Corsair Community

Corsair Carbide 200R MB Mounting Issue

Obtuse-Angle

I bought a new Corsair Carbide 200R case for a new, low power, desktop build. I know there have been several design versions of this case over the years but I believe the one I have is the latest.

Pretty happy with everything about until I came to fit the MB. I'd assumed an ATX form factor would mean full compatibility with any case designed for ATX and mATX boards. But in this case there is a problem.

The MB is a Gigabyte H87-HD3 is a good choice for the i3-4340 CPU I'm going to use. Once I received it I found it was 305mm x 225mm in size. What this means is that the fixed stand-off mounts on the right side of the case can't be used. No problem or so you'd think.

The fixed MB standoff mounts at the top and bottom of the case are fine, as is the centre left position. But on the far right side of the MB the mounting point doesn't line up with any case fixed stand-off or standoff screw mount hole.

But what is really perplexing me is that none of this should matter at all as the centre, near right 'stand-off' does match up with a MB mounting hole. But the trouble is that it isn't a real stand-off. It is a more like locator pillar, a nub that pokes through the MB for who knows what reason.

What this means is that most of the central area of the MB but particularly the right side is not secured down by anything.

I find this mounting point design decision maddening because it would have been so easy just to have a screw thread standoff fitted here instead. But now I'm having to come here and ask: is actually OK to use this ATX MB with this ATX case?

It is clear from the research I've done and pictures I've seen that this centre right mounting position has been messed around with in many of the iterations of the case. Some have it located in a pressed recess in the centre rib, others like my one, the pillar is welded onto the rib with a welded nut on the reverse.

The manual that came with the case actually shows it as a normal MB screw mount position so, presumably, that's what it was originally. So why the change? Why no other mounting points for 225mm width boards which, I assume, are one of the ATX standard sizes?

Thanks for the reply; that's what I'd assume too but I'd like some more official confirmation because if it isn't recommended I still may be able to get the MB replaced as I haven't opened the AS bag yet.

You do agree though it is a very odd design feature to have a pillar there rather than a proper standoff MB mount, yes? I'd really like an explanation for that decision from somebody at Corsair because for such an otherwise well designed and well made case the thinking behind it is a mystery to me.

On the MB's vertical axis I have no doubt the set up will be stable but it is the effect of any lateral movement that concerns me. Not having any screw secured mounting in the whole central area of the board except the single left hand side stand-off position:-

i). Surely means any lateral movement will tend to bow the MB up or down on that unsecured right side. That can't be good for it - couldn't it crack the traces over time?

ii). It must also put extra strain on the single centre left hand side stand-off and the area around the screw head holding down the MB.

A MB must be designed to have mounting points on that right centre side for a reason or why are they there? It may be over-engineered enough so that in most circumstances it won't have any adverse effect if one is not used but we're talking about two here.

The mystery Corsair 'pillar' may give support when the board is being pressed down onto it although looking at its diameter I'm not sure it does even that. However it clearly provides no restraint against any upward bowing of the MB due to lateral forces acting across the width of the board. That is precisely what a screw there would prevent happening or at least minimising.

I don't know what to tell you. A lot of manufacturers have the same thing. If your that concerned about it I'd just grab a full size board. I doubt you'll find one unless you spend some good cash. I think z87-ud3h is full size. Asus gets quite expensive where z87 is concerned before you get to the full width boards. Your best bet for a cheap h87 board would be to go micro. Only board I've found with full width mounts and in the same price range is this.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1206_1201&item_id=060710

Archived