Corsair Community

Ebay adapter cables not working

latexyankee

So Ive purchased 2 of the LNP adapter cables from Prarie Dog Tech

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372521827376?ViewItem=&item=372521827376

I cannot get these to give any power to my phanteks strips. Seems pretty straightforward...connect 3 pin to drbg strip, connect other side to lighting channel 2 on LNP. Each adapter adapter has 56 leds connected to it (2 daisy chained drgb strips) so under the 60 led limit. Each cable is connected to its own LNP (I have 2) on lighting channel 2.

No power whatsoever, lighting channel 1 works fine on both LNPs. All 4 strips are brand new so its damn near impossible all 4 are DOA. These cables are supposed to be awesome, what gives?

did you set your LNP channels to LED strips or anything else under iCUE?

Yea I tried that but theres like no power whatsoever. So the strips do othing when the system is powered on. For instance upon first boot all fan leds turn on and default to rainbow BEFORE any config is made in ICUE to actually set the number and model of fans. All these fans are connected to the LNPs as the strips.

But to answer your question yes I did try to configure lighting channel 2 as 5 strips 6 strips 3 strips etc but nothing. I knew there was an issue when the strips shwed nothing when powering on the system.

uhm.. sorry to ask for obvious things but.. is the argb plugged the right way? ^^'

No offence lol. So i mean theres only one way to plug it in. ARGB is 3 pin with 2 pins on one side, then a blank, then the last pin. So if you turned the cable the other way it wouldnt connect.

I mean right? You got me thinking now. All the ARGB devices connected to my mobo work.

the strips may have a normal 4 pin header so it would still connect on the 3 pin extension. You have to make sure you line up the arrows on the connectors to have the orientation correct.

the strips only have 3 pin male connector. The adapter cables only have 3 pin female.

A couple of things. First, make sure that the arrows are lined up and the connection is tight. The Aura/motherboard style connection is notoriously loose - to the point where I've seem some vendors include "locks" to ensure a tight connection.

Next, make sure that you have iCUE configured with strips on that particular channel AND enough strips to match the number of LEDs on the Phanteks strip. This can vary based on exactly which Phanteks strips you are using - if you can provide a link to the exact product that you are working with, I can provide better guidance. Also, make sure that the LNP is connected to SATA power without splitters. If just connected to USB, the LNP will show in iCUE but it won't actually light anything up.

If you have a multimeter, you can also validate that the LNP is providing +5V power - they do have a fuse that has been known to get blown out, even when using Corsair-branded strips (it's happened to more than one of my own LNPs) AND staying under the limit. It's more likely to happen if you "hot plug" (connect while the system is on). If it works on channel 1 and not channel 2, it would tend to indicate that the fuse is blown, assuming that you have the channel configured for strips. When the fuse is blown, it'll still light up fan hubs (that have their own power) but not strips.

The JST-SM adapters actually work better with the Phanteks devices - that's the native connection and it's both keyed and locking, so it's a better connection than the motherboard style connector. That said, the motherboard still connector will still work with the adapter that Phanteks typically includes in the box. Personally, I've used the Phanteks strips (both the "classic" ones and the newer Neons) both ways.

Which Phanteks led strips have you got? Maybe they're not addressable?

The only ones I see on the Phanteks website are non-addressable 4pin strips. The us ground and RGB, I think they're even using 12v, but could be wrong. These would not work on the Lighting node pro, since they're not addressable.

Yea I tried that but theres like no power whatsoever. So the strips do othing when the system is powered on. For instance upon first boot all fan leds turn on and default to rainbow BEFORE any config is made in ICUE to actually set the number and model of fans. All these fans are connected to the LNPs as the strips.

But to answer your question yes I did try to configure lighting channel 2 as 5 strips 6 strips 3 strips etc but nothing. I knew there was an issue when the strips shwed nothing when powering on the system.

No, that's not accurate. If the channel is configured as empty, it won't light up when you boot the system. You absolutely, positively MUST configure the channel before anything will light up. And then you have to make sure that you add a lighting effect. There is no auto-detection at all.

Which Phanteks led strips have you got? Maybe they're not addressable?

The only ones I see on the Phanteks website are non-addressable 4pin strips. The us ground and RGB, I think they're even using 12v, but could be wrong. These would not work on the Lighting node pro, since they're not addressable.

While true, Phanteks does make several different flavors of addressable LEDs. Based on what the OP said, I suspect that they have the newer Neon strips, which absolutely are addressable and can be controlled via a Lighting Node Pro (I have 2 of them controlled from an LNP on my system right now).

So im able to get 2 of them to work non daisy chained. The daisy chain extension cables must be just bad. Been building PCs for 20 years none of the elementary stuff applies here.

That sounded conceded and i appreciate all the replies sometimes you do forget the small stuff.

But after seeing just 2 and the light output im returning them. They are not going to produce the amount of light i need. They are rather dim, more of an accent lighting to highlight a certain component? Im looking for lighting behind rads and these wont do. Im going with corsair strips i guess, but only 10 led per strip is offputting.

Edited by latexyankee

If it can help... I have a strip behind the bottom rad on an 011D XL, lighting upwards towards the bottom of the motherboard and it's not exactly stellar. I only see the front panel wires reflecting some of it. Thats about it.

If your motherboard has a satin black soldermask as most have, you won't see much.

And as you mentionned, 10 LEDs... So it's either not tooo visible, or it works but with very obvious hotspots. Really accent lighting too, but it will vary by case of course. Obviously white paint helps a lot