Corsair Community

H110i GTX vs H110i GT

Legendhidde

Hi there,

I was looking around for the differences between the GT and GTX for the H110 coolers. The GTX is 40 Euros more expensive where I live. What does it bring for this extra money? I read something about an LED controller, LED controls (RGB) are rather important for my build. I have Noctua NF-A14 fans to replace the normal fans on the H110i.

Hi Legendhidde,

When using other fans jsut check before if the static pressure is equal or just minimally different (to push air through the high fin density radiator the high static pressure fans are needed). I have also changed the fans on my H100i GTX, but even the F version Noctuas has only 70% of the pressure in comparison to the supplied corsair fans (off-course, corsair fans are loud on comparison). The H110i GT has fans with 3.99 mm H2O pressure, while the Noctua A14 has only 2.04 mm H2O pressure (so You need minimally push pull to have same performance).

To the difference as red-ray wrote, H110i GT.

BR,

Peter

I would pay more for the GT as the GTX has less facilities in the firmware. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986. This is especially the case for the LED control.

There are lots of other threads that talk about this so have a look for them.

Hi Legendhidde,

When using other fans jsut check before if the static pressure is equal or just minimally different (to push air through the high fin density radiator the high static pressure fans are needed). I have also changed the fans on my H100i GTX, but even the F version Noctuas has only 70% of the pressure in comparison to the supplied corsair fans (off-course, corsair fans are loud on comparison). The H110i GT has fans with 3.99 mm H2O pressure, while the Noctua A14 has only 2.04 mm H2O pressure (so You need minimally push pull to have same performance).

To the difference as red-ray wrote, H110i GT.

BR,

Peter

Thanks a ton to both of you!

The GT is actually 40 Euros cheaper than the GTX. The GT is the CoolIT version right? The one with the extra features? Is there any difference in the way they connect to my motherboard? 4-pin fan header is one I think, but a USB connector and such?

Thanks for the heads up on the Noctua fan, such a shame I won't be able to use that. I want absolute silence but I'd still want my system to have some nice cooling performance, I'm slowly having to do away with all my expensive Noctua fans. Are there any fans that are better than the ones that come with the cooler itself, higher quality, quieter and such? Money doesn't really matter much, I just want it to be able to be incredibly quiet at idle.

Don't get too carried away with static pressure. It is still the amount of air you push through the radiator that matters. The static pressure is only a casual approximation of how much airflow is lost to the resistance of the radiator. It is also highly rpm dependent, so make sure you equalize to the same RPM when comparing fans. 120mm fans in particular have flattering lifts in their last 100 rpm or so. 140mm are a little more linear. Both the Noctuas and Corsair have plenty and you can get by with less. Fan speed is never going to be the limiting factor if this is for the 5820k.

At 40 Euros less, I can't even see this as a decision unless you are absolutely in love with the looks of the GTX. As Ray alluded to, there are some differences in the way the two coolers interact with the motherboard. It's easy to tell which camp he is in, but there are quite a few detailed posts covering the some of the differences. As far as cooling performance, you would be hard pressed to find a difference.

Hi,

The static pressure IS a very important part of the fans detail, You can turn Your fans at highest speed if it´s blades are not formed to maintain pressure! I was comparing the pressure values of the fan "Legendhidde" has at home (NF-A14) which has half the value (both H110i has high density fins, so it matters!). The problem is, that Noctua don´t has at this moment a 140mm silent fan which is optimised for radiator use (like the F version from the 120mm sizes). If You have to much of these fans ... You can still use 4 of these on the radiator (setup some optimal fan curve and You will be fine with the noise only when power is needed). Offcourse You can get the high rpm versions from Noctua, but those are loud (the Industrial version).

