Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF and Asus P5Q-E

WAPC

Hey everyone... I'm in need of assistance to try and get this sorted out as I've been having issues with trying to run 8GB of the 8500C5DF on an ASUS P5Q-E Motherboard.

To give you some background, I've printed off various threads found throughout the internet on this particular RAM module to try and get the system stable as its not been for months.

When I first purchased the two kits and was having various issues with it, I commenced down the path of researching of what was happening so I could have the system up and running, nice and sweet and with no problems. In fact, I had been running the system with 8GB of generic DDR2-800MHz RAM without any problems and I went ahead and purchased the Corsair RAM because the Windows Vista system rating said everything was at the highest value except for the RAM and I wanted the perfect score!

I put the order in to the distributor and they sent me the two kits and after the system was unstable I had noticed that the kits had been of two different revisions. RV-1.1 and RV-2.1 and after a series of Memtest+ tests the RAM was RMA'd and replaced with 2 kits of RV-2.1 that are identical with the only difference between the 2 kits is a value of 1 on the serial number. (XXXXX1 & XXXXX2).

Thought it could be heat related and purchased a new case (Lian Li V1010) as that would've fixed any chances of heat issues.

What made everything horrific is that the DDR2-800 generic RAM would run perfect, no problems with the system and insert the Corsair RAM and down she goes!

During this time I had nothing but serious issues with the system crashing almost all the time if left on for a period of time, frequency manually set to DDR2-800, DRAM Voltage at 2.1V, NB Voltage at 1.3V and almost everything I've spotted on the threads. I also started to get BIOS corruption issues and was only able to recover from that by creating a WIN98 bootable USB Flash Drive with afudos and flashing the memory that way. The BIOS revision is the latest 2101. The BIOS corruption got that bad that it would do a BIOS recovery and when it rebooted, it was corrupt and it entered a loop.

The ASUS P5Q-E board was RMA'd after consultation with ASUS RMA division with the suggestion of a faulty Northbridge controller after sending them a few memory dumps as I was ready to throw the entire system out the door and return the RAM requesting a full refund.

Last week I received a call from the distributor who advised that ASUS replaced the board with the ASUS P5Q-E WIFI/AP (not that I minded, although, I probably won't use the WIFI component) which left me with, new RAM and a new Motherboard and I purchased a new CPU cooler and started using the ASUS Silent Knight II cooler compared to the stock standard Intel CPU cooler.

I had also ordered two more drives so that I could do a fresh install of Windows7 Ultimate 64bit which went well. For a few days the system was running great guns.... until I turned off the "Sleep after 30 minutes" and left the system on overnight. The advantage of Windows7 over Vista is that with WIN7, I now get BSoD's which advises me what's happening.

I'm not an expert when it comes to debugging these Memory Dump files but as I had purchased the Windows 7 Resource Kit, the back of the book contained information about common Bug Check errors and BSoD's which had been happening to me and on all occasions it suggested that RAM is the issue. In fact, my system has crashed so much and that often that the Windows 7 installation is beyond repair and even the sfc /scannow advises that it can not repair the system. However, all I'm after is to get the system stable with the expensive RAM that I had paid for.

The majority of the errors I received had been SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which generally point to either L2 Cache RAM, Physical RAM or Video RAM. Given that the system has crashed so much, I knew that the chances of the video card drivers being faulty are a possibility. Thus, cleaned the drivers, upgraded to the BETA version of Intel ICH10R RAID drivers and installed the latest ATI drivers and uninstalled the anti-virus to remove any software/driver related causes.

With fantastic support from ASUS RMA division, throughout the past two weeks, I've managed to get the system somewhat stable at 1:00 AM this morning, albeit the system having memory lags (possibly caused by faulty system files) but this is what I had to do.

DRAM Speed - 800MHz

DRAM Voltage - 2.1V

DRAM Timing - 5-5-5-15

NB Voltage - 1.3V

AI Clock Twister - Strong

DRAM Read Training - Disabled

DRAM Static Read Control - Disabled

and I woke up this morning and the system was still running.... YAY.... had some sort of success but the performance is just not there.

