Corsair Community

SP120 pwm fan problem

Mdgtman91

to me if i see a hydro with fans included,it would be safe to assume their referring to the included fans

they dont state the max amp capabilities either so is it also expected to handle any fan regardless of amperage?

things can be construed on most any aspect to suit ones perspective but its impossible for any company to cover every users idea of what it should be able to do.

btw does intel actually supply a fan with their boards?

im a picky s.o.b when it comes to my hardware,with everything included i have well over 8k sitting in front of me,but even i wouldnt go ballistic over a couple hundred rpm

I'm glad that's what you "assume", but a lot of others will not "assume" so. Yes common sense dictated that it should be able to handle 200 amps :roll:

Intel boards only take Intel cpu's and Intel Cpu's come with the small boxed cooler. Next time I'll make sure to spell things out a little better.

It is not specified that you cannot or should not use other fans but it does clearly state No additional hardware is necessary.

Making things Bolder and larger does not negate the fact it isn't stated that its only compatible with the original Hardware.

Knowing your market is an awesome thing. Hobbyists will always prefer things to their own likings.;):

and to their own assumptions it would seem.

ramguy simply tried to make the obvious even more so,yet obviously failed to do so in this instance.

What you call "obvious" towards your form or interpretation is equally "obvious" to those who interpret things differently. "obviously in our world your opinion is fact when I merely speak of what is the industry norms and common sense. I'm sorry that escaped you.

Sorry I missed this question:

A: It should but not tested however the H100 came with support for Socket 1155/1156 and socket 1150 is the same dimensions as 1155/1156 so it should be no problem. But as far as I know we have not tested this cooler with an 1150 CPU MB.

Thanks for the response.

Now I don't know what to do, keep the H100i or just use the H100. Can anyone here comment on how much better the H100i would be at cooling a Haswell CPU compared to the older H100? In either case I would be using the SP120 PWM High Performance Edition fans.

Thanks for the response.

Now I don't know what to do, keep the H100i or just use the H100. Can anyone here comment on how much better the H100i would be at cooling a Haswell CPU compared to the older H100? In either case I would be using the SP120 PWM High Performance Edition fans.

There would be no real difference. They both use the same basic pump and the same Radiator.

The only difference would be PWM fan control and the LINK capability. Cooling performance though should be pretty equal.

Thanks for the response.

In all comparisons that I've seen/read the H100i was 2-3 degrees better than the H100 due to a difference in the cold plate design. This was in 1155 chips though as the 1150 chips weren't out yet. Still should be similar though

If you plan to use those fans just be weary of certain issues. If you already have the H100 the i version is not much of an upgrade. If you like Corsair link and the look of the pump/led then it might be worth it. It comes down to personal preference really.

ima gonna go biatch to the honeywell website cause their fan dont work on my link

pwm should be standardized.,sheesh

lol, you can up with something beter than that....cant you?

There would be no real difference. They both use the same basic pump and the same Radiator.

The only difference would be PWM fan control and the LINK capability. Cooling performance though should be pretty equal.

In all comparisons that I've seen/read the H100i was 2-3 degrees better than the H100 due to a difference in the cold plate design. This was in 1155 chips though as the 1150 chips weren't out yet. Still should be similar though

If you plan to use those fans just be weary of certain issues. If you already have the H100 the i version is not much of an upgrade. If you like Corsair link and the look of the pump/led then it might be worth it. It comes down to personal preference really.

If I end up keeping the H100i I'm wondering what is the best way to connect it if I'm not going to use Corsair Link.

One site recommended connecting both SP120 PWM High Performance Edition fans to one header on the motherboard with the supplied Y cable. On the Asus Maximus VI Extreme motherboard I'm using there are two headers one labeled CPU_FAN and the other below it labeled CPU_OPT. Is it safe to connect the two SP120 PWM fan's to the CPU_OPT header with the Y cable?

I also have another fan header labeled CHA_FAN2 in close proximity to the other two CPU fan headers. Would it be better to just connect one of the fans to that header and have each fan on it's own header?

You can just install one fan on the motherboards cpu header and the other fan on the cpu opt header. If you install fan expert from the asus ai suite you will be able to get a little more controllability than using the Bios settings, but sometimes AI suite gets buggy and starts reporting your cpu temp is negative 100c. lol

You can just install one fan on the motherboards cpu header and the other fan on the cpu opt header. If you install fan expert from the asus ai suite you will be able to get a little more controllability than using the Bios settings, but sometimes AI suite gets buggy and starts reporting your cpu temp is negative 100c. lol

Don't I need to use one of the CPU fan headers for the pump?

ima gonna go biatch to the honeywell website cause their fan dont work on my link

pwm should be standardized.,sheesh

lol, you can up with something beter than that....cant you?

yeah i can up with somthing beter but i thought it is quite pertinent to the actual concern;):

i can also actually spell better with proper grammar but i do hate using my ' in words.

Hmm. I just bought a twin pack of SP120 High Performance PWM fans to use with my H100i. These are replacing their normal SP120 High Performance set simply for the purpose of having greater control over the fan speed without having to take out and put in the fan speed reducers. I will report back when I have them installed to see what kind of speeds I am getting. I will be pretty disappointed if I put these in and they don't operate at full speed. I have spent $80 on replacement fans now directly from Corsair; I would hope that this wouldn't be an issue trying to get their own products working together properly.

