Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D SATA III hotswap board issues

alexanderhunter

I built my new computer today and everything was going fine until window finished the first part of the windows installation. Computer restarted and then froze on the "starting up windows" screen. After waiting a few minutes the logo went away and i was left with a black screen for hours. I tried reinstalling windows several times, and also tried using a different windows 7 pro OEM disc, but same issue. I then took out my ssd from the hotswap bay and plugged it into the motherboard directly, reinstalled windows and everything finished.

So, after windows was installed, i wanted to see if my OS could boot with the SATA drive connected via the hotswap board. NOOOOPE. hangs on the windows logo. What gives????? I then tried another corsair SATA III hotswap board and got the same issue. i ended up having to remove the sataIII board because the Hard drive rails (for the lower Hard drive bay) included with the case did not fit my mushkin chronos 2.5inch to 3.5inch mounting bracket; only 1 pin on each rail could connect to the bracket and so the bracket has no way of staying up.

Did anyone else have issues like this?

Corsair has said they are looking into the problems people are having with the Sata III hotswap backplane, hopefully they have an answer soon as it's been well over a month. For the time being, I mounted my Sata III SSDs in the lower hard drive mounts and have been using the hotswap bays for full size hard drives and Sata II SSDs.

Corsair has said they are looking into the problems people are having with the Sata III hotswap backplane, hopefully they have an answer soon as it's been well over a month. For the time being, I mounted my Sata III SSDs in the lower hard drive mounts and have been using the hotswap bays for full size hard drives and Sata II SSDs.

I have a X58 Platform and i'm not experiencing any problems with a Force 3?

motherboard is evga z68 ftw motherboard, and i'm using a core i7 2600k, sandybridge. Sata is set to AHCI, never thought about changing voltage. will changing the voltage make my system less stable or hurt my MB? i'm a little scared to mess around with those things haha.

If you are worried a bit the PCH voltage is the Southbridge controller. It controls your SATA devices. I'd 1.15v is considered safe for it. Refer to your motherboard use manual for the voltage limits.

@ND40oz

Nope, The P6T-SE doesn't come with the Marvell Controller.

Your motherboard does not have any SATA III ports.

Only SATA 3gb/s

From the Asus website

Intel® ICH10R controller :

6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), navy blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell 88SE6320 controller :

2 x SAS port(s), black

Support Raid 0, 1

Marvell 88SE6121 controller :

2 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

Support Raid 0

@ND40oz

Nope, The P6T-SE doesn't come with the Marvell Controller.

Your motherboard does not have any SATA III ports.

Only SATA 3gb/s

From the Asus website

Intel® ICH10R controller :

6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), navy blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell 88SE6320 controller :

2 x SAS port(s), black

Support Raid 0, 1

Marvell 88SE6121 controller :

2 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

Support Raid 0

My motherboard doesn't have any natively, but I have an LSI 9265-8i that I use with my drives.

• 1 month later...
I built my new computer today andeverything was going fine until window finished the first part of the windows installation. Computer restarted and then froze on the "starting up windows" screen. After waiting a few minutes the logo went away and i was left with a black screen for hours. I tried reinstalling windows several times, and also tried using a different windows 7 pro OEM disc, but same issue. I then took out my ssd from the hotswap bay and plugged it into the motherboard directly, reinstalled windows and everything finished.

So, after windows was installed, i wanted to see if my OS could boot with the SATA drive connected via the hotswap board. NOOOOPE. hangs on the windows logo. What gives????? I then tried another corsair SATA III hotswap board and got the same issue. i ended up having to remove the sataIII board because the Hard drive rails (for the lower Hard drive bay) included with the case did not fit my ******** chronos 2.5inch to 3.5inch mounting bracket; only 1 pin on each rail could connect to the bracket and so the bracket has no way of staying up.

Did anyone else have issues like this?

Yes! Setup worked fine with old backplane (x25-m g2 + 3x 2tb Samsung). Had been having small freezes now and then and last night my x25 craps out on me in the middle of a big programming assignment. Got a ******** 3 today and had a freeze a few minutes ago. I started putting it together and realized that before the backplane upgrad things were moving along swimmingly. On a lark I decided to see if others have had issues and lo and behold here you are!

