Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB also locking up

Quietman

Just to add mine to the list here...

Serial No. C120G1129...

Had it a 5 days and 2 lock ups so far.

Intel RST driver version 10.6.0.1022.

Plugged into SATA port 0 running at SATA 2 speeds in AHCI mode. HDD on SATA port 1 and DVD drive port 2.

Already upgraded to firmware version 1.3 but another lock up today.

About to try the LPM reg fix...

Not an encouraging start to using SSD's!

No not yet. I really don't want to have to clean install windows again if I can help it. I have games on this PC with limited activations available and it takes ages to setup again. Would a drive image backup do?

Could I ask why this is so important to do?

OK, BIOS cleared, secure erase complete but I used a disk image for windows because I dont want to spend hours doing installs again...

I used Parted Magic 6.6 for the secure delete which was pretty much instant, was expecting a wait for that job. The SSD was empty though after it and no errors reported.

Fingers and toes crossed again.

• 1 month later...

Lock up with no BSOD this time. Also the HD activity light went off after a while. Ended up hitting the reset button after 10 minutes and no SSD until power cycle.

I was however hosting a minecraft server for a few friends at the time which makes this really annoying as a user... :sigh!:

I've managed to get some stability ( 8 days without crash until now ) by doing this:

1. Ensure that you have HotPlug set to disable in BIOS

2. Uninstall IRST & Intel Management Engine ( take care as Microsoft has released an update which includes Intel Management Engine drivers - I manually uninstalled the driver from the Device Manager after noticing the update )

3. Shutdown and ensure that your SSD is connected to Port 0

4. Start PC; let Windows revert to MsAHCI & find your drive(s); after Windows found everything reboot again

5. Apply this reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Controller0]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0]
"TreatAsInternalPort"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Controller0\Channel1]
"TreatAsInternalPort"=dword:00000001

6. Reboot and run WEI; reboot again

Thanks for the advice scorpionri but I am going to call it a day with this SSD.

Yet another lock up with a BSOD and no SSD on reboot. I do understand that the problem is not Corsairs fault directly but I need a device that doesn't fail randomly like this and will be going back to a HDD.

The latest lock up has left my minecraft server unusable with the map it was on when it happend and a whole day of edits by three of us lost. :mad:

Haven't decicied yet whether to return the SSD or wait for a firmware fix for another try later...

• 2 weeks later...
I 've now decided to RMA the SSD. I live in the UK and the address to return it to is in the Netherlands. Having got my case number I have also emailed the RMA team about the possibility of getting a different model as a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finally got a reply from the RMA people at Corsair who have offered to replace my Force 3 120 with a Force 120 SSD. I have a SATA II motherboard so no speed loss.

So today I sent it off in the post (UK to The Netherlands) at the cost of £10.61 (US$16.70). If I can get a stable working SSD in my system I figured this is the best option.

When I get the replacement I will use it as my system drive and let you know how well it works.

Not criticising anyone here, just relating my experience with this in case anyone wants to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived