Corsair Community

So confused about Commander Pro and Lighting Node

LeeandLee

Ok i am so confused on how to set up my RGB fans and use the Commander Pro and lighting node pro. MY case is the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL and i bought the Corsair H150i. I bought the Commander Pro and I also bought 2 packs of 3x LL120 and 1 pack of 3x ML120 pro to replace the non rgb fans on the H150i. All 3 packs come with Lighting node Pro in each pack. I have never set up RGB stuff before and im very confused. So many wires everywhere just UGHHHH. I gave up from frustration. Can someone help me. Where do i even start. I tried reading a few threads but the diagrams didnt help me as much as I would like

Ok i am so confused on how to set up my RGB fans and use the Commander Pro and lighting node pro. MY case is the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL and i bought the Corsair H150i. I bought the Commander Pro and I also bought 2 packs of 3x LL120 and 1 pack of 3x ML120 pro to replace the non rgb fans on the H150i. All 3 packs come with Lighting node Pro in each pack. I have never set up RGB stuff before and im very confused. So many wires everywhere just UGHHHH. I gave up from frustration. Can someone help me. Where do i even start. I tried reading a few threads but the diagrams didnt help me as much as I would like

I'm fairly new to the RGB game myself. It has been a process of learning from my mistakes (all the info you need is right in these forums).

Basically, all the fans have to be the same model. So, your ML's wont work with your LL's. At least not in the sense you've been assuming.

Please review Zotty's excellent sticky about RGB set up.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Hopefully, you can return the single fan ML for another LL so they can sync up.

You need one Lighting Node Pro. Two RGB Fan LED Hubs.

One hub will connect to Channel 1 on the LNP. Put your 6 LL fans on that.

The other hub will connect to Channel 2 on the LNP. Put your 3 ML fans on that.

Then you'll have 1 fan hub and 2 LNPs left over. Hold on to them. If you want strips, you can get just the expansion pack and put them on one of the leftover LNPs.

And yes, review the FAQ. Link is in my sig.

I'm fairly new to the RGB game myself. It has been a process of learning from my mistakes (all the info you need is right in these forums).

Basically, all the fans have to be the same model. So, your ML's wont work with your LL's. At least not in the sense you've been assuming.

Please review Zotty's excellent sticky about RGB set up.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Hopefully, you can return the single fan ML for another LL so they can sync up.

Thanks for reply. IT says that all models will work with it.

Anywasys for some reason im still having hard time after reading the post and diagrams etc. I jsut dont know where to start with it. I feel like its a mental block for me . Its not my first pc build either just my first rgb build in a new case. Do i put the commander pro and light node in the back of the case with the wires hidden? The commander pro is powered by a sata cable that i connect to the motherboard correct?

There will be a usb 2 “internal connection” from Commander Pro to motherboard. That is how the software communicates with the devices.

You will want the Commander Pro and RGB lighting hubs in the back and out of sight. Each will need its own SATA power connector from the PSU. Wires, wires, wires.

Make sure you physically orient your LL fans the same way (at least on each 3 fan section). There is a definite first and last led on each fan and you don’t want to have to go rotating certain fans 90 degrees later because the lights don’t sequence correctly.

Make sure you physically orient your LL fans the same way (at least on each 3 fan section). There is a definite first and last led on each fan and you don’t want to have to go rotating certain fans 90 degrees later because the lights don’t sequence correctly.

Ohhh very good. Thanks for pointing that out. I never thought about that Ill have to change a couple of the fans already now before i pout them in

ughhhh >

Ok should i start by installing the H150 first? and then start with the other fans and the commander pro light pro etc? Can someone explain to me how to install those wires on the H150 with 3 ML120pro's?? Those diagrams aren't helping me like they should be.

The three standard 4 pin PWM fan connectors from the ML will go the H150i splitter coming from the pump. Those same connectors on the LL will go back to the Commander Pro.

The smaller, flatter connectors are the RGB lighting. Those need to go back to the RGB Lighting Hub. All lighting power comes through that hub and it is a lot more current than the fan motors themselves. RGB HUB order matters. Things will always sequence 1->6 or 6->1 on patterns that allow reverse direction.