Corsair I am very disappointed in you for this. I PAID for an upgrade and I got something that might have crapped all over me in the middle of finals week. I bet this has something to do with the power distribution. Needless to say you need to fix it. By my count you owe me one ssd now, which intel will probably rma because of this. I would rma the backplane except it's not worth the hassle and could you blame me if I said I never wanted to use one again? This should not happen. It's not a complicated architecture and the stakes here are high. Do more quality testing before you release something like this in the future and you won't lose people like me as customers.

• Corsair Employee

Sorry about that. What I would suggest for now is by pass the backplane and connect your drives directly to the MB.

Use the link of the left and submit and RMA explaining what the situation is, we will be able to send you a replacement w/o you sending the defective backplane back to us.

Didn't see the thing about pch (which is ich on asus x58 I'm guessing.) bumped up to 1.2 and keeping fingers crossed. Still should not be my responsibility to search around the net or frag my own ssd... I appreciate your offer but that won't be necessary. It's not like mine is too abnormal to judge by the other comments.

I also have been experiencing problems with the backplanes in the 800D. I have my ssd's drop out from time to time and random bsod's.

I thought this problem would go away by upgrading to the sata3 backplane but it didn't. I originally had the 4 separate sata2 backplanes but contacted Corsair to get a sata3 one sent to me.

From time to time I have to remove and insert my drive in their caddies to get them to show up on boot.

I will check my bios settings and post back.

edit: sata is set to ahci and voltages are all fine. 1 TB WD black has never dropped out either

afaik, Corsair is aware that there is a problem with the 6gb/s sata blackplanes and is looking into it. In my case, the backplane works with Sata II drives but not Sata III drives. I have removed the backplane and connected the cables directly to the Sata III hard drives and I have no problems. Hopefully, Corsair can solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issues here.

Hot swapping into the Corsair bay results in a blue screen within 30 seconds.

Tried a little experiment - plugged the same drive directly into the motherboard and bypassed the Corsair bay. Instant success.

Looks like the Corsair backplane is the problem.

So far no solutions. Hopefully Corsair will step up with a fix.

Happy New Year to all.:biggrin:

This time I moved the boot/system disk off the back-plane and booted into Windows.

Then tried hot-plugging a single HDD into the back-plane. Success. No blue-screen.

Now comes the interesting bit.

Plugged a second HDD in to the back-plane and saw that the other disk disk that I'd plugged in previously disappear from windows for a few second. The system message said the disk had been unplugged. Then both disks spun up again and both were mounted.

What can be inferred from this?

Rgds,

Have to correct my last post where I said hot-swapping did not crash the system when the boot drive was not on the backplane.

Just tried a hot swap and the system crashed - moving the boot drive off the backplane is not a solution, at least on my rig.

Rgds,

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would use this thread to explain my Sata 6gb backplane issue. So mine was working sort of when I first installed. By using intel RST I found that my 510 series drive would report as 3gb a lot. From what I can tell this was causing my explorer.exe(random .dll files) windows file to crash often daily, assuming windows was having trouble accessing my ssd.

I have since bypassed my Corsair backplane and have yet to crash explorer.exe in windows(3 days strong) with no other changes done to my system. I have also held a 6gb connection to my 510 ssd.

I guess I am hoping others with similar issues try this out. It took me a while troubleshooting and I know I can't be the only one.

Kevin

Is this a known problem with all sata3 backplane's or just random? About to build a system around the 800D and a little concerned. If it is all how best to mount the drives, get rid of the backplane altogether? I only see the hotswap bay and the 2 x 3.5" bays below.

cheers

brasc

corsair has been aware of this problem since the backplane was released about 5 months ago i believe. while their support seems top be good in a lot of othere areas i dont believe it is going to be forthcoming for this particular peice of equipment. probably due t ostreaight math as far as cost considerations vs customer satisfaction & the fact that if you plug directly into mb and not use the backplane(which u paid for) all problems go away.

Hi, I've been have the same problem using Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD. I bought the upgrade kit but had never used the hot swap bays until the other day. Another thing I was on the main site and tried to order on of the hot swap bay doors and keep getting a "Gateway Error transaction declined" msg. I know I'm using the right payment information and I've tried it three times.

Archived