Hmm. I just bought a twin pack of SP120 High Performance PWM fans to use with my H100i. These are replacing their normal SP120 High Performance set simply for the purpose of having greater control over the fan speed without having to take out and put in the fan speed reducers. I will report back when I have them installed to see what kind of speeds I am getting. I will be pretty disappointed if I put these in and they don't operate at full speed. I have spent $80 on replacement fans now directly from Corsair; I would hope that this wouldn't be an issue trying to get their own products working together properly.

Be prepared to get disappointed cause I have the exact same fans. They max out at around 2080 RPM when connected to the pump. If I knew there was issues with the pump fan header, I would've got Noctua fans from the start and just use a PWM splitter connected to the mobo fan header and have all 4 fans connected to that.

I'm still hoping for someone from Corsair or Ramguy to confirm if this problem is a known issue or if this is the way they intended their fan controller to work. Been a big fan of their products for a long time but I''m starting to lose a lot of respect for them.

Don't I need to use one of the CPU fan headers for the pump?

No. The fan header on the pump is simply to supply a rpm signal to the motherboard so the motherboard will not throw a no cpu fan error and refuse to boot.

yeah i can up with somthing beter but i thought it is quite pertinent to the actual concern;):

i can also actually spell better with proper grammar but i do hate using my ' in words.

Oh ok. I thought you had given up on a healthy conversation. ;):

Been there done that. See my thread HERE for responses from Corsair. They will not reach max rpm even though the motherboard will spin them at almost max in the same locations. Took me a couple of hours wiring everything and double checking locations etc too. :(:

I'm still hoping for someone from Corsair or Ramguy to confirm if this problem is a known issue or if this is the way they intended their fan controller to work. Been a big fan of their products for a long time but I''m starting to lose a lot of respect for them.

Ive been voicing my concerns about the built in fan controller and its inabilities for some time here and have not received any hint of anything being wrong with the built in fan controller and my posts have gone either ignored or looked at like if the problem was with either my setup, expectations, or interpretation of the products I purchased. :(:

Ive been voicing my concerns about the built in fan controller and its inabilities for some time here and have not received any hint of anything being wrong with the built in fan controller and my posts have gone either ignored or looked at like if the problem was with either my setup, expectations, or interpretation of the products I purchased.:

no offense but from what ive seen here in the last year,a majority of problems are user related.these products are quite finicky and many things can mess em up

i d/loaded an emulator on one of my computers the other day and it knocked my link out of its boot process.now some would be stumped,come here,whine that the link is broken.,but programs affect other programs and most just cant put 2 and 2 together.

now i can understand some having hardware problems because of all units made,some will be faulty but when i see a software complaint,i know its user related simply because the software is the same for everyone.it doesnt just work sometimes and then not.

no offense but from what ive seen here in the last year,a majority of problems are user related.these products are quite finicky and many things can mess em up

i d/loaded an emulator on one of my computers the other day and it knocked my link out of its boot process.now some would be stumped,come here,whine that the link is broken.,but programs affect other programs and most just cant put 2 and 2 together.

now i can understand some having hardware problems because of all units made,some will be faulty but when i see a software complaint,i know its user related simply because the software is the same for everyone.it doesnt just work sometimes and then not.

None taken and will agree there are some user error situations being reported as issues with the unit itself. I've witnessed yourself, other forum members, corsairs reps, and even myself help those and address those issues for what they were and being resolved.

From the very beginning there have been problems with the built in fan controller. Beginning with the original 3 pin fans that would not make any noise when connected to motherboards or fan controllers and even power supplies but would make horrible noises when connected to the H100i.

If you were one of the lucky ones not affected by this, and the H100i spins your pwm SP120 fans up to max rpm that is fine. You cant take your situation as an absolute and completely dismiss when others have some issues.

If you were one of the lucky ones not affected by this, and the H100i spins your pwm SP120 fans up to max rpm that is fine. You cant take your situation as an absolute and completely dismiss when others have some issues.

it cant be construed as luck to have bought 3 units and all 3 work,and then like some that have had 3,4,or 5 bad units in a row,,its simply impossible

the fault must be user related.

Posted by snowbob:

Can this issue be addressed by a firmware update? Or is the fan controller incapable of running the fans at the maximum speeds?

It's possible if it's a software related issue. But if it boils down t the design of the controller , then it may not be

Originally posted by wytnyt:

It;s been awhile since i have used my h-80 or the CL software. But i never could get my LINK system to work properly. I tried and tried, update after update.

I'll agree that in some cases it can be user error but being among those that have had problems with the software i believe it may either be a hardware clash or some other software on that particular users machine that is clashing with the CL link software.

I would RMA mine and try it agin, but i sleeved all my cables and such and don't feel like redoing all that ! :P

That would certainly help explain why those users with multiple RMA's because of the CL SW keep having the same problems. What exactly is that software or where the problem is , is anyone's guess.

I'll agree that in some cases it can be user error but being among those that have had problems with the software i believe it may either be a hardware clash or some other software on that particular users machine that is clashing with the CL link software.

ive said this on countless occasions,and diagnosing can be a very hard process.

Archived