Corsair Community

Do i need the Commander Pro to change fans speed ?

Mark Rutzu

Hi, i instaled my h100i and noticed that even having the same number of fans in my case they sounded louder than before, i tried throught icue to change the speed and it didn't change anything.

The 2 fans attached to the radiator are connected directly to the pump but still in icue it won't change the speed. In total i have 6 fans, do i need the commander pro to manage their speed ?

For the H100i (Platinum/Pro/XT/v2 ??), Go to the AIO and select the Performance tab. The three presets are there. Click + to create your own.

All other case fans are presumably connected to your MB and this will be BIOS controlled. A Commander Pro would allow those to be iCUE controlled when they are connected to the Commander.

When i go to performance tab and select the different mods available wether it's extrem or quiet or 0 rpm it doesn't change anything, they don't respond. My case is a 220t so there is a built-in rgb fan hub and yes two of my fans are connected to the MB. What the Commander Pro will add ?

Most likely you are not actually applying to fan preset. It's not a switch. You need to click the preset or curve, it will turn yellow, then click the fan(s) or pump to apply it. It will ring yellow.

A Commander Pro is a fan controller. It supplies power and controls fan speed. It also has two RGB lighting channels, which you may or may not use. It is not a RGB fan hub.

I forgot to mention that i'm not using the 4 pins (ML) fans that come with the cooler but my own SP which are 3 pins that might be the reason they run at full speed and that's why i should plug them directly to the mb ?

Yes, that is a big reason. The SP are DC voltage control (3 pin) and you have connected them to a PWM controller that supplies 12v all the time. Any DC fan will run at maximum all the time. For now, move them to the motherboard and use whatever BIOS controls you have. You will probably have to use CPU temp as the control variable, but if your motherboard has any kind of hysteresis or fan delay for spin up/down, make sure you use it.

The Commander can control 3 or 4 pin fans. Each header is individually selectable. This would get you back to desktop software control for all fans.

But i can only plug 3 fans (and i have 4) at the mb so that's was i was thinking about buying the CP. I didn't want to use the Ml they wouldn't fit on my actual hub and don't work between each other on iCue. I can either buy 2 more ML and the CP or buying a second rgb hub (for the ml) but i still need 4 fan connectors.. I'm a bit confused, what should i do because as i imagine the fans speed on the H100i need to match the cpu temperature so, what would you do ?

No, the fans on the radiator don't need to match the CPU temperature. Their best control is through the H100i temp (coolant temperature). The cold plate conducts heat off the CPU at the same rate, no matter what you do with the pump and fans. The more heat the CPU creates, the more is dumped into the coolant stream. The pump and fans get rid of heat from the coolant stream. If they are spinning slowly at 600 rpm, but the coolant temp does not go up, that means they are already dumping all the heat put into the system. The relationship is +-1C coolant = +-1C CPU temp. Coolant temp is the minimum possible CPU temp with zero voltage.

Now when connected to the motherboard, you will not be able to use this and will have to use CPU temp. Will it harm anything? No. Or maybe only your ears. CPU temp is very dynamic and linking the fans to it will cause them to change rapidly as well, but without any real effect on the cooling process. This is why I suggested looking for fan delays or hysteresis controls to mute that rapid speed change.

As for the present situation, you need either a fan splitter to control 2 fans from one port or you need a fan controller like the Commander to do the job. A splitter is cheap and should cost only a few dollars. The Commander is not. You should buy this because you want to control the fans from iCUE, not to solve the "I need one more header" problem.

This also might be a good time to clarify whether you have a H115i Pro, Platinum, or XT. If this is a Platinum, you have a built in lighting controller in the cooler. Those ML can run from the AIO splitter and don't need to go on the SP-Hub. This is just like running two hubs and you can run both. That also solves the MB header issue.

Create a fan profile. Base it off a temperature other than CPU.

Click the profile ... then click the fan to apply it to. It's a little unintuitive. Take a look at some of the various tutorial videos.

Edited by DevBiker