Corsair Community

12V Rail too high?

spar

Hi guys, I recently bought a VX550, and since a couple of weeks or so Im regularly checking my volts and temps cause my graphic card stopped working after 7 months. (turned out to be a faulty card)

But in the process of testing my GFX card, I found out the volts on the 12V rail were pretty high, and just underneath the 5%.

This is my system;

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/1441/voltsyi5.th.jpg

GFX card: Radeon Sapphire x1950 Pro 256MB

As you can see, Everest says there's 12.48V on the 12V rail, which is fluctuating between 12.42V and 12.48V, and sometimes it reads 12.61V for a second. All the other numbers are well within the 5%.

I thought maybe I messed up connecting an old fan thru a molex connector, but after disconnecting that one (yes, with the power OFF), I saw no changes.

Only have 3 USB devices connected, 1 headset, 1 mouse, 1 phone recharger. Only have 1 hard disk connected, 1 mo/bo (duh), a processor and a GFX card. Ow, and currently 1 fan which says "0.1 amps" on the sticker.

So I was wondering if Im in the danger zone? Im pretty new to all this tech stuff so I have no idea if Im missing something big here.

Normally, you should not fully trust software readings. The motherboard voltage sensors can sometimes give you false values. If you can, use a digital multimeter to measure the voltages. It will most likely give you a more accurate reading.

• Corsair Employee
JoeBob is right. 12.6v is the max that the 12v rail would be able to hit, in order to remain within spec, and if it was frequently hitting 12.6v we would want to get the unit replaced. But software can be off by quite a bit. You may want to test with a multimeter, and if you do not have one available, then check the rail with other software, and the BIOS to see if you have consistent results.

JoeBob is right. 12.6v is the max that the 12v rail would be able to hit, in order to remain within spec, and if it was frequently hitting 12.6v we would want to get the unit replaced. But software can be off by quite a bit. You may want to test with a multimeter, and if you do not have one available, then check the rail with other software, and the BIOS to see if you have consistent results.

I actually installed Everest because Speedfan was giving me like 4V on the 12V rail, but if that was the case I wouldnt be posting this...

I checked the Everest log btw, it hit 12.61V two times in the last 9 hours, so its not that frequently.

But I will try to get my hands on a multimeter.

• 6 months later...

Sorry I had to bump this, I totally forgot about this forum :(: Just wanna let you guys know it works excellent! (and I actually had another question about something entirely different)

I bought the multimeter, and it turned out my +12V rail was fine :o: It showed a reading of around 12.08 V.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/299/overviewpp3.th.jpghttp://img509.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

That's my system now, same system, only OC'ed, cause its old. Both Speedfan and Everst still show wrong +12V readings, rest is pretty much spot on. BIOS gives a more believable reading of 12.0something.

Power hungry x1950, 4 case fans, LED lights, an OC'd CPU. It's taking it all. :D:

Archived