Corsair Community

Memory upgrade questions

fashion_m

nothing.

you must completely replace all the ram with a bigger kit.

adding ram is not supported or suggested.

use the memory finder link on the left to see what model(s) are tested compatible for your board in the capacity you desire.

nothing.

you must completely replace all the ram with a bigger kit.

adding ram is not supported or suggested.

use the memory finder link on the left to see what model(s) are tested compatible for your board in the capacity you desire.

Well, that's not flexible at all. When I assembled my PC I designed it in such a way that it would offer (and still offers) a broad range of upgrade opportunities. I use every component as long as possible. As of the mainboard I deliberately choose one with four RAM slots supporting (apparently) a wide range of memory modules in terms of capacity, frequency, timings, single-sided, double-sided... everything that came into my mind. I bought a kit of two quite expensive Corsair XMS2 DDR2 modules with the intention to use them throughout the entire life of the PC and later accompanied by another pair of dual channel modules. I don't want to sell my current modules as I won't be able to get even half of their original price. And they are working flawlessly.

I just want to use all four modules, why is this so hard for God's sake!?

sorry dude, its been like this since the memory controllers were on the CPU instead of the motherboard.

having four slots meant you can install a 4 stick kit, not 2x2 stick kits. a common misunderstanding.

sorry for the news.

i mean you can try a 2nd set but the odds are against you getting them to work together at listed speed. if you dont mind running them at 667 or 533 they will more likely play together but who wants that?!

2 separate sets on the same board are not supported or suggested but you can try, its your call/dime.

good luck.

btw, a 4 gig kit (2x2) is under 80 bucks at newegg, dirt cheap compared to the 250 bucks i spent on my 2 gig kit 5 years ago!!!

also if you run XP32 bit you will only see about 3 1/2 Gb anyway. you cant see or use all 4 gig.

In the meantime, I've read a lot. According to my mainboard's User Manual and this Intel P35 Chipset White paper it is allowed to have modules with different sizes in Channel A and Channel B. If the total amount in Channel A and Chanbel B are equal, the system runs in dual channel symmetric mode. If Channel A and Channel B have different total sizes the user manual says this: "You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."

I've searhed the market for modules that are as similar as possible to my current ones. Since I couldn't find the exact same kit (2x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX) as my current one, I found this kit on the market: 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX. It is almost the same as my current kit - same frequency, same timings, same voltage, just the size is different - 2x2GB. If I put it, I will have 2x1GB + 2x2GB = 6GB (I am OK with 64bit OSes). Apparently it will work in dual channel symmetric mode.

WILL THIS WORK ?

1. Is it a problem that neither the (planned) new modules nor the old modules are not listen in the QVL list for this mainboard? Actually these QVL lists are very poor an have only 512MB and 1GB modules.

2. If there is an incompatibility can I RMA the new modules?

If I put it, I will have 2x1GB + 2x2GB = 6GB (I am OK with 64bit OSes). Apparently it will work in dual channel symmetric mode.

But you would still be mixing two sets that have not been tested together. If you ask me , your asking for more trouble. You put together the chances of problems, having to return/RMA , and potential downtime vs just taking synthohols advice and purchase a single kit of the desired capacity is a no-brainer to me.

1. Is it a problem that neither the (planned) new modules nor the old modules are not listen in the QVL list for this mainboard?

Absolutly. If modules are not listed in the QVL lists then they have not been tested or qualified as compatible with that board. You could always call the boards manufacturer and ask them directly. But if they are not listed on Corairs Memory Configurator then i wouldn't chance it.

Hi fashion m,

A kit matching your current one is at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145175&Tpk=TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX

for 46.99

A 4GB kit at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176&Tpk=TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

for 79.99

But a single 2 module 4GB kit would be better then two 2 module 2GB kits.

Yeah, I saw them when I started this research, but Newegg doesn't ship outside USA and Canada.

But you would still be mixing two sets that have not been tested together. If you ask me , your asking for more trouble. You put together the chances of problems, having to return/RMA , and potential downtime vs just taking synthohols advice and purchase a single kit of the desired capacity is a no-brainer to me.

Absolutly. If modules are not listed in the QVL lists then they have not been tested or qualified as compatible with that board. You could always call the boards manufacturer and ask them directly. But if they are not listed on Corairs Memory Configurator then i wouldn't chance it.

Of course I can just remove them from the PC, put them aside and use only the new 2x2 modules, but that's like putting 50 bucks aside and not using them. So I'll make everything possible to keep them in the game.

Why most mainboards have four memory slots? Occupying all four 100% means mixing kits. But two kits have never been tested together? Well, that's a damn no-go situation :mad:

Both the 2x1 and 2x2 kits are listed in Corsair Configurator as compatible for my mainboard.

