Corsair Community

CMX512-3200(XL) issues

zitstif

on my AMD machine i just reinstalled windows not too long ago.. as a matter of fact like a few days ago.. and i started noticing something odd.. if i left the system idle for about 2 hours the system would totally freeze on me.. then some one suggested to do a memory test with memtest.. which i did and it came up with one error.. now here's the part that makes me question this... I can run 3dmark05 for a coulpe of hours looping no problem.. and battlefield 1942 for a couple of hours with no problems... and my current screen saver is an avast one (when the system goes idle the avast scanner goes on as part of the screen saver.. and it begins scanning and as long as my system isn't idle i don't have the lock up problem...

What do you think i should do? do you think i should dish out the 150 for another stick of ram to replace the "bad" one? or should i try to keep the system non idle? (so to speak lol)

One other thing I noticed is when i turned the CAS latency to 2.5 in bios Memtest took longer to find an error...

System specs:

Asus A8V deluxe wifi rev 1.02 (newest bios.. 10008 orwhatever it is) temp 23C

CPU: AMD 64 3500+ 939 pin 130 nm Idle temp = 37-38C @ 2.4 Ghz

two sticks of CMX512-3200(XL) in dual channel mode populated in the first blue slot and the second in the next blue slot over

FSB: 218MHz

Operating system Windows XP pro

current timings of RAM:

CAS # Latency: 2.5

RAS to CAS delay: 3 clocks

RAS precharge: 2 clocks

Cycle time: 5 clocks

Bank Cycle time: 11 clocks

DRAM Idle timer: 16 clocks

and Btw .. in bios i left all of those options auto besides the Cas latency which i put at 2.5.. 2.5 seemd to be less problematic.

• Corsair Employee

Please put the memory module on slot 1 & 3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 4

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived