Corsair Community

Asus A8N32 + Corsair 3500LL + XP-120

Robaird

Because of the massive heatspreaders on the 3500LL modules (2 x 1gb):D: , I can only mount the Thermalright XP-120 if the two sticks of memory are in the second channel--i.e., the black slots, A2 + B2. AMD apparently specifies that the dual channel configuration described should be placed in the first channel (blue slots--A1 + B1). Is there a reason for this (other than an arbitrary selection by AMD whose processor houses the memory controller)? Will my memory work in dual channel on channel 2? Will I take a performance hit if it does work?

For what it's worth, Thermalright just informed me that they have an SI-120 that does not present the same issue because the heatpipes have been raised about an inch.

Correct. Asus specifies using slot B1 for a single stick of memory, but they state that when running 2 sticks in dual-channel mode, you may insert them in A1-B1 OR A2-B2.

I sure wish I'd installed the revised XP-120. I had to pull my TwinX 1024 3200XLPT from under the original XP-120. It wasn't too difficult to get it out, but I'm losing sleep trying to figure out how I'm going to get it back into slot A1 (when the replacement DIMMs come) without removing the heatsink. That means removing the motherboard, all the cables, and almost rebuilding the computer. Replacing the heatsink is a huge hassle, so if I have to do so, I'll certainly spend the money to get the new version of the XP-120.

Ron

Ron,

I know what you mean--I still have the motherboard out of the case and the couple of times I mounted the XP-120 I thought I was going to crush the CPU with the leverage action (glad cpu does not have exposed core!).

If you install your memory in A2 + B2 do you still have to do the heatsink limbo? Also, Thermalright just released a Scythe Ninja type model as well, but a side mounted fan won't cool the power parts next to the cpu.

Wired & Ron,

I will hopefully fire this up the end of next week and let you know if channel 2 gets past memtester (been delayed by search for some decent thermal gap filler pads, as I removed the ones on the AC Silencer 5 to replace with AS Ceramique to put on an evga 7800 gt, only to find that Ceramique is too gooey and the gap too wide--this will be the longest build ever:!: ).

Good point. When I get my new RAM, I'll definitely try the A2-B2 positioning first.

My XP120 doesn't do a very good job of cooling the adjacent MOSFETs and heatpipe terminus because the fins of the heatsink run parallel to the axis of those components. That causes air from the fan to be exhausted mainly toward the top and bottom of the motherboard as it exits the heatsink rather than to the rear where it needs to go to cool those critical components. Because of this orientation of the XP120, I think my chipset runs a lot hotter than it needs to. I'm thinking of trying to cobble a low-speed 60-mm or 80-mm fan onto the rear edge of my Panaflo in order to get a lot more air on that heatsink that covers the MOSFETs and receives the end of the heatpipe.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Just to follow up, I ran memtester with no errors on one pass with the memory in A2 + B2 (didn't have the patience to run more passes yet). I am still waiting to install the new video card to try out BF2. Also, if you end up having to take off your XP-120, you may notice as I did on my A8N32 that with the heatpipes directed at the memory, the fins and fan extend over the heatsink at the end of the heatpipe over the mosfets. That said, my motherboard is running a little hotter than my cpu, so I still need to investigate if this motherboard runs hotter than advertised--as asus probe alarm thresholds for motherboard temperatures are much lower than for cpu. On my other system, the motherboard is about 3 degrees cellcius cooler than the processor (A8V Deluxe w/ A64 3000+ w/ cpu watercooled)

Archived