What also made it frustrating is that the system would crash, even when trying to run it at DDR2-667 with the standard JEDEC settings. The RAM wasn't even overclocked and it was still unstable. Thus, straight away I ran Memtest+ and faults found. Thought... ok... this is the memory controller.... waited a few minutes, rebooted and ran Memtest+ with all 4 modules installed for 8 hours and no errors found.....

I've done the run the system with only 1 stick of RAM and still "CRASH!"

I am honestly at a loss with all this and have had nothing but troubles and need advice on what to do and most important what settings are guaranteed to work? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I happened to start another thread about this very same set of RAM. And I have similar problems! I'm trying to get some attention from Corsair to hopefully start some meaningful discussion about this.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83351

I can't say this with high statistical confidence, but just looking around...it all points to some kind of issue with the TWIN2X4096 at its heart.

I happened to start another thread about this very same set of RAM. And I have similar problems!

I spotted the thread only a few seconds ago had a read of it and then noticed the post in reply to mine. I can surely feel the frustration that other people have and I've got no idea what is causing it. In terms of price.... I'm getting better reliability & performance from a spending a couple of $'s for generic cheap RAM that doesn't even appear on the QVL for the board compared to spending a triple figure dollar amount on this particular module. The person I've been dealing with at ASUS RMA division is going to see if the ASUS Tech Department can help figure something out as there is a significant number of end users that are suffering this exact same issue.

I've spent months trying to figure this out and a lot of $$$$'s with new video cards, new cases..... if I hadn't been so greedy for speed then I would not have gone down this path. Mind you... I wouldn't have the Lian Li case (which I love)......

What I find confusing is that I checked which RAM modules are on the ASUS QVL at 1066MHz with all 4 banks populated and thought... fantastic... slot them in, adjust the BIOS and it'll be sweet.... only its not. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What I find confusing is that I checked which RAM modules are on the ASUS QVL at 1066MHz with all 4 banks populated and thought... fantastic... slot them in, adjust the BIOS and it'll be sweet.... only its not. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please take a closer look at the ASUS specifications. No DDR2 board at all guarantees 4up at 1066. It's well beyond the Intel spec for the memory controller.

As far a what settings are guaranteed to work, there are none guaranteed when you are mixing 2 separate kits. You are running an untested configuration and exceeding the capacity of the memory controller.

Can you list ALL the information from the stickers on each module please?

I happened to start another thread about this very same set of RAM. And I have similar problems! I'm trying to get some attention from Corsair to hopefully start some meaningful discussion about this.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83351

I can't say this with high statistical confidence, but just looking around...it all points to some kind of issue with the TWIN2X4096 at its heart.

Your case is not applicable here. The OP in this thread is running 2 unmatched kits for a total of 4 modules.

Your case is not applicable here. The OP in this thread is running 2 unmatched kits for a total of 4 modules.

From the original post:

I've done the run the system with only 1 stick of RAM and still "CRASH!"

Please take a closer look at the ASUS specifications. No DDR2 board at all guarantees 4up at 1066. It's well beyond the Intel spec for the memory controller.

You may want to read the Qualified Vendor List from the M/B Manufacturer.

Box P/N:TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (CM2X2048-8500C5D)(EPP) CL5-5-5-15 - Supports A* B* C* where A* = Supports one module inserted into either slot as Single-channel memory configuration - B* = Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the yellow or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration and C* Supports 4 modules inserted into both the yellow and black as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration.

As mentioned above, they are all identical chips, same batch, 2.1V, revision 2.1 and the serial numbers are only out by 1. The distributor made sure that they were the same chips, same revision, same batch.

We must be looking at different QVLs. I checked the list in the manual and the main QVL from the Asus Global site. Nowhere does it state they support any 4 modules at 1066 nor does it state that they support 8GB at 1066. Those QVLs can be misleading.

I've attached the QVL for the motherboard in case you had been looking at a different website, or the manual which the QVL in the manual is outdated as a result of firmware updates.