- connection wise, the GT has to be connected to the PSU sata connector to power it, the GTX is connected directly to the CPU or Pump header to power it. (You can check on corsair pages the installation videos). I have the H100i GTX (smaller size) I don´t like the power from MB option so I have used a Molex to 4PIN PWM to power it up (mainly now connected like the H110i GT). Than connect the 2 Fans to the cooler directly and connect the USB cable (data link) to the cooler and motherboard USB 2.0 header. Easy :)

@ c-attack

I have mentioned the static pressure for only one reason. Peoples make their builds, connect everything up than type into the google and searching if their temps are ok or average or the best ... So, if someone would like to use other hardware should be aware that the static pressure (have You seen his case?) matters. The noctuas has maximal speed around 1500 rpm and are quiet, but these will never have the cooling performance as the corsair fans. Noctua fan owners are paying for the quiet system ... I have around 30 noctua fans just in our household, but it´s good to know the limits. On the H100i GTX the 2 fans (F version - for rad use) were quiet at idle and "acceptable" when CPU in use ... :) ... but the CPU was 12°C hotter than with the 4 fan setup (and the 4 fan setup is more quiet). Yes, I don´t have clean path in the front of the case, just side openings to get the air in (the tax of the silent operation).

Peace and BR,

Peter

In my opinion, even at the same price it would be the H110i GT, at 40Euros less, it's a no brainer.

I used Noctua 120 mm fans on an H100i and despite the quoted difference in static pressure, they worked just as well and they were quieter too.

Hi,

I agree, Noctua has nice 120 mm fans for radiator use (I have these also on my H100i GTX). But they have no 140 mm fans for that use yet (just the industrial ones which are loud "3000 rpm").

BR,

Peter

The static pressure rating on a fan tells you how much resistance it takes to reduce a fan's speed to zero while the fan is at a specific speed (RPM). I don't know about you, but I have never seen a fan that was unable to spin at all on a radiator because of the "resistance". You can get a rough idea of what it costs you by comparing the max speed against a radiator vs the listed free air speed on the box or by testing yourself. Whatever resistance the radiator offers, it is a relatively small value in terms of mm of H20. The small number does have a larger effect on a fan with a low pressure number, like say 0.60 mm h20. However, once you get into the higher values of 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, the resistance is just a small fraction and things like blade design become more important. So yes, the pressure rating does matter, but once you cross a certain point, more isn't much better. Air flow still is what matters, otherwise you could all put a pair of Blacknoise NB-IP55 Series 4020 on your radiator. If your conversions are a little rusty, 42.3 Pascals is about 4.31 mm of H20, but perhaps 10 cfm isn't enough for your uses.

Anyway, the real point is static pressure is RPM dependent. The exact same fan has a much lower pressure rating at 1500 than it does at 2000. In this case, the question isn't how much pressure it makes at maximum rpm, but how much will it make at the 600 rpm (or whatever) he wants to run to keep his system quiet. For what it's worth, I don't think it will matter. I have tested more than 40 different fans on my older Asetek H110 and my 5820k. All of them are fully capable of keeping the chip under 60 at moderate to high loads while at 4.4@1.28 and 4.0/1.20v on the cache. Even better if I drop the cache overclock. Only at maximum sustained loads that apply a continual stream of heat to the water does fan speed and fan choice start to matter for cooling performance. So as to your original goal, my fans run pretty much a flat 600 rpm all the time. I never break 60C at those settings. Both the new GT and GTX have high flow rates and should fare even better. With more fan speed, I might be able to shave off a few degrees, but there really isn't a need. I am free to choose based on other factors like style and sound.

Unfortunately I can't quote everyone, but I have to thank you guys immensely! This has really helped me plan out my new cooler. I think I should just try it with my Noctua fans first, they're in pull configuration right now and my NZXT Kraken X61 can keep it under 65 most of the time, if my room doesn't heat up too much. Unfortunately my Kraken X61 is broken, something with the pump and they don't want to do an advanced RMA without a credit card, so I have to buy a new cooler.

Thanks a lot for the help with the GT vs the GTX, the choice is clear for me now. Why Corsair advertises the GT with less stars than the GTX on the product pages is a bit strange.

Archived