Corsair Community

Corsair Link 2.7.5361/FW 1.0.7 bricked my H100i

palqo

This is completely ludicrous. how does this sort of software update pass QA? I had 2 new H100i units off the shelf of best buy work flawless in 2 different builds as they were being assembled, patched, os installed only to have the cooler bricked upon installing corsair link and the FW flash. Now these builds are going to take twice as long as I now have to pull them completely apart. Who knows how long its going to take to get replacement H100is

@palqo: I ran in exactly the same issue with h100i: fimware update failed, red led on the pump, cpu_fan error from mb, fans run very speedy and loud and the main issue I can't see my h100i anymore in Link and in listed PC devices under USB.

I wrote a ticket to Corsair and they opened RMA procedure for me. But I prefer to solve this issue in someway without have to send the unit back. Did you find a way to reflash firmware to h100i?

No, no fix exists it seems. I've tried all possible and impossible suggestions, Link 2.4 just says device not connected when I try to flash, doesn't matter if it's 1.05 or 1.07. It just doesn't communicate anymore, although the pump is running (i7-4770K@4,4GHz@30°C@Full fan speed). I even did this:

On certain Intel motherboards (Z87/Z97) that use the Intel USB 3.0 drivers it is necessary to change the “Legacy USB Support” to Disabled in BIOS for detection of the H80i/H100i/Commander units.

You're lucky you can at least RMA yours, I've bought it 2nd hand and don't even have any receipt from a retailer (although the guy selling it said he's got one and will send it, but he didn't and didn't reply to my repeated request recently). As you can see, the only official reply from Corsair in this thread is saying that it's being passed to PM (problem management???) to make them aware. For me in between the lines it reads:

A) This thing wasn't tested prior to release (and since upgrade to 1.07 was known to destroy the unit in previous Link versions and it's all over the internet and forums, I just can't understand this decision, especially when Link 2.6 already had 1.07 included and never offered me an upgrade)

B) No statement like hold on to this thread, we'll get back to you, or open an RMA, doesn't matter you don't have a receipt, it was our fault anyway, or any sticky thread at least with a warning, don't update to 1.07, not even known issues mentions this. So it's basically "screw you", sorry for the choice of words, I couldn't find anything better to express it.

• Corsair Employee

PM = Product Manager. I've seen a rash of issues with 1.0.7 and the H80i/H100i on the forums so I'm working with the Product Managers for the coolers and for Corsair Link along with our validations department to get these things duplicated and resolved.

As for your current dilemma, I do suggest opening an RMA and seeing what we can do to help you out.

Thanks for taking the time for reply and clarification. If Link 2.7 really caused a rush of failures I can imagine you're really busy with it. Although I couldn't find much about it on these forums when I started the thread. Also it's interesting how people with newly bought coolers that have 1.05 still show up, although 1.07 is around for quite some time.

I'd say pray for 1.07 :) and if you have 1.05, just keep it. As far as I know and saw comments on the internet, manual upgrade to 1.07 always failed. Or at least users with success don't come to the forums to notify others, it's the ones with failed upgrades that come to complain. But when I was searching to update to 1.07 some half year ago, I found only threads discouraging to update, since manual upgrades always failed and only factory installed units with 1.07 existed. Also as far as I remember 1.07 didn't have any significant improvements worth having (I think only the rattling noise it sometimes does was fixed). This is all that I remember from half a year ago, I didn't re-verify it.

I knew about the problems of Link before I was buying it. But since I consider myself an advanced user, I thought I'll be able to handle it and the complaints throughout the internet are just inexperienced users. I've been troubleshooting windows and hardware problems 15 years and when I don't have a problem, some friend always comes with something I've never seen, so I'm also a trouble magnet. But I've never seen anything like the Link software. It's behavior is really inconsistent and unpredictable between versions and even throughout the life of the same version. I've had readings and functions appearing and disappearing so many times and in so many ways, I've lost track of it and never was there a version where all of them worked. It's really a pity that several years after the release, it's still not working properly, since the potential and added value are really big.

I had my H100i upgraded to firmware 1.07 a while ago and I used software 2.5.xxxx without any real problem. But that was on windows 7 x64 ultimate.

Now on my (fresh installed) windows 8.1 pro x64 with mediaplayer, I installed the latest software (atm. 2.7.5361).

Now the H100i Temp (degrees), MSI Motherboard fan 0 (that's the power MB access point for the CPU cooler), Intel Core i7-3930K Temp icons are flashing red.! < This didn't happen with the old software. :(

Also, because of all the errors Corsair Link generates, windows 8.1 is quite unstable now and it even causes crashes (BSOD's).! Kinda strange imho.

For the responsible Corsair people:

Any idea / ETA when there will be a software update so everything will work as it should with the H100i on windows 7/8/8.1?

I think it has to do something with the usb drivers.

That's interesting, 2.5 is actually non-existent anymore. All the available links point to a corsair website with removed file. 2.4 is the only available option for upgrade. If you have it, could you make it available somewhere?

Regarding the latest version, the situation is same in my case. Flapping readings between actual and zero. Version 2.7.5339 didn't have this problem.

Hi i bought a h80i last week which had the 1.05 firmware in it

and after installing the latest link software 2.7.5361 i had the problems with red flashing gauges.

so i tried several versions and the 2.7.5339 worked without a problem.

after that i did the firmware upgrade to 1.07 and my unit was gone no readings at all. Then i started fiddeling with the usb header and finally my device was recognized again and i put it back to firmware 1.05 conclusion is that the latest link software is causing the red flashes with the gauges and not the 1.07 firmware.

I am using windows 7 enterprise 64 bit.

I'm happy you were able to fix your unit, but could you also tell everyone here with dead units that have no fix, what you did to make the software recognize the unresponding unit? Thank you.

well my unit was connected to the internal usb header so i took a standard micro usb cable and connected it to an external usb port of my machine

but first you have to remove all of your usb devices in the hardware settings so that they can be discovered again when you startup again and by starting up you first let the usb cable from the hydro system out of the usb port also make sure you have removed the link software because you don't need that to have the system recognize the device. once your system is started up and the usb devices have been rediscovered plug in the hydro usb cable in a usb port on the back or front of your machine and pray it discovers the bugger.

if it is discovered you should have a hid (human interface device) in your hardware list which holds 1b1c in the hardware id as long as that entry is not in your list the device is not recognized by your system.

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Archived