Corsair Community

Potentially bad stick of cmx512-3200LLPro

stray

Wanted to get some other users opinons/suggestions, RMA if need be. Started having issues with Windows XP Pro BSOD on boot. Long story short, replaced the cmx512-3200llpro stick with an older cmx256-2700c2, problems go away. System specs are as follows:

DFI LanParty 875P-T

Intel P4 (530) LGA775 @ 3ghz (stock cooling for the moment)

The sticks of RAM listed above

XFX GeForce 6800

2 WD 80gb SATA Hard drives in RAID 0

1 Maxtor 120gb IDE Hard drive

1 Memorex CD-RW

Enermax 465w PSU

BIOS is the most recent avail (9/1/04), all stock/default settings

Current RAM settings are by SPD: 2.5-6-3-2 w/Dimm Voltage @ 2.6

After reading through several posts on this forum (extremely informative & a huge help) and a few others, ran both the Windows RAM Diagnostic and MemTest86 v 1.27. MemTest found 2808 errors in 3 passes, the Windows tool found 140 errors in 2 passes. I've tried both sticks in other systems with similar results, so for the moment I'm limping along with the 256mb DDR 333. Any ideas are appreciated

stray

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 Or Twinx1024-3200LL

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command Per Clock: 1T

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

Genie BIOS

Clock Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

DRAM Voltage 2.75 volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Applied settings as listed, some were not available; specifically sdram burst length, and the clock spread spectrum was disabled or one of four percentages, so i left if at the default percentage. Dimm voltage could only be set to 2.7 or 2.8, no .05 increments, so I used 2.7v. I ran memtest86 twice for 3 passes apiece. Errors were 170 & 162 respectively. Obviously a huge improvement. System will now boot into Windows without error (so far) using the cmx512-3200llpro stick, but I think I'll run some more stress testing to see if it holds under a load. Any other suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated

• Corsair Employee
Please try to set it at 2.8 volts and at least 1.6 volts for your AGP card, and make sure that you have enough wattage (PSU) on your system; in addition any additional PCI card installed on the system, make sure you do not have anything on PCI slot# 4 since it is sharing IRQ with the AGP card, so try/avoid not to use it.

Archived