Corsair Community

Asus A7V600 (KT600) Memory Issues.

biohazard2k

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Asus.. One person there had a similar problem and it came to the conclusion that his A7V600 was defective. RMA time. His board was also running hot at 60c as well as his voltages were on the high side on auto. Glad you told me that the parts you are currently using are from another system that reports cooler temps. Now I'm kinda wondering if your board is functioning correctly. Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah, if I have the Vcore set at auto, Asus probe says its at 1.75 volts. If it set it manually to 1.65, the probe says it's 1.664. I guess it was kinda hot out last night, now, this morning my temps are 48ish C. I also have that silver compound, too... DANG I HATE SENDING MOBO's BACK!!! This is my 3rd motherboard in 2 months, I'm getting sick of it! LOL BioHaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I set all those settings in the BIOS again, except now it's at a 10 for a multiple. Everything is runnin' fine, I can ever reboot. I have the A/C on and my 18in room fan blowin' on it, and I'm getting 50C in probe, so that isn't too bad. I don't think my board is bad, I just think my CPU can't handle 2.2ghz. I think I might leave it at this setting, everything (so far) seems to be working. BioHaz

WOO HOO!!! I put it to the multiple of 11x, and it's running fine! At 2.2ghz my temp is around 51-53c. I just have to have this 18in fan blowing, and the A/C running. I think most of my problem is my case, it isn't aluminum, it's metal, and it's all enclosed without many holes. There is just fans in the front, and the back of the case. So you were right, it was heat, that was the problem. So now I either need a new case, and/or a CPU HSF. What kind of case do you have (can I see a pick of it?) BioHaz

Hi Biohaz, I have a Koolcases Aluminum Silver case with a nice side window. I think its a clone of the popular chieftec or popular Xaser cases. I used to have a metal case and for some reason it would hold heat it and plus it was heavy. But the Aluminum case is light. So when I got this case I modded it with a sideblowhole fan and a topblowhole fan. The topblowhole fan is a 120mm size. the side is a 70mm fan. I used a dremel to modd my case. I always turn on my system with the A/C on. I'm glad you got your system is up and running. I'm glad to help, Psygnosi:D[IMG]http://store2.yimg.com/I/koolcases_1748_9076127[/IMG]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Hi Biohaz, I have a Koolcases Aluminum Silver case with a nice side window. I think its a clone of the popular chieftec or popular Xaser cases. I used to have a metal case and for some reason it would hold heat it and plus it was heavy. But the Aluminum case is light. So when I got this case I modded it with a sideblowhole fan and a topblowhole fan. The topblowhole fan is a 120mm size. the side is a 70mm fan. I used a dremel to modd my case. I always turn on my system with the A/C on. I'm glad you got your system is up and running. I'm glad to help, Psygnosi:D[IMG]http://store2.yimg.com/I/koolcases_1748_9076127[/IMG] [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah, now wonder your temps are a lot cooler, you got a awesome case with fans blowin' every which way.. The only way I can get mine cool, is if I take the side off, and have the A/C running in the room. How did you cut the holes? With a hole saw? How did that work? Does it look nice? Here is what my case looks like, it's pretty, but rather hot... [url]http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=43_82&products_id=388[/url] . I have a 120mm in the front, blowin' in, and 2-80mm blowing out in the back, + the 90mm in the Enermax PSU blowing up then out the back of the PSU. What are you using to read your temps? MBM5 says my CPU is 50C, AIDA32 Says it's 50C, & ASUS Probe says it's 60C!!! Who should I trust? Is ASUS probe readin' the temp from the diode? Could that be the reason it seems so hot? BioHaz

Hi again Biohaz, I used a dremel to cut the holes for the fans. But you have a nice case I think it just needs a side fan to blow air in. My side fan in the window blows air in. right on the cpu. This is evident since you have to take your side panel off. I use asus probe to check my temps. Compare it with the temp in the bios. psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]My MB temp is 32c and my Cpu is 42c. Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] So mine isn't too bad. Your temps are about 10C apart, while mine is usually 15-17C apart. That is most likely due to the HSF I have (Tt Volcano 11+), it isn't the best cooler, not to mention, I have the fan at a slower speed (3200rpm) so it ain't a freaking wind tunnel. Another thing, Where is the CPU heat sensor located on this board? This Volcano 11+ sends the heat up/down rather then the sides, maybe that is why it is warmer, then the other board I had. Also when I touch the HSF Base while it's on (I know, it isn't a good thing to do :greengrin) , it ain't very warm. I reseated the HSF, and I get the same temps, so that isn't the problem. Also, I just looked at a review on a website([url]http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/tt-socketa-volcano11/[/url]), and it says the temps they got at 3200rpm is 61C. So really, my temps are dead on.

