Corsair Community

iCue fan Control vs Motherboard PWM Control

jjds123

I'm currently looking at buying some LL120s for my new build.

My question to someone who has experience with both PWM control from a motherboard and control in Corsair software - which do you prefer for controlling fan speeds?

As far as I can tell, the commander pro only really offers the ability to control the fan speeds compared to using a lighting node, so i'm trying to figure out whether it's going to be worth it for me.

iCUE + a Commander Pro is desktop software control across a large number of control variables. Motherboard controls are BIOS based and with a very limited number of control variables. Some motherboard vendors offer a desktop software control program that overrides the BIOS controls, but also tends to interfere with other programs. Typically is does not offer any more control choices than the BIOS. You haven't listed your motherboard make and model or any other Corsair devices that might be included in the iCUE control system, so its hard to be more precise than that.

iCUE + a Commander Pro is desktop software control across a large number of control variables. Motherboard controls are BIOS based and with a very limited number of control variables. Some motherboard vendors offer a desktop software control program that overrides the BIOS controls, but also tends to interfere with other programs. Typically is does not offer any more control choices than the BIOS. You haven't listed your motherboard make and model or any other Corsair devices that might be included in the iCUE control system, so its hard to be more precise than that.

Thanks. I haven't purchased anything yet, but i'm looking at the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M.

I havne't built a new rig since before PWM was mainstream so I haven't really had any experience with either which makes things a bit trickier.

Sounds like controlling in desktop software might be preferable.. I don't much like the idea of going into the BIOS to tweak things if needed.

The main limitation is control variables. Choices are very limited, except sometimes on the top tier boards that have add in temp sensors, etc. (like a Commander Pro). Running your case fans from CPU temp in these days of highly reactive processors is really maddening. Obviously making changes from the desktop is a lot easier and you can make subtle tweaks as you go. Always super helpful when putting together a new system.

If you want to look at it from a narrow perspective, check the number of available fan headers on your board versus number of fans you plan to use and if those can be paired via splitters.

Also, just FYI... the Commander Pro can set each of the 6 control headers individually for PWM or DC control. You are not locked into one fan type. This is true for 99% of motherboard headers as well, although every now and then CPU Fan (and OPT) might be PWM only.

You will get a LNP in the triple pack of LL120s along with a RGB lighting hub. That is all you need to make it work. The LNPs are not wasted if not used. They can be chained into the Commander Pro to create more RGB channels. I always thought that was excessive, but here I am with fans, strips, a CPU block, and water pump that all need one. That's a C-Pro's 2 channels and another 2 from a LNP.