Corsair Community

SP120 pwm fan problem

Mdgtman91

There is a problem with the built in fan controller on these units that Corsair does not want to admit.

I tried explaining this to them but they blew me off saying there is variations in fans and mounting locations.

The same fans mounted in the same spot spin at 2300 rpm when connected to the motherboard header.

I don't think Corsair really cares about this issue though as they are happily taking money for a product that does not work as advertised.

Oh and if your interested see my thread here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118803

id imagine its hard to fix a problem when a small percentage is affected and especially when psu's have an impact on the issue also.

im using a corsair ax760i holmes

it shouldnt effect it and if it does that would be sad

perhaps you can explain why i have not 1 but 3 perfectly working coolers with link software ,other than a hd not showing up.,assuming its a widespread problem as you suggest.

Do you have SP120 PWM?

Have you used any other fan than the included fans?

What firmware/software?

I would be perfectly fine with 2200 rpm as that will fall within a certain manufacturing variance, but me and the others posted above have this issue where the fans only spin to about 2000 rpm. (my motherboard spins em at about 2300 rpm)

The PWM versions haven't been on the market very long, and maybe you are in the minority here, who knows.

In the end the difference in 2-300rpm might make for 1 degree difference on cpu temp, and I highly doubt some people even notice this issue and live with it without knowing.

I can tell you on my system they do not work as they should.

*EDIT*

(And just to triple check we are talking about the SP120's PWM with the colored rings, not the SP120L's PWM that came stock on the H100i?)

*EDIT*

I had this exact same problem. The first pair I bought were the 120SP performance edition non PWM versions and was only getting around 2040ish RPM. I returned them and got the PWM one's after and I'm only getting a max of 2090 and 2080 on them while the stock H100i fans are 2490 RPM at max speed.

This is through Corsair link and I haven't tried to see if the max RPM is different if I connect it to my mobo but I still wouldn't have enough fan headers on my mobo and the fans cable are too far from the fan header as well.

Hope they can fix this if it's a Corsair Link issue, otherwise I'm never getting Corsair fans again.

The problem isn't the fans. I had my SP120's PWM connected to the motherboard for testing while still mounted to the rad and get around 2300 rpm. Connected to the H100i I'm back down to 2050 maybe.

The problem has always been the H100i's built in fan controller. Other than that it pretty much works as advertised.

With our coolers it is best to use the fans made for the specific Cooler in question. The fan controller is tuned specifically for these fans.

Hydro Series H80i/H100i SP120L 2700 RPM Replacement PWM Fan

I did not know the stock fans with the 100i are 2700RPM. I always thought they are 2500RPM. This only shows that the fan controller is flawed and Corsair should've done something about it a long time ago.

My stock fans, just like the 120SP I bought, are both 200RPM lower than advertise speed at max speed in corsair link while connected to the H100i. Does this mean that my H100i is defective or is this "working as intended"?

With our coolers it is best to use the fans made for the specific Cooler in question. The fan controller is tuned specifically for these fans.

Hydro Series H80i/H100i SP120L 2700 RPM Replacement PWM Fan

That is not what is says on Corsairs page for the H100i and I quote,

Corsair Link monitoring and control

Monitor temperature and control lighting and fan speed on your screen. No additional hardware is necessary.

No asterisks, no "only the included fans" warning. If this is going to be the case this needs to be changed on all advertising and packaging.

Nothing against you Ramguy, but I thought PWM was an industry standard? If I am wrong than someone please correct me.

I mean c'mon this like me purchasing an Intel board and then when I cant control the cpu fan correctly Intel turning right back around and saying, "Oh we're sorry but only the included Intel boxed cooler that came with your cpu is supported."

That is not what is says on Corsairs page for the H100i and I quote, Corsair Link monitoring and control

Monitor temperature and control lighting and fan speed on your screen. No additional hardware is necessary.

to me if i see a hydro with fans included,it would be safe to assume their referring to the included fans

they dont state the max amp capabilities either so is it also expected to handle any fan regardless of amperage?

things can be construed on most any aspect to suit ones perspective but its impossible for any company to cover every users idea of what it should be able to do.

btw does intel actually supply a fan with their boards?

im a picky s.o.b when it comes to my hardware,with everything included i have well over 8k sitting in front of me,but even i wouldnt go ballistic over a couple hundred rpm

I've got a pair of SP120 PWM High Performance Edition fans on the way that I was planning on using with a H100i. If I don't use Corsair Link is it still OK to connect them to the fan headers on the pump?

I've got a pair of SP120 PWM High Performance Edition fans on the way that I was planning on using with a H100i. If I don't use Corsair Link is it still OK to connect them to the fan headers on the pump?

You have to connect them to the motherboard header if you want to get more than 2200 RPM from them. The problem is not Corsair Link, as that's connected via USB header. Connecting any fans to the pump's fan header will always make the max speed about 200 RPM slower than the spec of whatever fans you're using.

Would be nice for someone from Corsair to confirm this, as I have tested this with 4 different fans and they all have the same results. Seems like a lot of people are unaware of this or just don't care that they're getting a "broken" product.

Edit.

to me if i see a hydro with fans included,it would be safe to assume their referring to the included fans

they dont state the max amp capabilities either so is it also expected to handle any fan regardless of amperage?

things can be construed on most any aspect to suit ones perspective but its impossible for any company to cover every users idea of what it should be able to do.

btw does intel actually supply a fan with their boards?

im a picky s.o.b when it comes to my hardware,with everything included i have well over 8k sitting in front of me,but even i wouldnt go ballistic over a couple hundred rpm

Even the included fans aren't working at their advertise max speed on the pump's fan controller. If that's ok with you then you're just letting them off too easily for a person who is a "picky s.o.b. $100+ isn't cheap for a CPU cooler and you would expect something that to work like all the other water coolers on the market. 200RPM might not be a lot if you have a 2500-3000RPM fan, but what if someone has a Noctua NF-F12 (One of the best, if not the best fan on the market according to a lot of people. Now you have a 1500 RPM fan that can only spin at 1300 RPM. That's about a 14% loss in RPM which is a huge loss in cooling performance. That's like buying a 3.4 GHZ cpu and finding out it'll only run at 2.9 GHZ because the motherboard you bought can't run it at max speed.

You have to connect them to the motherboard header if you want to get more than 2200 RPM from them. The problem is not Corsair Link, as that's connected via USB header. Connecting any fans to the pump's fan header will always make the max speed about 200 RPM slower than the spec of whatever fans you're using.

Would be nice for someone from Corsair to confirm this, as I have tested this with 4 different fans and they all have the same results. Seems like a lot of people are unaware of this or just don't care that they're getting a "broken" product.

Does anyone know if this the same situation with the older H100? I've got a H100 still sitting in it's box unused and the new H100i I just ordered is still on the UPS truck. If this issue doesn't effect the original H100 then I could always return the H100i.

The only other question is whether the older H100 will fit LGA 1150?

• Corsair Employee

It is not specified that you cannot or should not use other fans but it does clearly state No additional hardware is necessary.

That is not what is says on Corsairs page for the H100i and I quote,

Corsair Link monitoring and control

$100+ isn't cheap for a CPU cooler and you would expect something that to work like all the other water coolers on the market

:D: try nearly 1k in cooling,and yes i havent regretted it

none of my units go over 60c using full loads so no a couple hundred rpm is pidley.

• Corsair Employee

Sorry I missed this question:

The only other question is whether the older H100 will fit LGA 1150?

A: It should but not tested however the H100 came with support for Socket 1155/1156 and socket 1150 is the same dimensions as 1155/1156 so it should be no problem. But as far as I know we have not tested this cooler with an 1150 CPU MB.

Archived