Corsair Community

icue 64 bit?

drcmclow

In most cases, there's no real need for a 64-bit version. There's no performance benefit and it consumes (but can address) more memory. The case where this would help is specifically in some HEDT systems with more than (IIRC) 16 cores as a 32-bit application cannot "see" the extra cores.

What is it that you are hoping to gain from a 64-bit version?

i always thought 32bit software need more resurces if it runs on 64bit ios because 64 bit will utilities the processing capabilities of the system a lot better than 32 bit... also with 32 bit u dont have acces to the full ram....

correct me if im wrong...

First, all memory access is virtualized. Software doesn't have direct access to any of it. Regardless of the amount of RAM in the system, each 32-bit process has access to 4GB of addressable space. On a 32-bit OS, some of this is taken by the OS. On a 64-bit OS, it's not, even for a 32-bit application. So there are benefits for running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit OS and iCUE will get those benefits when running on a 64-bit OS.

But if your application doesn't need to address more than 4GB of data, there's little benefit to running as a 64-bit application. There's no difference in processing capabilities. There's no difference in most APIs. There is a downside in that all of your handles are now 64 bits wide ... so a 64-bit application will consume a good deal more memory than a 32-bit application.

So ... I don't know where you came up with thinking that it would utilize the processing capabilities of the system a lot better - it's just not true and nowhere will you see Microsoft or anyone else saying so. There's a reason why applications like Office and even Visual Studio (Microsoft's development environment) are still 32-bit - well, Office has a 64-bit version but that's not the default and it's really only recommended if you are working with super-huge Office documents (particularly Excel files). While there are other examples where running as 64-bit has benefits, none of them really apply to iCue EXCEPT the ability to see more than 16 cores (and even then only in rare cases and only for the system monitoring component). But even if the app can't "see" the extra cores, it can use them - in most cases, Windows handles scheduling threads for execution on the available cores invisibly to the application - and that's what you want. Furthermore, iCue would use more memory AND they'd still have to release a 32-bit version, so development would slow as they'd need to test both versions independently.

the problem is, as I understand it, even references in memory that get passed back and forth are twice as big...I dont know the nitty gritty but in an advanced physics lab a hundred years ago, a professor had us take 16 bit ASM and make 32 stuff out of it for a real basic calculator that could handle numbers of that size....basically as I recall it involved appending another 8 bits on the front significant end of it to make a 16 bit variable. It was a job in and of itself but basically it had more overhead to just keep track of the memory. It must be a lot more efficient now, but I imagine there must be some loss of being 64 bits vs 32

Archived