The RAM modules I have are:

4 x CM2X2048-8500C5D - XMS2-8500 - 2048MB - 1066MHz - 5-5-5-15 - 2.10V -ver2.1 - 09250709 - N11360 - acctxxxx1005 & acctxxxx1006

I understand that there is a mathematical equation involved and that trying to run 4 "1066" chips turns out to be something like 2132MHz and the memory controller starts freaking out and we see faults/errors being generated when running Memtest+ immediately after a system crash, but when the system is cold there is no fault. This is my theory behind why the memory chips fault after a system crash, but turn the system off and back on and run memtest for 8 hours and no fault found.

Now the brochure for this RAM states that the SPD is programmed at JEDEC 5-5-5-18 (1.8V) at 800MHz (system still crash's) and EPP 5-5-5-15-2T (2.1V) and I'm able to run 8GB (4 x 2GB) of ordinary (non-Corsair) RAM at 800MHz and I don't have a problem. The system runs great, in fact I use 2 sticks (as I sold 2 when I got the Corsair RAM) everytime the system failed on the Corsair RAM to get it back up and running and to continue doing my accounts for the business. I've tried running the RAM at the JEDEC SPD settings at 800MHz and not have had any issues. I wasn't to fussed about running it at 1066MHz because I knew that would make the memory controller go crazy and not be able to keep up. However, it should be able to cope with 8GB at 800MHz and JEDEC standards and its not, system crash's with reference to memory errors.

I've made contact with the distributor because I purchased the original set early this year and as I'm not getting any results or support other than getting told the QVLs are misleading (what are you saying? the RAM isn't compatible)

I've been building and selling systems & components for a number years and can fault find issues that some of todays "experts" can't seem to resolve and in all honesty, I've never experienced something so weird and am stumped.

I've tried just about everything and I'm not getting results. I've spent $300 AUD on these modules (excluding labor costs in an attempt to resolve it, the courier costs) and have gone through 8 chips to date. This system is critical and it needs to be up and running in order to complete the relevant quarterly tax reports.

In summary, I need results and reliability. I came here in order to obtain "support" from Corsair as the fault I'm experiencing is an issue with the RAM. I don't want to be told that "QVL's are misleading" as that tells me that the RAM is not really compatible and that the product shouldn't be listed on the QVL. If I can't get the "support" or the "results" I'm after, can you advise how I can go about submitting an RMA and obtain a refund (return RAM to Corsair and not replace them)?

P5Q-E-QVL.zip

1. Why did you create a 2nd account instead of replying from your first one?

2. "trying to run 4 "1066" chips turns out to be something like 2132MHz" - Totally incorrect.

Ultimately Corsair CANNOT guarantee compatibility between two pairs. Why? Because they have not tested them together. They also cannot refund you because they did not sell the memory to you, the store did.

If each pair by itself doesn't run at spec (1066 @ 2.1v, 5-5-5-15), then I'm sure they'll gladly replace your memory under warranty.

Like I stated before, ask Asus if they have tested four sticks AT 1066 MHz.

1. Why did you create a 2nd account instead of replying from your first one?

2. "trying to run 4 "1066" chips turns out to be something like 2132MHz" - Totally incorrect.

1 - The forums we're timing out with IIS errors and wouldn't allow me to login. It did allow me to create a second account which would allow me to finally post a reply since I've been trying since Friday.

2. I'M TRYING TO RUN THE RAM AT 800MHZ!!!!!!! NOT 1066MHZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what this situation amounts to:

You are running a memory configuration not supported by ASUS. Apparently you are misinterpreting the QVL list.

You are running a memory configuration not supported by Corsair.

Your options at this point are very simple. Determine if you have any defective modules in either of the 2 kits you are using. If you do, RMA with your vendor or with Corsair. There's an RMA link to your left on this page.

As a system builder, I am certain you understand that the actual troubleshooting falls upon you. So, once you evaluate your memory and your system, if you decide that you cannot use the Corsair memory, I suggest you revisit the issue with your vendor and see what options they can offer.

