Corsair Community

HX520 Compatibility With ASUS MB

galfen

I assembled a new computer using an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MB, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600 CPU, Corsair TWIN2x2048-6400C memory (2 GB), and an Antec Neo 500 HE PS. The system functioned properly for a few days and crashed. System starts to power up and power drops out again almost immediately. After two days of troubleshooting, established that the problem may be an incompatibility between the MB and PS (confirmed by ASUS tech support). Now need to install a new, compatible PS. Does anyone know if the Corsair HX 520 iscompatible with the ASUS M2N-SLI?

Thanks for any advice.

Actually, this incompatibility is due to the way certain ASUS motherboards power up and certain High Efficiency power supplies that have a higher minimum load on the rails to run. The Asus doesn't draw enough load on these lines during powerup because of a staggered powerup of motherboard components, so the NeoHE decides to power down before the load can start. Later revisions of the NeoHE solved this problem, you have to go read some antec threads on misc forums to find out which revisions have this fixed.

I can't tell you if the Corsair HX will work with that motherboard, someone else might have tested it and can give you a conclusive answer to this. However, the SLI logo and ATX compatibility have nothing to do with this problem so will not guarantee things will work.

Thanks for the advice.

Have now tried two ASUS M2N-SLI MBs, two CPUs (AMD 64 x2 4600 and AMD 4200), and three power supplies (Antec Neo HE 500, Antec True Power 480), and Corsair HX520. In every case, fans spin and stop after four seconds. Also tried a Gigabyte MB with the Corsair 520 and two AMD CPUs. Fans continue to spin but no video. Possible that I may have not one but two bad CPUs (two video cards work fine on my old computer so I don't have a video card problem).

Antec tech support advised me that the Neo HE500 incorporates the fix that overcomes incompatibility problem with ASUS MB. Tried to talk to ASUS tech support on two occasions - they said they would call me back but never heard from them again.

Newegg RMA support for exchange or refund is excellent but distance betwen east and west coasts prolongs troubleshooting time. Am now going to start from square one with an Epox MB, new AMD CPU, new Corsair memory, and the Corsair HX 520 power supply. Will post results.

I've been building my own computers for 15 years (all with ASUS MB and Antec PS) with no hardware problems but this experience is my worst nightmare come true.

Both AMD dual core CPUs I've tried (a 4600 and a 4200) are AMT socket. Tomorrow, I'll have a new Epox EP-MF570SLI MB, a new AMD Athlon 64x2 4200 CPU AM2 socket (for one I exchanged) and Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 to try. Corsair does not list any compatible memory for the Epox MB - does this combination sound OK? I will appreciate any light you can shed on this problem - it's driving me nuts.

The system is now working fine in the following configuration:

Case: Antec P180

MB: EPox EP-MF570SLI AM2

PS: Corsair HX520

CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 4200 (will upgrade to 4600 when exchanged CPU arrives)

Memory: Corsair DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C

(or Corsair DDR2 800 TWIN2X1024A-6400)

Video Card: EVGA 7900GT

HD: Two Western Digital 160GB SATA

DVD: HP DVD 840

Floppy Drive

CPU is running at 27-34 degrees C (I'm not a gamer so I don't load the CPU heavily). Antec P180 case has three tricool fans, all running at Low. I installed an additional case fan in the front center but am not using it.

The problem apparently had nothing to do with PS or memory. Seems that my original AMD 64x2 4600 CPU died after the first 10 days and the AMD 4200 replacement must have been DOA.

Footnote: This is my first experience with an EPox MB. I really like this board: user-friendly installation and setup; good software and monitoring capability; power supply socket in center of board is a plus with the PS mounted in the bottom of the antec P180 case (better cable routing and cooling for chipset and CPU).

Again, I appreciate the advice.

• Corsair Employee
We just have not tested the EPOX MB's yet that I know of. We have a backlog and the MB's we get the most requests for are what gets put to the front of the list. Sorry! I would suggest you get the latest bios for the MB before yo do anything else and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings Cas 5-5-5-15. And I would set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts as well.

Archived