I remember the times of SDRAM PC-133 and PC100, I used to put whatever modules possible in the old mainboard and they worked. Why things have become so inflexible?

The new modules come with 7-day return policy, so tell me how to rigorously test my PC when I put them, in order to be sure that there are no problems. Memtest86 4.20? Other tests?

Yeah, I saw them when I started this research, but Newegg doesn't ship outside USA and Canada.

I'm not sure, but Amazon.com might.

The new modules come with 7-day return policy, so tell me how to rigorously test my PC when I put them, in order to be sure that there are no problems. Memtest86 4.20? Other tests?

For testing, I would suggest at least 4 passes with memtest.

Prime95 in blend mode. Some have suggested anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours, depending on how rigorously you want to test. Keep watch on your cpu temps!

And any memory intensive games you may have.

Good luck!

ya know i do wish ya luck but if it doesnt work out you were cautioned 20 times in this thread.

and if you do have to remove the old kit its not a waste of money, you got to use them for how long?

the 2x1 and 2x2 kits are qualified for your board but again you missed the point of they are qualified BY THEMSELVES, not in addition to another kit. sheesh..

By the way, why don't you guys from Corsair run some tests with this scenario? Get an Asus P5K/EPU mainboard (or any other Intel P35 board), put 2x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX, run some tests and see what happens?

By the way, why don't you guys from Corsair run some tests with this scenario? Get an Asus P5K/EPU mainboard (or any other Intel P35 board), put 2x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX, run some tests and see what happens?
You're not seeing the big picture.

Each individual module is made of an IC from one of 9 different manufacturers. ICs are made in batches. ICs from the same batch may not play well with each other. Then there's the PCB that comes in different revisions. You're talking about thousands of possible combinations. Testing to ensure compatibility between the modules in one kit is tough enough. There is NO way for ANYONE to guarantee compatibility between ANY two kits without testing them.

You can have modules with the same part number, version number, even LOT number, and they still may not play nice with each other. Add onto that that you're also attempting to mix ICs of different sizes, not to mention maxing out the memory slots which puts more stress on the memory controller, and you're making it as hard as possible to get a stable system.

In short, no, they can't test it.

What about putting stand-alone modules? No kits, no regard to dual-channel mode, no nothing. Just ensuring they are all the same frequency.

Like in the past.

In this case you don't care about modules' brands, specs, etc, right? You put whatever you want? Because matching modules are only required for dual-channel operation, right?

In this case you don't care about modules' brands, specs, etc, right? You put whatever you want? Because matching modules are only required for dual-channel operation, right?

Memory doesn't work like it used too. The old days are ...the old days! Purchasing just single sticks of what-ever RAM has the exact same consequences as wired as stated above. You would run into the exact same problems . These forums are littered with people who all have attempted to mix different kinds of RAM and maybe 1 out of a 100 actually get them to run right. Maybe another 2 or 3 get them to run at lower than rated speeds. And the vast majority fails.

As far as running dual channel mode goes, the only requirement for that is that you have the RAM in the appropriate two slots. But if the memory isn't matched that could fail as well

stand alone means a single module, no other ram on board so yes a single stick will get along with itself.

dual channel is a function of the motherboard, not the ram.

either you really dont get it or you are just egging us on to get a reaction.

im out...good luck.

To do what your asking, you could go back about 5 years and find a good Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board with an FX-62 on it.

That's what I had the last time I was able to successfully mix mismatched kits.

It was 6400c4 versions 1.2 2x1 and 6.1 2x1. Even got a little OC out of them.

I miss that board :(

Hi, guys, I'm back. The memory arrived. Memtest shows errors at stock frequency (800MHz). At 667MHz it looks like there are no errors...

stand alone means a single module, no other ram on board so yes a single stick will get along with itself.

dual channel is a function of the motherboard, not the ram.

either you really dont get it or you are just egging us on to get a reaction.

im out...good luck.

Sorry, I was just curious. I had no intention to argue with you. You misunderstood me.

I added them to my existing modules as I intedned, despite the warnings I received back in this topic. Nevertheless, I will appreciate any help from you to make all of them work well.

So...

2x1 GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX on the yellow slots;

2x2 GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX on the black slots.

At first shouldn't I reset my BIOS to have a clean start? My last PC (Award BIOS) had an option "Reset Configuratuion data" but in this AMI BIOS here I cannot see such option.

At first shouldn't I reset my BIOS to have a clean start?

Yes reset your BIOS.

My last PC (Award BIOS) had an option "Reset Configuratuion data" but in this AMI BIOS here I cannot see such option.

I'm not familiar with your BIOS. Your manual would be the best place to look :)

With 4 modules try setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and add 0.2volts to the NB/MCH/SPP as well.

In addition, with some motherboards you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Good luck!

Archived