This is where things are going to be tricky. Unless you want to start manipulating effects and lighting counts to try and make 4 LED ML fans work smoothly with 16 LED LL fans, you need the 3 ML-RGB on the separate RGB Lighting Hub from the other 6 LL. That means they will also be on two separate lighting channels. The end result is the 6 LL will act as one "block" of fans while the 3 ML will act as a different block. You can sync effects with the Lighting Link options in the software, but the number, behavior, and speed of effects are different between a 4 LED and 16 LED fan.

I am guessing you are going to put the H150i in the side vertical slot? That leaves LLs top/bottom. Just remember the fans will fire in order, so it you want the sequenced lighting to start on the top rear, that needs to be fan #1 in the RGB Lighting Hub. Also, don't get too concerned about trying to make everything sequence up. I just spent 90 minutes writing some new lighting patterns for my O11 with 6 LL120s. I originally designed the build to take full advantage of the ring side of the LL and a perfect 1-6 sequence option. These days, I rarely use it. Can't see the top when on the desk. Prefer to see the lights form some other sources. You get over the 1-6 or 1-9 sequencing pretty quickly and it becomes a color balance game -- making all the different sources have some coherent theme.

The three standard 4 pin PWM fan connectors from the ML will go the H150i splitter coming from the pump. Those same connectors on the LL will go back to the Commander Pro.

The smaller, flatter connectors are the RGB lighting. Those need to go back to the RGB Lighting Hub. All lighting power comes through that hub and it is a lot more current than the fan motors themselves. RGB HUB order matters. Things will always sequence 1->6 or 6->1 on patterns that allow reverse direction.

This is where things are going to be tricky. Unless you want to start manipulating effects and lighting counts to try and make 4 LED ML fans work smoothly with 16 LED LL fans, you need the 3 ML-RGB on the separate RGB Lighting Hub from the other 6 LL. That means they will also be on two separate lighting channels. The end result is the 6 LL will act as one "block" of fans while the 3 ML will act as a different block. You can sync effects with the Lighting Link options in the software, but the number, behavior, and speed of effects are different between a 4 LED and 16 LED fan.

I am guessing you are going to put the H150i in the side vertical slot? That leaves LLs top/bottom. Just remember the fans will fire in order, so it you want the sequenced lighting to start on the top rear, that needs to be fan #1 in the RGB Lighting Hub. Also, don't get too concerned about trying to make everything sequence up. I just spent 90 minutes writing some new lighting patterns for my O11 with 6 LL120s. I originally designed the build to take full advantage of the ring side of the LL and a perfect 1-6 sequence option. These days, I rarely use it. Can't see the top when on the desk. Prefer to see the lights form some other sources. You get over the 1-6 or 1-9 sequencing pretty quickly and it becomes a color balance game -- making all the different sources have some coherent theme.

Thank you for response. This cleared it up a bit for me. Im quite disappointed and pissed off that i bought the ML120s when i could have just bought 3 more LL120. They were all on sale for 50% off now they are not. I took someones advice to get the ML120 for the radiator and should have researched it myself first but i was in a rush last min to put a pc together. I had no idea that there was an order for lights etc. I thought they would all work at the same time since its light. I didnt even think about the MLS having less lights therefore will sync differently. UGH. Im pretty sure i have to return them as its going to ruin any effects for sure because of that.

I was actually going to put the rad wit the ml120 on top exhausting and have 3 x LL120 on side and 3 x LL120 on bottom

Edited by LeeandLee

OK, if you are going to put the H150i on top, then that may resolve some of your worries. First, the ML is a better radiator fan than the LL. However, it will not ruin your life to use 3 LL120 on a 360mm rad unless you are within 1-2C of thermal throttling. Second, unless you are going to mount the case high, you won't see underneath the top fans much. As exhaust, the color side of the ML will show (on the reverse side they bleed light - exposed LED). You can use these top fans as spotlights or case shadow lights. The ML does a better white than the LL which is color affected by the diffuser ring (cool tones).