I got the Aeroflow that you suggested, and it does cool quite well. Except, it has a lot of vibrations. Or in other words it seems to wobble a lot. It is going 5600 rpm according to the BIOS. Does your's wobble? I have my computer on a metal stand, and I sure can hear it now days... Is yours on the carpet, how loud is your computer? BioHaz

Thats wierd? Mine does not wobble. Its also quiet. I think you should take it back and get another one. It might be defective. It might be the magnetic ring on the fan might be warped. While you are at the store get a tube of Artic Silver III - this will help your vantec aeroflow cool even further! Hope this helps, Psygnosi:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by psygnosi [/i] [B]Thats wierd? Mine does not wobble. Its also quiet. I think you should take it back and get another one. It might be defective. It might be the magnetic ring on the fan might be warped. While you are at the store get a tube of Artic Silver III - this will help your vantec aeroflow cool even further! Hope this helps, Psygnosi:) [/B][/QUOTE] I already have Artic Silver III... (Great stuff!) It doesn't wobble too much.. see my computer case is on a metal wall TV stand, so any bit of movement from the computer I can hear. Heck, even the hard drives seems to make noise. If I put my computer on the ground (carpet) I don't hear it wobble at all, infact it's quite quiet... So basically, I think the problem is the stand my computer is currently on.

Hmm, I haven't changed much (New Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card), and now in AIDA 32 it says my FSB is set to 165(331) (instead of the usual 166(333)). Also the Memory is lower then it is set at in the BIOS, it's off by 2 points, it should be at 200(400) but it is at 198(397). What would cause this? Do you think the video card is causing this? Or do you think it's something else? When I manually set it to the overclocking settings that you gave me before it shows the FSB and memory frequencys correctly. BioHaz

UPDATE: I took my new radeon card out, and put a old PCI video card in, and guess what, my FSB, and Ram frequency is correct. I guess it was the Radeon 9800 Pro after all. Why would it be the videocard? Could it be that extra external molex power plug on the card? Is there some setting I could adjust to make it the correct FSB/Mem Freq.? I've already tried many different AGP voltage settings, but that didn't change anything, what else could I adjust, that might help it? BioHaz

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]I think I would talk to ASUS and to ATI and see if they have some suggestions. that really sounds like some problem between the 2 Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Ok, thanks... Do you think I should worry about this problem? BioHaz

• Corsair Employee
Well Actually I have emailed both of them with a link to this post and I know they are both looking into the problem. But honestly it's way out of my ball park. But If they contact me I will sure let you know. maybe email there tech support would be a good place to start [email]tsd@asus.com.tw[/email] and I am not sure about ATI. Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Well Actually I have emailed both of them with a link to this post and I know they are both looking into the problem. But honestly it's way out of my ball park. But If they contact me I will sure let you know. maybe email there tech support would be a good place to start [email]tsd@asus.com.tw[/email] and I am not sure about ATI. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Thanks for the help! I've already e-mailed both ATI, and ASUS, no reply yet. I tried my video card on a MSI based motherboard, and no such problems. I also tried it on a Biostar motherboard, no problems as well. So I'm guessing it's the Asus board not liking this 9800 pro. When I put any other old video card into this A7V600, it doesn't show the FSB/Mem Freq. being off course. BioHaz

• Corsair Employee
My Contact at ASUS told me that they are looking at the issue in R&D. I would look for the latest beta bios at [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600[/url] And the latest it looks like 1.006 Beta 3. [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600/1006-003.zip[/url] Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]My Contact at ASUS told me that they are looking at the issue in R&D. I would look for the latest beta bios at [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600[/url] And the latest it looks like 1.006 Beta 3. [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600/1006-003.zip[/url] Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Dang, I wish people would listen to me when I send them e-mails... Most of them think, there is just another geek who doesn't know what they're talking about. It'll be interesting what ATI says to you. Thanks for the links... I'll try them out later. BioHaz

Archived