Corsair Community

Intermittent booty delays with K70 RGB/M65 RGB

Dmeister406

Hi there,

I just recently purchased both of these peripherals and installed them along with the latest CUE version 1.2.77 and latest (1.15 and 1.16) respective firmware revisions.

I have the K70 RGB connected directly to one of the Intel USB 3.0 ports with ONLY the USB cable with the keyboard logo (the other USB cable is not connected to anything). I have also tried the K70 connected with both USB cables into USB 2.0 ports.

I have the M65 RGB connected to one of the USB 2.0 ports.

I have noticed that if I boot the PC from a cold boot or reboot or access the BIOS and then exit, that the machine will intermittently (maybe 50% of the time) take a lot longer to boot with the new mouse and keyboard connected; from normally ~20 seconds to 3-4 minutes. I also once received a "No keyboard detected" message. Moving the polling switch to BIOS and back again immediately removes the delay and Windows boots normally.

The keyboard and mouse work fine in Windows as well as accessing the BIOS when hitting "Delete" and also properly powering off when in S4 or S5.

I am reluctant to disable USB initialization or legacy USB support in the BIOS in case I can't access the BIOS again when I need to. Although I am aware that this is probably a USB enumeration issue as mentioned by James on previous occasions.

I am running the latest BIOS version 2012 as well as updated chipset and USB drivers.

No such issues were encountered when using my previous G19 keyboard and G9x mouse from Logitech.

Can you please assist?

Thanks in advance.

I have noticed that if I boot the PC from a cold boot or reboot or access the BIOS and then exit, that the machine will intermittently (maybe 50% of the time) take a lot longer to boot with the new mouse and keyboard connected; from normally ~20 seconds to 3-4 minutes. I also once received a "No keyboard detected" message. Moving the polling switch to BIOS and back again immediately removes the delay and Windows boots normally.

Interesting. I haven't tried that with hitting the BIOS switch and then back (but I will the next days whenever I get delay while booting), though I do remember that starting the PC with the keyboard already in BIOS mode did not prevent the delays. But that really sounds interesting, hope that helps Corsair in fixing this annoying problem.

Also, the delay, with me anyway, happens no matter if it's a cold boot, or a reboot or whatever. It's totally intermittent.

I am reluctant to disable USB initialization or legacy USB support in the BIOS in case I can't access the BIOS again when I need to.

Same here, I don't own a PS2 keyboard, so I don't wanna risk it.

Oh, and I'm getting a "USB device removed" sound whenever I start the CUE (I'm not sure though if that has always been there or only recently), and if the device is plugged into USB 2.0 with the 2nd cable connected too, I get a "USB device connected" sound whenever I start Windows, I think, plus Windows tells me it doesn't recognise the 2nd cable. I'm unsure if any of this is relevant to the boot delay problem though.

Interesting. I haven't tried that with hitting the BIOS switch and then back (but I will the next days whenever I get delay while booting), though I do remember that starting the PC with the keyboard already in BIOS mode did not prevent the delays. But that really sounds interesting, hope that helps Corsair in fixing this annoying problem.

Also, the delay, with me anyway, happens no matter if it's a cold boot, or a reboot or whatever. It's totally intermittent.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. It is TOTALLY intermittent as to when the boot/reboot is delayed at the manufacturers splash screen. It definitely has something to do with an issue initializing the keyboard as if it is physically disconnected (by unplugging the USB cable), or soft disconnected (by toggling the polling switch) while hanging, the PC instantly proceeds to boot.

I'm not sure what methodology Corsair's firmware is using to negotiate USB enumeration with the motherboard but no other USB keyboard I have ever had (I have 8 in total across 4 different manufacturers) has produced this issue.

I also really hope that it is addressed as waiting for the PC to boot for 3-4 minutes once or twice a day defeats the purpose of a fast-boot system. I hope the polling switch is able to stand being toggled back and forth ~700 times a year!

Same here...this boot issue is really annoying, I though I had it fixed when I pluged the keyboard in one UBB 3.0 port...where you have 2 in a line I found leaving the other one empty did the trick but then again yesterday - after 5 days of working ok it was starting to boot up slow again...then normal again!

must be a bug of some sort...I dont know if updating BIOS will fix anything?

Same here...this boot issue is really annoying, I though I had it fixed when I pluged the keyboard in one UBB 3.0 port...where you have 2 in a line I found leaving the other one empty did the trick but then again yesterday - after 5 days of working ok it was starting to boot up slow again...then normal again!

must be a bug of some sort...I dont know if updating BIOS will fix anything?

I would definitely update your BIOS to the latest. It may very well not fix it but that will be the first thing Corsair ask you to do.

I still don't know exactly why it is random. One would think that if everything else is unchanged from reboot to reboot that the process and order of USB initialisation would be the same. Apparently not though.

:(

Since there seems to be quite a few of you with the same Keyboard init problem and rather than look over each of your specs, this is a blanket suggestion. If your Motherboard has Fast Boot, try disabling it. I had problems on my RIVF with my Alienware TactX keyboard being slow to initialize at Windows login, so I disabled Fast Boot and the problem stopped for me.

Since there seems to be quite a few of you with the same Keyboard init problem and rather than look over each of your specs, this is a blanket suggestion. If your Motherboard has Fast Boot, try disabling it. I had problems on my RIVF with my Alienware TactX keyboard being slow to initialize at Windows login, so I disabled Fast Boot and the problem stopped for me.

Hi MykSilentShadow,

Thanks for this suggestion. I have in fact already tried this after doing a Google search and coming across this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/8060-asus-sabertooth-z77-boot-time-issue/ but can confirm it does not resolve the issue on my configuration.

:(

Thanks for the advice. Fast boot was never on with my system, though, so. Though, alternatively, I may just try and turn it on, who knows. I think I'm actually trying this, although I doubt it'll help.

Also, about BIOS update: I don't know if it helps anyone, but sadly it didn't for me. There was actually just a new update like last week, and I applied it, only to find that it didn't change anything about my problem at all :/

I really hope Corsair can fix this soon, it's really annoying.

• 1 month later...
What motherboards do you guys have? I have an Asus z97 A. I'm seeing this with a K70 RGB that I got 5 days ago. Seems like maybe an RGB issue? I'm about ready to RMA though if this keeps up. It's hard to repro because it's super intermittent as stated above. I'm not going to let a keyboard affect my startup times though. Might be on to a ducky shine 4 instead :(

Archived