Corsair Community

K95 flickers

Yeah, where do you think that nice technical explanation about the limitations of the LED controller came from? :roll:

The colors are technically there: You can set static lighting to 16.8m colors (reasonably, I'm not actually able/willing to test it). The problem is that the implementation is visually unappealing (flicker) when using lighting effects due to the limitations of the LED controller in the keyboard.

Yeah; sorry I was in a rush, I was meaning have they given up with the smoother animations (it literally looks like there is less than 512 colors with the flickering)

It would be interesting to know what actually went wrong between Corsair first deciding to develop an RGB keyboard and what we have today.

I wonder at what point did they realise that there was no way they could get 16.8 million colour fast and fluid animation (without the flicker) ?

I believe the first reports that they would be selling these RGB keyboards was early 2014. That means they had at least 18 months to develop the hardware and software.

Assuming that they started from scratch at the start of 2014, the "final" product was available about 9 months later. It was released with limited colour range, which Corsair obviously knew about. Why was it released like this ? Maybe the software team hadn't had time to implement the full colour range, but that does seem a bit odd. I would have thought that if the hardware was capable of full colour range (with the claimed fluid animation), then it would have been available on the day the keyboards were put on sale. Maybe they already knew that the hardware was going to cause problems in getting 16.8m colours, so they cut the colour range down in order to get the product released.

What puzzles me is that they don't appear to have built a prototype to test the lighting properly. This was going to be one of the first, and most advanced RGB mechanical keyboards available. I would have thought that one of the first things to do would be to put a hardware prototype together and cobble together some test software to make sure that the fundamental functions work properly. The key input side of things was already mostly "sorted" in existing non-RGB Kxx keyboards, so all they had to concentrate on is getting the RGB lighting to work properly. At this stage it would have been obvious if there was going to be a problem with flicker (or any other issues). It would have been possible to go back to the drawing board and make changes to the hardware to produce the lighting that we all wanted to see. Instead, it seems that the development and testing was rushed, or even skipped before the product was put into production. Then we had the 6 month+ wait while the update was sorted. I wonder if they already knew about the flicker early on, and were spending a lot of time trying to sort it.

The bottom line is that if you announce a new product that has "new" or special features, it's usually best if you make sure that you can actually deliver those special features when you start selling it.

I hope we do see a new version of these keyboards, as they are very good in most other areas.

My betting is we'll see am RGB keyboard with V2 hardware soon, and Us with the V1 that we're in fact beta testers will just get shafted.

That's what I think will happen.

Time to get a refund and wait to see what happens. At least I now know that I like brown MX keys.

It would be interesting to know what actually went wrong between Corsair first deciding to develop an RGB keyboard and what we have today.

I wonder at what point did they realise that there was no way they could get 16.8 million colour fast and fluid animation (without the flicker) ?

I believe the first reports that they would be selling these RGB keyboards was early 2014. That means they had at least 18 months to develop the hardware and software.

Assuming that they started from scratch at the start of 2014, the "final" product was available about 9 months later. It was released with limited colour range, which Corsair obviously knew about. Why was it released like this ? Maybe the software team hadn't had time to implement the full colour range, but that does seem a bit odd. I would have thought that if the hardware was capable of full colour range (with the claimed fluid animation), then it would have been available on the day the keyboards were put on sale. Maybe they already knew that the hardware was going to cause problems in getting 16.8m colours, so they cut the colour range down in order to get the product released.

What puzzles me is that they don't appear to have built a prototype to test the lighting properly. This was going to be one of the first, and most advanced RGB mechanical keyboards available. I would have thought that one of the first things to do would be to put a hardware prototype together and cobble together some test software to make sure that the fundamental functions work properly. The key input side of things was already mostly "sorted" in existing non-RGB Kxx keyboards, so all they had to concentrate on is getting the RGB lighting to work properly. At this stage it would have been obvious if there was going to be a problem with flicker (or any other issues). It would have been possible to go back to the drawing board and make changes to the hardware to produce the lighting that we all wanted to see. Instead, it seems that the development and testing was rushed, or even skipped before the product was put into production. Then we had the 6 month+ wait while the update was sorted. I wonder if they already knew about the flicker early on, and were spending a lot of time trying to sort it.

The bottom line is that if you announce a new product that has "new" or special features, it's usually best if you make sure that you can actually deliver those special features when you start selling it.

I hope we do see a new version of these keyboards, as they are very good in most other areas.

Heres what I BELIEVE happened Cherry MX announces theyve developed an RGB switch, corsair looking to create a new market segment (RGB keyboards) managed to secure an exclusivity deal for an untold some for an untold time period (maybe a year?)

The snake orgy brand having been an original user of cherry swtiches (in the gaming kb market anyway) gets offended and sources replacement switches as retribution against cherry (ie not giving them business). And other brands have followed suit.

Now with their exclusivity secured corsair had to rush to get the board together and onto the market to ensure their dominance in the RGB mechboard segment with the only cherry switches.

In their haste to get a board out they didnt adequately test the individual chips involved its also possible original chip the engineering team wanted was either in low supply or months away from availability and so they opted for the next best thing available. Whatever the case may be we ended up here with inadequate hardware.

once again this is my conjecture based on what Ive seen going on in the market place.

That's what I think will happen.

Time to get a refund and wait to see what happens. At least I now know that I like brown MX keys.

I dont see how they can keep that return policy up if they plan on making a v2 though.

I dont see how they can keep that return policy up if they plan on making a v2 though.

Mine is being collected by the retailer.

In any case while they are still selling "v1" they are likely to continue to get a few returns unless it's made clear that there is flicker with 16.8m colour animation.

When paying "top dollar" for a product a lot of people expect "top performance", or at least that the product does what the manufacturer/vendor claims.

Archived