Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H ram issues

LogicUK

Hi people,

I am trying to eek out a little extra use of my old system until I can replace the mobo / cpu.

As stated in the title I have the Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H socket 1156 with the latest bios update 'F7' and have the aging Intel i3 530 @ 2.93Ghz fitted.

The system is perfectly stable with 2 x 1gb Kingston ddr3 fitted.

I purchased the Corsair Value select 2 x 4gb 1333 pack model number not to hand I left them in the car :/ and the system wouldn't boot past the initial windows splash screen so I set it aside for my sons pc.

I then purchased XMS 3 8gb pack - CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 and this does exactly the same, windows will not boot.

It shows perfectly in the bios post screen.

When I put the old Kingston back in the system is fine, I have tried single sticks in either of the 2 slots and windows will not boot, so I am at a loss as to what to do now.

I did run the compatibility check on the Corsair site and both were shown to be fine for the board..

After various searches on google etc I have seen people fit 2 x 4gb or 2 x 8gb it just doesnt seem to work for me.

Could it be the mobo on its way out?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Did you make sure to reset the BIOS before inserting the new modules?

If not I would try that first. Just remember when you do that you'll need to reasign boot order and all that fun stuff! :)

Usually when this happens it's just a case of the old memory settings not getting flushed out. So the new modules will try to boot at the settings of your previous kit.

Just tried the suggestion and no joy, pulled the battery out for a couple of mins then rebooted with the xms installed, bios posts no problem once past that I get the 'windows loading' screen but the animation above the text doesn't appear and that's as far as I get.

While doing that I also tried dropping the running speed of the memory to 800 and 1066 instead of 1333 but I get the same results.

Just a thought but the Kingston that works fine is single sided modules, would that make a difference?

I don't have the value select to hand I left it in the boot of my car after visiting the computer shop, I was going to return it but decided to keep it for sons pc.

This is what is on the printed label of the XMS 3 :

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

1333Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) 9-9-9-24 1.50v ver2.21

• Corsair Employee

And actually it is the other way around your MB will not support single rank 4.0 Gig modules. The modules you use will have to double rank or have 16 Memory IC's on each module or the system will not be able to detect them.

You posted this on another thread and if these are what you have they would not work on the MB you have listed;

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

1333Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) 9-9-9-24 1.50v ver2.21

Posted By Ram Guy

.1 means 256MX8 so would be 2R for a 4G module

.2 means 512MX8 so Would be 1R for a 4G module

Example,

1.50V ver2.13 would be 2R for 4G module

1.50V ver2.21 would be 1R For 4G Module

Thanks for the response Ram Guy, and I understand it now from your quote.

I knew both sets of ram I had bought was fine as they run great in my sons AMD based system, he is happy now he has 16gb instead of the 2gb he started with lol

I have decided against buying ram for this aging system now and I will just update mobo / cpu and ram all at the same time, I was due to upgrade sooner or later, might as well be sooner.

Thanks,

Roy.

• 3 years later...

Archived