Corsair Community

5V over voltage problem

steve1_11010

Hi all. Trying to figure out a problem that just started today. Got an AX650 with an Asus P8Z77-V and an 3570K. System was built in early July and has been running fine. No over clock at this time.

Booted up today and got an error that 5V was too high. PC rebooted.

Went into the BIOS and 5V in voltage monitoring section was showing around 5.5v in red. As I watched, it climbed to over 6v and the PC rebooted again. Tried resetting BIOS to defaults, no good. Checked all cabling, everything seems fine.

Can't get the PC to stay up for more than 30 seconds. Is this a bad PSU? It was fine yesterday.

Also tried disabling Asus surge protection and 5v monitoring. Still rebooting.

sometimes a loose connection of a power cable inside the case can cause this, remove the psu plug from the wall ac and disconnect and re-connect all your power connections in the case. the reason I say this is I had a similar issue with my corsair ax1200 and it turned out that my main 24 pin psu connection to my mother board was not in all the way therefore I had a bad connection. if this does not work for you then I would RMA the psu using the link on the lower left of this page

Thanks to all that answered and made suggestions. I went ahead and got the advanced RMA processed.

I picked up a multimeter today and got the same results that the motherboard/bios was showing. Voltage started out around 5.4v and climbed steadily up to 5.9v. So I'm pretty confident that a new PSU will fix the problem.

I'll post again when I get the replacement installed.

Steve

Archived