Corsair Community

Bought the 280x RGB case, but iCue software not detecting LL fans nor commander pro

MMakoto

I'm very new to this PC building stuff, but was able to manage to move my 4yr Alienware x51 r2 motherboard and HDD/SSD onto this new case.

Anyhow, the 3x LL120 in this case is spinning and lighting up no problem. However the iCue software detects nothing, I even tried uninstall and reinstall the software, but no luck. Tried Corsair Link too, but same thing. That USBdbView software didn't tell me much about any Corsair stuff I have installed either. The way how I hooked up the USB 2.0 header was I bought a USB port to idc 5 pin cable, link below, so I'm not sure if this has something to do with it? My motherboard does not have any USB 2.0 headers, so I have to go this route. Any ideas to why it's not working detecting? Possibly that cable I'm using is causing a problem?

Link to cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-designed-motherboard-external-connector/dp/B000V6WD8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533012413&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+to+5+pin+idc

• Corsair Employee
You need a USB 2.0 header to get the Lighting Node to work. If you don't have a header. you can use the adapter you have but you have to ensure you're using the right pinouts. Take a picture of how you're connecting so we can verify. The other alternative is get a USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 adapter but you'll lose the ports on the case.

You need a USB 2.0 header to get the Lighting Node to work. If you don't have a header. you can use the adapter you have but you have to ensure you're using the right pinouts. Take a picture of how you're connecting so we can verify. The other alternative is get a USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 adapter but you'll lose the ports on the case.

A standard mini-USB cable will also work and may be easier for you - you won't have to worry about the pinouts in that case.

What the the cable that I have linked? I have that plug into the rear USB port, the other end with 5 pins hooked up to the commander pro's USB 2.0 female cable.

I have checked and made sure that the 2 cables from the fan is hooked up to #1, #2, and #3 slots accordingly on the commander pro and node pro (the hub with 6 slots).

Attached pictures of how it's hooked up.

20180731_084927.thumb.jpg.cdd4b55244386b9e0f66b3ddba8a2b80.jpg

20180731_085025.thumb.jpg.fae48e1534c2a8608215861f99b7cb86.jpg

20180731_084837.thumb.jpg.cdf4243fca8c1905a8afe611f7b8dccf.jpg

OK, you have a Commander Pro, NOT the Lighting Node Pro. Different beastie all together. The NoPro actually comes with that case so our assumption (since you never indicated otherwise until just now) was that was what you were using. The CoPro requires BOTH USB ports to be connected. You only have one connected. And, in your image, we can't see if it's connected properly as we can't see how the wire colors match up.

What you are calling the Node Pro is the RGB Fan Hub, not the lighting node pro. (check out the RGB FAQ also ... terminology is important so we are all speaking the same language.)

It might work with just the other port connected but I'm not sure. I've not done that myself.

OK, you have a Commander Pro, NOT the Lighting Node Pro. Different beastie all together. The NoPro actually comes with that case so our assumption (since you never indicated otherwise until just now) was that was what you were using. The CoPro requires BOTH USB ports to be connected. You only have one connected. And, in your image, we can't see if it's connected properly as we can't see how the wire colors match up.

What you are calling the Node Pro is the RGB Fan Hub, not the lighting node pro. (check out the RGB FAQ also ... terminology is important so we are all speaking the same language.)

It might work with just the other port connected but I'm not sure. I've not done that myself.

Here's a picture of how the 5 pin cable I bought is connected to the CoPro, I would think they are lined up correctly, because the other side has only 4 pin holes and the colors are different.

What do you mean BOTH USB needs to be connected? The CoPro has only 1x USB header, the other cable is the SATA power.

20180731_131619.thumb.jpg.648e5f72ab75ce73bed0024516b20c6a.jpg

ok i've figured out what happened. i DID plug in that 5 pin cable in the wrong slot, but it was a bit confusing as the colored wires lined up correctly on both ends, and i did break off that last pin, black ground wire, in order to fit in the 4pin slot.

A single USB header has 2 USB ports. Each port uses 4 wires, with a ninth ground wire for the frame.

The CoPro uses BOTH of those ports, where the Lighting Node Pro only uses one. One of those ports is for the CoPro MCU, the other is for the CoPro's USB hub.

I'm gonna bet that your CoPro's USB hub doesn't work.

A single USB header has 2 USB ports. Each port uses 4 wires, with a ninth ground wire for the frame.

The CoPro uses BOTH of those ports, where the Lighting Node Pro only uses one. One of those ports is for the CoPro MCU, the other is for the CoPro's USB hub.

I'm gonna bet that your CoPro's USB hub doesn't work.

yes i think neither of the 2 available usb 2.0 headers on the copro works, but i only needed that cable to control the icue software, for now at least. anyway, i wanna thank you for the input provided in this thread. cheers!

Archived