Corsair Community

Carbide Air 540 - AIO Watercooling and airflow question

Pulse207

I'm excited about my planned build in a 540, which I chose for the great airflow and watercooling potential. I may have gone too far with my planning, however. I intend to cool a 4770k with a kraken x60. Later (once budget concerns are resolved), I plan to cool my gpu, a R9 290X, with a Kraken g10 and x40. On paper, this sounds fantastic, especially the gpu. Watercooling makes a huge difference with a 290x.

My question is this: what would the ideal placement of fans and radiators be, as well as intake vs. exhaust on them? In order to have both radiators functioning as intakes, I feel that mounting the x60 on the front and the x40 on the rear should give each more than enough cool air. But is only top exhaust an acceptable setup? The unique nature if the 540 leads me to think it's more acceptable than in a typical case.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I wouldn't run them as intakes. It will heat up every other component in your case. Including motherboard VRMs and graphics card VRMs which is really what you should be concerned about with the g10 bracket on a 290x. I'm not sure if it will fit but I'd run them in top and rear as exhaust and then run 3x120mm intakes. If you have to go down to a 120mm rad for the 290x for both to fit in that orientation I would.

while i thoroughly enjoy helping others,this has to be one of the most discussed topics here.

not trying to be crass in any way but searching of this will be of most benefit to you and give you ideas that may be missed here.

but of course well still post with ideas...;):

I'm not sure if it will fit but I'd run them in top and rear as exhaust and then run 3x120mm intakes. If you have to go down to a 120mm rad for the 290x for both to fit in that orientation I would.

So, for example, choose an 240 mm rad instead the x60, and try and fit another 120 under it in the front? I had considered that but wasn't sure about clearance with two rads. I'll take a closer look around the forums and try to be less repetitive in my requests. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

two H75's as intake, H90 blowing out the rear.

I config just about everyway possible. The h90 can go out the rear or up top. I have the h75's as intakes, if I flip and exhaust hot air my temp rise by 10c+

The hot intake air actually cools cards better then pulling hot air from them.

H90 is 140mm, h75 is 120mm

The ideal setup would be to move the h75's up one slot and put the single intake air fan on the bottom but the hoses arent long enough. The kraken series aio cooler supposed to have xtra 4" of hose but I think the hose are going to be too short still

Post # 514

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/Pdasterly/corsair_zps29aa9bb2.jpg

Choose a simple air flow path you want.

Intake or exhaust for radiators generally does not matter; fans can push way more air through a radiator than it can heat up, go ahead touch the radiator while the pump is running its gonna feel cold to the touch. What does matter is that the fans PUSH air through the radiators.

People tend to greatly exaggerate how much having air intake through a radiator heats up the air. Not having enough air intake WILL cause temps to raise incredibly, you can't displace heat by only blowing air off something, it needs air coming in to replace it. A constant plentiful supply of air that cycles itself is the most efficient way to cool.

This will be an effective and simple air flow path.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18258&stc=1&d=1400033221

Choose a simple air flow path you want.

Intake or exhaust for radiators generally does not matter; fans can push way more air through a radiator than it can heat up, go ahead touch the radiator while the pump is running its gonna feel cold to the touch. What does matter is that the fans PUSH air through the radiators.

People tend to greatly exaggerate how much having air intake through a radiator heats up the air. Not having enough air intake WILL cause temps to raise incredibly, you can't displace heat by only blowing air off something, it needs air coming in to replace it. A constant plentiful supply of air that cycles itself is the most efficient way to cool.

This will be an effective and simple air flow path.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18258&stc=1&d=1400033221

You posted a pic of my old system

Archived