Here is what this situation amounts to:

You are running a memory configuration not supported by ASUS. Apparently you are misinterpreting the QVL list.

No, I believe that you're mistaken and that you are misinterpreting the QVL.

The TWIN2X2048-8500C5D does not support 4 modules.

The TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF does support 4 modules.

I agree that trying to run 4 modules at 1066MHz isn't possible but what I'm saying to you, which IMHO no one appears to be understanding is that it can't handle running at 667MHz or 800MHz at both EPP or JEDEC standards and I want to know why that is, especially when the RAM modules aren't being reported as a fault? Is there something I'm missing, is it a setting that I've not done right or overlooked?

There's something obviously not right, I can't even get the system stable on 2 modules at JEDEC config settings @ 800MHz yet when I test the RAM after 3 minutes, no errors found. Yet, put another brand in and the system is stable and put the Corsair RAM in and the system crash's in minutes.

Something is screwed up and in the spirit of good customer service, I want to know why otherwise I can't sell something that I can not support and giving them a referral to the "support" forums will only lead my customers in further frustration. It's a life line, so step up to the plate!

No, I believe that you're mistaken and that you are misinterpreting the QVL.

The TWIN2X2048-8500C5D does not support 4 modules.

We are trying to tell you that there is a difference between supporting four modules and supporting four modules AT 1066 MHz. The 1066 MHz is the clear difference. This is why I keep stating that you should check with Asus to clear up their QVL, as it's THEIR QVL. They are making that statement of support, NOT Corsair.

QVL aside, Corsair has NEVER stated that they will support two kits together. They have in fact said that they can only support memory as they were sold because they were tested in that configuration and in no other configurations.

I agree that trying to run 4 modules at 1066MHz isn't possible but what I'm saying to you, which IMHO no one appears to be understanding is that it can't handle running at 667MHz or 800MHz at both EPP or JEDEC standards and I want to know why that is, especially when the RAM modules aren't being reported as a fault? Is there something I'm missing, is it a setting that I've not done right or overlooked?
Not supporting this aside, it's the memory controller of the motherboard.

There's something obviously not right, I can't even get the system stable on 2 modules at JEDEC config settings @ 800MHz yet when I test the RAM after 3 minutes, no errors found. Yet, put another brand in and the system is stable and put the Corsair RAM in and the system crash's in minutes.
Test one stick at a time in the same slot @ 2.1v using Memtest86+ v4.00. 3 full loops is good enough.

Something is screwed up and in the spirit of good customer service, I want to know why otherwise I can't sell something that I can not support and giving them a referral to the "support" forums will only lead my customers in further frustration. It's a life line, so step up to the plate!
? Why would you be selling them? Are you a reseller, and if so, who is your distributor? If you mean selling them as an end user, it would behoof you to read the warranty page of Corsair's site, as memory bought from an end user would have no warranty.

From the QVL:

DDR2 1066 4096MB(Kit of 2) CORSAIR

Heat-Sink Package

5-5-5-15 N/A DS

Box P/N:TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

(CM2X2048-8500C5D)(EPP)

NO, IT DOES NOT. This is not correct. I read the QVL and we deal with this with motherboard makers and their QVLs very frequently. The ASUS QVL is wrong or you are misinterpreting it. The fact that they note KIT OF 2 and yet indicate a "V" for 4 module support is a conflicting specification. This means they tested 1 kit of 2 modules which is the only way we sell this kit. I am sorry that you were misled here but you need to take that up with ASUS.

I agree that trying to run 4 modules at 1066MHz isn't possible but what I'm saying to you, which IMHO no one appears to be understanding is that it can't handle running at 667MHz or 800MHz

Situations like yours are perfect examples of why we do not even try to market a 4 module 1066 kit. A 4 module DDR800 kit is going to have different characteristics regardless of the frequency you choose; 667, 800, or 1066. So, simply because you can run 1 set of 4 modules at a given speed, this does not automatically mean 4 different modules will do the same thing even on the same board at the same settings.

