Corsair Community

Force Series Sleep/Hibernate Work Around

The Corsair Force Series SSDs continue to offer blistering performance with an awesome combination of read and write speeds. We are continually working with SandForce to improve and support our SSD line up. We have noticed that since our most recent firmware update for the Force 1200 series, released in November of 2010, that a small number of users are still having issues relating to startup and hibernation. In some cases, these issues relate to how certain systems boot up or recover from a hibernation state.

We are currently qualifying several MP4 firmware versions to evaluate their reliability and effectiveness at addressing these issues. However, they are not ready for release at this time. We have determined that some users with these startup and hibernation issues can benefit from using a work around. Many BIOS’ have a feature that occurs during the POST process relating to boot speed called Quick boot, Fast boot, or some similar variation of this term. This setting can contribute to these start up and hibernation issues.

If you are an user with these issues, we have prepared a guide for disabling this quick boot feature. These screen shots are from a AMI BIOS on an ASUS motherboard. Your individual BIOS may differ in either layout or terminology. If you are not certain which term your BIOS uses for the quick boot feature, or how to enter and navigate inside your BIOS, please refer to your manual or your motherboard manufacturer for assistance.

Step 1. Enter your BIOS. Typically this is done using the Delete key or F1 key.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8296&stc=1&d=1302064628

Step 2. Navigate to the Boot section and enter this section.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8297&stc=1&d=1302064628

On laptops, the BIOS may appear a bit differently but, the navigation and selection is essentially the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8300&stc=1&d=1302064838

Step 3. Navigate to the Quick Boot option and set it to disabled.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8298&stc=1&d=1302064628

And again, the navigation is very similar on a laptop.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8301&d=1302064961

Step 4. Save the settings, exit the BIOS, and reboot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8299&stc=1&d=1302064628

FW1.jpg.42d6cd9aaf21636a743e603056e4a293.jpg

FW2.jpg.ab0bc31bcd4b775d633b2112e8280853.jpg

FW3.jpg.8a9f9d825fd4c18ea3638a434b0d2b7d.jpg

FW4.jpg.0fe42a21f02949f46703d89d9d3084f1.jpg

FW5.jpg.06c048e530888e899501cd01aeb23a62.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Try this:

1.Enter your Bios

2.Go to the Power Tab

3.Find ACPI Suspend Type and if it is on "Auto" change it to S3

4.exit and save

When your on your desktop go to Intel Download Center and update your Chipset Drivers.

DON'T update it from your motherboard manufacturer as sometimes it may be outdated.

Intel Download Center

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote this post to add that turning off the "Quick Boot" setting does seem fix hibernation issues for the Corsair Performance 3 series SSD's. I'm using an EVGA P55 Classified 200 mainboard, which happens to use an AMI BIOS similar to the one demonstrated.

I installed the Windows Hotfix KB2495523 (available here) previously, but the problem seemed to recur about two weeks after its installation.

I also have "Hybrid Sleep" turned OFF in the Power Settings in Control Panel.

• 2 weeks later...

With HP nw8440 there is no way to set boot speed..

Corsair CSSD-F240GB2 HD is not detected if you reset the pc, it is detected only on cold boot ( on button ), since bios is taking more time to start..

if you hybernate the pc you will always have the bsod "blue screen"...

is there any update scheduled???

this HD is not usable at all....

Any ETA on the firmware update ?

This work around seemed to fix the bootproblems and bsod when returning from sleep on my old Dell Inspiron 1720 (Vista 32bit) but added about a minute to my boot time.

Unfortunately the bios on my Vaio CB is locked so there is no way to even try this fix \ work around and I'm having the same problems on this computer , about 50 % chance of not finding Drive on startup and 50% chance of BSOD when returning from sleep.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm using a HP Elitebook 8540w and I have the exactly same issue as described but there is no Disable QuickBoot in my BIOS. I tried to put a 5 second delay on the splash screen but it's always a HIT or MISS if the drive will boot. It also always ends up in BSOD when waking from sleep or hibernation. VERY VERY ANNOYING issue. Can I send the disk back to replace it by another one?

i had lots of BSOD afer resume from hibernate/S4 (i do not use sleep/S3) but disabling quick boot in the bios did nothing for me.

i was able to solve it by upgrading the Intel RST driver from 10.1.0.1008 to 10.5.0.1027 and it still works fine after 10+ resumes :)

I really don't see how that would fix my issue since it's a windows driver and the problem seems to be before bootup in my case and others. I really need a firmware fix for this or else is there anyway I can get an RMA or Refund?

I really don't see how that would fix my issue since it's a windows driver and the problem seems to be before bootup in my case and others. I really need a firmware fix for this or else is there anyway I can get an RMA or Refund?

Try upgrading the driver first. If you think your drive is defective, we have no problem RMAing it. But, an RMA may not solve the issue if you are having a firmware based issue. As for a refund, you'd need to speak to your retailer about that.

• 3 weeks later...
No, sorry but as noted multiple times on the forums, we do not have an ETA on this firmware. We'll announce it when we do have one.

I sure hope it's sooner than later as I have two F60's sitting here both with V2.0 firmware and both sitting on my desk as I can't use them in the two netbooks they were purchased for. Both netbook's suffer from the same fate when these F60's are used :(

I sure hope it's soon.

I sure hope it's sooner than later as I have two F60's sitting here both with V2.0 firmware and both sitting on my desk as I can't use them in the two netbooks they were purchased for. Both netbook's suffer from the same fate when these F60's are used :(

I sure hope it's soon.

HERE IS ANOTHER SOLUTION that has benefitted some F series and F Series 3 users.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I disabled Quick boot from BIOS and no result.

There is any chances to get a new update to firmware for Forces Series (like Force3/GT series).

I have a Force 115GB2-A (firmware 2.1a) and I got a Windows7 freezing screen ONLY after I try to wake laptop from sleeping mode (even in linux Ubuntu 11.10 I have the same error). Hibernation works OK and no random BSODs.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

After I updated F115 to 2.4 firmware it remains sleep problem on my laptop.

Anyway I tested F115 on a Asrok motherboard Extreme 3 Gen 3with Z68 chipset + i5 2500k + UEFI 1.10 with default settings and THERE IS NO SLEEP PROBLEMS. (NOR HIBERNATING ETC)

Conclusion: F115 is incompatible with mobile platforms (Intel Centrino GS45 +ICH9M/M-E) and old Asus bios (from 2009 -last version 216) even it exist AHCI option (I read elsewhere that on mobile platform, starting with IRST 10 version, IRST enables by default some advance power management features like LPM). On deskop it didnt activate that feature.

Finally my old bios from 2009 +Intel GS45 and Intel RST driver are incompatible with THE NEW F115.

Question: how hdd works ok with no sleeping problem ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived