Corsair Community

corsair obsidian 800d weight

flaskepost

Hey guys.

I maybe want to buy the Obsidian case, but i can't find out how much it weight? So i was wondering if some of you knows the weight?

The weight is primary a problem because i goes to Lan-parties every 3rd week or so.

So do you think the case is too big to be used to lan-parties?

I apologies for my bad english...

Something around 42 pounds including packaging.

I wouldn't take it to a LAN party unless you've got a dolly or you mod the case to have wheels.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend wheels that are strong enough for this case, assuming that you will watercool and have 5-6 hard drives.:D:

I assume :biggrin: that there have to be wheels on all six case feet.

Thanks,

x509

I mounted 4 furniture wheels on the bottom of a black shelf plate that fit the size of the 800D. Incredible convenient, not only when I built the system, but when I need to move the case (f.ex. to reach the dust filter that pulls out from behind).

obsidian1.thumb.jpg.ce57d0ce633c832c3b5ef0733716ec3c.jpg

I mounted 4 furniture wheels on the bottom of a black shelf plate that fit the size of the 800D. Incredible convenient, not only when I built the system, but when I need to move the case (f.ex. to reach the dust filter that pulls out from behind).

Trond,

I really,:D: really :D: like your solution. Where did you get the plate and the wheels? website or your local Home Depot or similar? How would you search for the wheels, say by load capacity.

Great post. :D:

x509

Trond,

I really,:D: really :D: like your solution. Where did you get the plate and the wheels? website or your local Home Depot or similar? How would you search for the wheels, say by load capacity.

Great post. :D:

x509

I got the shelf plate from Ikea. I gave the back edge a little black paint, since the side that goes towards the wall is blank. The wheels I got here. Takes the weight of the case (16kg) easily. They are your pretty generic rotating furniture casters, so should be found in any decent hardware store. Depending on the surface, rubber wheels might be better than plastic though. Four solid wood screws on each wheel, and I was set. Very cheap solution too, total cost didn't amount to much at all.

I got the shelf plate from Ikea.

Ikea is also very big here in the US, otherwise known as "the colonies." :biggrin:

I gave the back edge a little black paint, since the side that goes towards the wall is blank.

I could probably get a half-inch thick piece of wood of the right length at my local Home Depot, and then paint it.

Did you use matte black or glossy black paint?

The wheels I got here. Takes the weight of the case (16kg) easily. They are your pretty generic rotating furniture casters, so should be found in any decent hardware store. Depending on the surface, rubber wheels might be better than plastic though. Four solid wood screws on each wheel, and I was set. Very cheap solution too, total cost didn't amount to much at all.

Obviously I won't order from the UK all the way over to the western part of the USA. Shipping would cost more than the goods themselves. :roll: But, now I know what to order.

I like your solution much more than messing around with the actual case feet. I think it was Dallanar who went out and got Lian-Li wheels, 3 sets. Very nice looking, but pricey.

Another reason I like your solution is that it gets the case off the floor. In my case, the floor is carpeted, so the bottom intake fan would be sucking in a lot of dust. This way less dust will be sucked in, and the filter will not need to be cleaned as frequently.

Obviously I won't order from the UK all the way over to the western part of the USA. Shipping would cost more than the goods themselves. :roll:

Yes, I noticed you were in the US, that's why I mentioned how they probably are available everywhere.

I used matte paint (the shelf isn't glossy either).

And you seem to have the exact same motives as I already had. :biggrin: As A), I neither wanted to mess with the case itself, in case I might place it permanently somewhere someday. And B), I also suspect a lot of dust would be sucked right in from the floor, but now it doesn't. That's why I got a shelf plate that is slightly bigger than the case width/length.

Also, the case has rubber mounts beneath the feet, and the 800D sits completely glued to the shelf. I can easily move it by pushing on the case itself.

Archived