We do extensive qualifications and this is exactly why we do not sell or recommend using 4 of these modules at all and at any speed. If you want 4 modules, buy a 4 module kit that is tested on your board. Those are tested by Corsair and we guarantee them to meet their specfications. Some boards do run 4 up at 1066 but it is hit and miss and cannot be guaranteed by the motherboard maker nor by Intel. Therefore, we certainly don't guarantee it.

.......at both EPP or JEDEC standards and I want to know why that is, especially when the RAM modules aren't being reported as a fault? Is there something I'm missing, is it a setting that I've not done right or overlooked?

I understand the point you are trying to make but, unfortunately, if it not correct.

First, EPP is an Nvidia standard and is not applicable to these modules when using an Intel chipset. Second, you are stating that the memory is not showing any defect so apparently the problem is not any of the individual modules or either seperate kit. Third, since you have not listed your troubleshooting methodology here, it's impossible to know.

At a glance, I'd say you need to try increasing your memory controller voltage since you are running 4 modules. Your board comes set up to run 2 modules, not 4 so the default setting on the north bridge is not likely going to cut it with these modules.

Your options at this point are very simple. Determine if you have any defective modules in either of the 2 kits you are using. If you do, RMA with your vendor or with Corsair. There's an RMA link to your left on this page.

As a system builder, I am certain you understand that the actual troubleshooting falls upon you. So, once you evaluate your memory and your system, if you decide that you cannot use the Corsair memory, I suggest you revisit the issue with your vendor and see what options they can offer.

I'm trying not to do the RMA if at all possible on the grounds that the RAM modules aren't faulty and from what you've said in regards to the memory controller that its the memory controller not being able to handle the settings. I don't like the idea of doing an RMA when the modules aren't faulty at all as it would be wasting Corsair's and the Distributor's time and money to only go round in circles.

I think the "Kit of 2" is only because you sell it in a "Kit of 2" but that's just my opinion and I could very well be wrong and you could very well be right but we can put the QVL issue to rest.

When I had the first 4 sticks (rev2.1 and rev1.1) I tried running only one modules as the two revisions generally meant 2 different IC's and may have issues. Yet, I was still having system stability issues running 1 kit at DDR2-667, 2.1V + 1.3V NB at 5-5-5-15. There have been other Corsair end-users that are experiencing the same difficulties and whilst I've not looked into it further, they could be in the same scenario as I'm in (Intel Memory Controller).

With the latest modules that I've received and the new motherboard, I was experiencing various issues as mentioned earlier in the thread and from the tests I've carried out on the original purchase and then the returned RMA'd modules there was a pattern that kept emerging.

Irrespective of what speed I was running at, the voltage and NB voltages, any time I tried to run a Memtest+ test immediately after a system crash the RAM would fault. Turn the system off for 5 minutes or so and then run Memtest+ and no faults are found. This is the same when gaming..... Turn the system on, play games, turn the system off and no problems. Turn the system on, browse the net, do work and turn the system off, no problems. Turn the system on, leave it on, after a few hours..... system dies.

Using the process of elimination, we can safely assume that:

• Motherboard - not faulty
  • RAM Modules - not faulty
  • PCI-Express Video Card - not faulty
  • PSU - not faulty

So then why does the system continue to crash (irrespective of number of modules installed), excluding corrupt system files?

As you've mentioned, EPP is an Nvidia standard which got me thinking whether the majority of people experiencing issues with the 8500C5DF kits are those that which come with the Intel Memory Controller and it appears that it may possibly explain why people are experiencing the faults found when running memtest directly after a system crash and then not after a few minutes.

I gave up trying to run the RAM at 1066MHz ages ago, and even gave up trying to run at 2.1V and would have been happy if it worked under the standard JEDEC 1.8V DDR2-800MHz speed but didn't have any luck and couldn't figure out why. The timing on the modules was automatically identified as 5-5-5-18.

After thinking about it some more, I'm starting to form the theory that the Intel memory controller is struggling to handle the timings at 5-5-5-15 at any voltage/speed ratings and may need to be reduced in order for it to work. What to try, this I'm not sure about and could be wrong as it could very well be something in the BIOS settings listed below.