Finally, even if you do send them back and get 3 more LL, you will still need to 2 RGB Hubs and there will still be a sequence order. 1-6, then 1-3 or vice versa. With the ML on top, you can still sequence effects from the bottom LL 1-6, then channel 2 is the 3 MLs. This is a lot easier than if the MLs are in the middle on the side panel. You have plenty of space up top in the XL. It probably would strange with a cavernous space and no radiator up there. With 9 fans, there will always be two channels and it will require some planning or the use of the Lighting Link features to automatically synchronize.

Edited by c-attack

Don't beat yourself up over the ML fans, they are a great fan.

I have 5 in my current rig and I love them. Sure they "only" have 4 LEDs, and aren't as pretty as the LLs, but they are as quiet as anything and cool really well.

In my case, the pretty lights were fun initially, but now the cooling performance is more important to me, I just set and forget and let them do their job, but then my case isn't on display the way yours might be - each to their own !

OK, if you are going to put the H150i on top, then that may resolve some of your worries. First, the ML is a better radiator fan than the LL. However, it will not ruin your life to use 3 LL120 on a 360mm rad unless you are within 1-2C of thermal throttling. Second, unless you are going to mount the case high, you won't see underneath the top fans much. As exhaust, the color side of the ML will show (on the reverse side they bleed light - exposed LED). You can use these top fans as spotlights or case shadow lights. The ML does a better white than the LL which is color affected by the diffuser ring (cool tones).

Finally, even if you do send them back and get 3 more LL, you will still need to 2 RGB Hubs and there will still be a sequence order. 1-6, then 1-3 or vice versa. With the ML on top, you can still sequence effects from the bottom LL 1-6, then channel 2 is the 3 MLs. This is a lot easier than if the MLs are in the middle on the side panel. You have plenty of space up top in the XL. It probably would strange with a cavernous space and no radiator up there. With 9 fans, there will always be two channels and it will require some planning or the use of the Lighting Link features to automatically synchronize.

Jsut to get the terminology correct. The RGB Hubs are the Lighting Node Pro hubs right? and the Comander Pro? Or what?

RGB Lighting Hub - This is the power conduit for the lighting. No RGB Lighting Hub = no lights.

Lighting Node Pro (LNP) - This is interface device so the hardware (fans) can talk with the software (iCUE). You must have this to have control. The other interface device is the Commander Pro and that is the one you will be using. At this point, I don't see the need for a LNP. You would only need it if you go past 2 lighting channels by adding strips or some other Corsair RGB device like Hydro X custom cooling blocks.

I must have a mental block with this or something. I literally cannot do this. PEopel are explaining it to me and im lookign at diagrams and then i go look at my system and all the wires overwhelm me and i just cant do it.

Do i need 2 commander pros? I have a total of 9 fans 6 ll120's and 3 ML120 for the rad.

Do I plug the h150 usb into the usb 2.0 slot on the motherboard?

Do i plug the 3 ML120 for the rad into the h150? or into the Commander pro? or the rgb hub?

Sry if im repeating myself or something

You should only need 1 Commander Pro since you will use the H150i fan controller to take care of the three on the radiator -- whatever they are. The ML on the rad will still be software controllable through iCUE, but it will be in the H150i device panel versus the Commander Pro tab.

The 3 ML will go to their own RGB Lighting Hub. I suggest you make that one Ch 2 on the Commander Pro. The 6 LL will on a different RGB lighting hub. Make those channel 1 on the C-Pro. This means any sequential lighting effect will start at the bottom LLs and work their way up the case. Based on my experience with the O11, this is preferable but obviously user choice.

Do the fan power wires first. Order on the Commander Pro does not matter. The RGB hubs are messy and the wires annoying. They are also the ones you are most likely to fiddle with later.

Im one step closer now. I want to thank you for not being impatient with me. Especially since you are probably repeating things for me but that is how im going to learn for me.

