Corsair Community

Hydro Series H100i v2 - Fan at 0 RPM

socialwaif

I think I connected something wrong. I could use some help sorting this out.

This was my first attempt hooking an AiO liquid CPU cooler up myself. Spent a few hours working on it.

My CPU is an Intel i7-5820K.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4.

I connected the pump to the "CPU_OPT" connection. I was not sure what to use in the "CPU_FAN" connection right above it. My other fan headers are labeled things like "SYS_FAN" 1-3. I originally had two other fans in both the "CPU_FAN" and "CPU_OPT" connections. The motherboard does not have any headers marked "PWM"

My previous CPU AiO liquid cooler was an old Corsair Hydro Series H105. It was set up by my PC maker and not me. The pump connection for that went into something else, somewhere on the backside of the motherboard. Honestly, it gets lost in the tangle of wires.

I think the issue is that I don't have the right thing plugged in to the "CPU_FAN" header. Just not sure what to put there.

It is worth mentioning that right now, the new fans are pretty loud. I can't see to adjust their speed or noise levels either.

See this post for the proper connection: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801.

In short, plug the fan connector from your pump into CPU_FAN. Set it to 100%.

What are your fans plugged in to? They should be plugged into the fan headers that are coming off of the pump. And they shouldn't be loud.

Did you connect the USB cable to a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard? And did you install Link? You'll need to install Link to see and control the cooler.

See this post for the proper connection: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801.

In short, plug the fan connector from your pump into CPU_FAN. Set it to 100%.

What are your fans plugged in to? They should be plugged into the fan headers that are coming off of the pump. And they shouldn't be loud.

Did you connect the USB cable to a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard? And did you install Link? You'll need to install Link to see and control the cooler.

Thanks for the link. I saw something else by Greybeard but the link didn't work for me. I see that Greybeard has us tweak a few things in the BIOS. I have yet to do that.

Uhh? My fans from the H100i V2 are connected to the cable coming off the pump. I think so, at least.

The USB is plugged into a USB 2.0 header on my motherboard. Installed Corsair Link. I can see the pump speed. In Corsair Link, the fan speed for is showing 0 RPM.

This is what I am seeing in my motherboard's EUFI/Bios, under "Smart Fan." Nothing obvious that mentions "VOLTAGE CONTROL." I'm not sure what I need to change there, if anything.

I will try and see what happens if I plug the pump into "CPU_FAN" as opposed to "CPU_OPT." I was led to believe it went into the "CPU_OPT" header by another website.

IMG-0156.thumb.JPG.c4eb58aadf1c9b4b9be661af1d29fd97.JPG

You HAVE to tweak those things in the BIOS. Otherwise, the pump won't get the full 12V that it needs.

Second, make sure that the fans are connected to the fan headers coming off of the pump. That's required for it to read the fan speed and control the fans. However, until it's getting the full 12V, it won't operate properly.

You HAVE to tweak those things in the BIOS. Otherwise, the pump won't get the full 12V that it needs.

Second, make sure that the fans are connected to the fan headers coming off of the pump. That's required for it to read the fan speed and control the fans. However, until it's getting the full 12V, it won't operate properly.

Sadly, I have yet to be able to find those settings in the EUFI/BIOS.

The pump has two wires coming off of it. Do I plug one in to the other? Or plug one in to the "CPU_FAN" or "CPU_OPT" headers on my motherboard?

Thanks in advance. Because I feel like I am being an idiot when it comes to wirting.

Sadly, I have yet to be able to find those settings in the EUFI/BIOS.

The pump has two wires coming off of it. Do I plug one in to the other? Or plug one in to the "CPU_FAN" or "CPU_OPT" headers on my motherboard?

Thanks in advance. Because I feel like I am being an idiot when it comes to wirting.

There is a fan splitter coming off of the pump. One has 3 pins, one has 4 pins. This is normal and fine. The fans get plugged in to that. Not the motherboard or anything else. Make sure to use the fans that came with the cooler or, at least, PWM (4 pin) fans. It cannot control DC/3 Pin fans.

The other wire coming off of the pump goes into the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard. In the BIOS, set it to FULL SPEED.

You've already got the USB connector set; leave that.

You're smart enough to know what you don't know and ask for help. An idiot doesn't do that. So ... no worries. That's why this forum exists. ;):

You are awesome, man. Got it working. Now showing 900 RPM for the H100i v2 Fan. I swear, even at the Full Speed setting, they are now quieter than before.

Changed the "CPU_OPT" to "CPU_FAN" and set it to run at full speed.

Make sure you use Link to adjust fan or pump speeds. Do not use the BIOS to try and control the unit.

Yup, I am using Corsair Link tocontrol them. And I can control them!

However, the fan noise I am hearing- that sounds loud to me - is unaffected when I change the speed(RPM). I think it just the sound of them running. It may just sound loud to me because the sound is new and unfamiliar. I may just need to get used to them. My old fans were of the same type, SP120L.

Hmm... normally I would comment on the fan type and it's clear design intent to move a ton of air through a radiator at 2400+ rpm. However, there should be no significant difference between them and any prior SP120L versions, some of which have light tweaks to the maximum limit. It is still a rifle/sleeve bearing type fan (as are most fans) and you will get a bit of coarseness in the tone when inverted, like when exhausting air through the top. Frankly, I have never liked this particular fan very much and I have 8-10 in their original plastic bags. If you are going for a super quiet build, you may wish to consider something with a lower limit and different bearing type. The ML120 is a perfect like for like replacement with all upside (other than cost). There are also other choices. For now, just remember you don't need a ton of speed on dual radiator. It's OK to use quiet mode, even if you are running in the 4.4@1.30v range on that 5820K.

What profile do you have your fans on? And what is the fan speed that you see in Link?

But yes ... the SP120Ls are kinda loud.

They were on either Performance or Balanced. I found where I had set them to something other than Quiet. They are now on a Quiet profile setting. They are running around 900 to 1000 RPM.

Archived