The BIOS settings I've been using are:

• AI Overclock Tuner - Auto
  • CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
  • FSB Strap to Northbridge - Auto
  • DRAM Frequency - DDR2-800
  • DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 - Auto
  • DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 - Auto
  • DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 - Auto
  • DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 - Auto
  • DRAM Timing Control - Manual
  • CAS# Latency - 5
  • DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 5
  • DRAM RAS# Precharge - 5
  • DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge Time - 15
  • RAS# to RAS# Delay - Auto
  • Row Refresh Cycle Time - Auto
  • Write Recovery Time - Auto
  • Read to Precharge Time - Auto
  • 2nd & 3rd Information - all set to Auto
  • DRAM Static Read Control - Auto
  • DRAM Read Training - Auto
  • MEM. OC Charger - Auto
  • Ai Clock Twister - Auto
  • Ai Transaction Booster - Auto
  • CPU Voltage - Auto
  • CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2) - Auto
  • CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3) - Auto
  • CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
  • FSB Termination Voltage - Auto
  • DRAM Voltage - 2.1V
  • NB Voltage - 1.3V
  • NB GTL Reference - Auto
  • SB Voltage - Auto
  • PCIE Sata Voltage - Auto
  • Load Line Calibration - Auto
  • CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
  • NB Clock Skew - Auto
  • CPU Margin Enhancement - Performance
  • Memory Remap Feature - Enabled (Have 64bit OS installed)

I have recently disabled the DRAM Read Training & DRAM Static Read Control to enhance DRAM overclocking ability but when the system crashed again, I gave up and came to the support forums as I'm struggling to figure it out.

Note that I've not played around with the Ai Overclock Tuner settings, didn't know what to set it to so I didn't change anything and left it to auto.

I can only thing that something in the BIOS settings listed above that is set to Auto should be manually set and is resulting in the errors. I don't know at all.

Update - I just got off the phone to the RA department at the distributor and it was rather interesting that the person I spoke with had similar issues with an AMD board. He also mentioned that this module is actually one of the most stable that Corsair have released and that certain CPU's have issues with RAM running at 1066MHz. I also learnt that Intel is one of the best memory controller's where alterations to the memory configurations isn't required. It'll just work........

I've got the Intel Q6600 which does have 1066MHz FSB but I could very well have one of the ones that have issues trying to run the RAM. (Not really 100% sure)

One of the guys that I work with has the exact same RAM but has the Intel E8400 (1333MHz bus speed) and has never had any problems what so ever running at 1066MHz. I'm guessing, and its starting to sound like the most logical answer (and would not have thought of it at all without today's conversation) that the CPU can't handle running the RAM at 1066MHz.

After all, the board could very well support 4 modules of this RAM at 1066MHz but the CPU does come into the equation.

Because I don't have the time to sit down, run tests and work out the settings to get it to work, I've proceeded with doing an RA for credit (less a few $'s) and considering looking at the Corsair Q2X8G6400C4DHX - Corsair Q2X8G6400C4DHX 8GB (4x XMS2 2GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, 4x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 4-4-4-12

That should work without any troubles, right?

At the end of the day, I'd like to have the system stable with quality components.

From the QVL:

This means they tested 1 kit of 2 modules which is the only way we sell this kit. I am sorry that you were misled here but you need to take that up with ASUS.

I've just heard back from ASUS Tech department and they've conducted 2 overnight tests with 4 sticks of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

1) All BIOS settings at AUTO - 800MHz, JEDEC 1.8V, 5-5-5-15 - 3D Mark 06 overnight passed (image attached)

2) 1066 MHz, 1.8V, 5-5-5-15 3D Mark 06 overnight passed.

Since it passed 1.8V they didn't test at 2.1V

I've asked them to leave the system on overnight and to not let it enter sleep mode as it appears that a lot of the troubles occur when the system is at idle.

ASUSTEST.thumb.jpg.bd4083c6854b9a2826ba211cabb72833.jpg

Archived