One thing i just noticed. I can return the ML120 easily now and get a pack of LL120 on sale again. Should I do that so all fans in the case can be the LL120 instead of the rad fans being ML120?

Hard to say on the ML/LL exchange. The LL might (at worst) cost you 2C in terms of coolant/CPU temp. It has a steeper blade and a fat center hub. Less airflow on a radiator. Now it doesn't really matter if your CPU temp is 56 vs 58C, but some people really take this hard. Assess what is important to you.

Lighting - It's hard to describe and all I can say is look at videos. The ML have 4 center mounted LEDs. When lit, they create 4 "triangles" of light back to the outer rim. This is so much better than the old corner mounted LEDs. They remind me of a "Simon" and I have a certain nostalgia for the 80s, so I do have a soft spot for them. The negatives are when mounted with the back side showing, those LEDs are exposed and bleed light. Depending on your angle, this can be unbearable. Since you will be top mounting them as exhaust and this problem hidden, its not an immediate concern.

LL fans have 4 center mounted LEDs hidden under a frosted diffuser. Then there are 12 more LEDs in the outer rim. LL fans have special effects not available to the other fans types (excluding QL) because of their unique arrangement. The Arc, Heartbeat, and Pong effects are on that list and are definitely more interesting. The negatives are the previously mentioned lower airflow against resistance. However, I am running an O11D with 2x360 and LL120s on all. It's a custom loop with 8700K@5.1 and 2080Ti. I can't complain about a coolant delta of +9C@500W. I also find them to be quiet fans, particularity at low idle. You can't always say that about the ML120 or HD120.

If you were going all 9 fans one way or another, this would be a pretty big decision and I would push you toward the LL. However, with the highly visible sides and bottom already slotted for LL, you can use the ML on the radiator. Additionally, I previously had this O11 mounted on top of a very high bookcase (4 ft). I have been looking up at it and most of my stuff for a long time. Now that it is back down at desk level, I can't see the top fans at all. There is no way for me to tell if they are LL or ML, unless I stick my head underneath to see. I think you can have the best of both here without penalty. The only reason to go all 9 LL is if having different types of fans/lighting would bother you on some level. You will have to use 2 RGB Hubs no matter what. You will have program both bubs no matter what. There isn't a user advantage to all LL vs 6/3. It is strictly user preference.

WOW im installing the LL120 fans now and one disappointment after another here. So the intake for these fans is the side that hides most of the LED. Its the X side that doesnt have the ring as well and i was planning on doing 6 for intake and the rad of exhaust. and of course the intake ones are the most noticeable. I mean geez whats the point. This build feels like a failure from the beginning. I sued to love buildinging computers. This is jsut a turn off and disappointment.

Common complaint. Both LL and ML have different front vs back visuals. This was a strong factor in designing my O11 build as side (vertical) and top radiator exhaust, with no active intake. All air is drawn into the case comes through the venting.

However, you now have another choice. Enter the QL. I thought it was just a double sided LL, but the actual appearance is a little different. Light rings on both sides. I actually like the X-side better for some aesthetic placements. Performance wise it is a LL fan with same previously discussed caveats. Take a look at some real life shots below. A further complication is while I think 6LL + 3 ML looks fine in that case, adding the QL changes the dynamic. It has a definite visible side profile. I am not sure how I feel about that beaming off the side of the top radiator.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=1028538#post1028538

I was thinking of making the bottom and side exhaust so the fans could look good and making the top rad intake. However not sure that is even a good idea as the rad fans will be the only intake and im sure itl be blowing warm air inside the case as well from the rad. Honestly the fans look like crap with them as intake. Most of the led is missing AND all the wires are showing. IF i paid attention to this i would not have bought them

3 of the 9 are going to have to be intake. I think my preference in a liquid cooled cpu, air cooled GPU build would bottom intake, H150i side vertical exhaust, top exhaust. That gives you a decent blow through for the gpu and MB and showing off most of the fans. I think I would want all 9 as LL for that.

Your plan can work as well, but I have not tried it. I don’t like the ML with the back side exposed. It might be time to decide on the 6+3 vs 9 LL.