Corsair Community

warm PSU

benjaminbms

• Corsair Employee
Hey guys.

i have just bought a RM 750 and it is geting very hot, over 55°C when i am palying BF4 on ultra and the fan is stil not spinning plz help (sry for bad english)

System specs?

• Administrators
Hey guys.

i have just bought a RM 750 and it is geting very hot, over 55°C when i am palying BF4 on ultra and the fan is stil not spinning plz help (sry for bad english)

What's the lot code on your PSU? How are you testing the PSU's temp?

• Corsair Employee
lot code: 1409 (i think)

i am using a temp sensor taped on the bag of the PSU so it is propaly hotter inside then out side

(sry for bad english)

Well... if it's not a lot code < 1341 and your PSU isn't shutting down, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

• Corsair Employee
But the PSU is heating up all the other things ind my pc my CPU Got 97-99c when i played yesterday

How is the PSU heating up all of your other parts? If the fan was spinning, it would suck air in and blow out the back. Otherwise, that much heat shouldn't be radiating off of the PSU.

Do you have any airflow within the case itself? What are your system specs? What chassis? How is the PSU oriented? This should be its own thread.

How is the PSU heating up all of your other parts? If the fan was spinning, it would suck air in and blow out the back. Otherwise, that much heat shouldn't be radiating off of the PSU.

Do you have any airflow within the case itself? What are your system specs? What chassis? How is the PSU oriented? This should be its own thread.

I dont have any airflow in the case but it was not a problem before. My specs

intel i7-2600 (stock cooler)

8GB Kingston RAM

MSI Geforce GTX 760 OC (Twin frozer)

Intel motheboard (i think)

1TB HDD

dvd drive

My PSU is top mountet fan down.

Case: http://media.audio.dk/imageCrops/20110527/Inter-data-x-one-dominator_imageCopy_f29c7371_crop_f2f8cc49.jpg

• Corsair Employee

Ok... So you have a CPU cooler and your stock GPU cooler and no case fans? And a PSU that has a Zero RPM mode?

Yeah.....

And are there better pictures of that case that show where the PSU is? Maybe a picture of your own PC?

At the end of the day, this doesn't sound like a PSU problem. It sounds like a build problem. You should either have at least one case fan (I suggest an exhaust) or a PSU with a fan that runs all of the time.

Ok... So you have a CPU cooler and your stock GPU cooler and no case fans? And a PSU that has a Zero RPM mode?

Yeah.....

And are there better pictures of that case that show where the PSU is? Maybe a picture of your own PC?

At the end of the day, this doesn't sound like a PSU problem. It sounds like a build problem. You should either have at least one case fan (I suggest an exhaust) or a PSU with a fan that runs all of the time.

But why was the heat not a problem before? And is there not a temp sensor in the PSU?

• Corsair Employee

What's the difference before then and now? I don't know what "before" was so I can't answer your question. A different PSU? Different room temperature?

And, of course the PSU has a temp sensor. That's how it knows when to either turn the fan on, turn it up or shut the PSU down completely to avoid overheating.

What's the difference before then and now? I don't know what "before" was so I can't answer your question. A different PSU? Different room temperature?

And, of course the PSU has a temp sensor. That's how it knows when to either turn the fan on, turn it up or shut the PSU down completely to avoid overheating.

Before my pc dident run that Hot the CPU was max 70-80. My case was not hot to touch. My rom temp is about 21c when i dont play and 23c when i have play for 2-3 houers. The PSU i had before did not get that hot it could get hot but not so that i transferd heat to the case. I cant upload pictures right now i am on my ipad, i have just send my PSU back and waiting for a new one, still a RM 750.

• Corsair Employee

Ok. That PSU, like most, has the fan running all of the time. So it's actually acting as an exhaust fan for your entire system since your case currently doesn't have an exhaust fan. Since the RM doesn't have an active fan, there's no where for your hot air to go. Your CPU gets hot... your GPU gets hot....

You should get a PSU that doesn't have the Zero RPM mode or install an exhaust fan in your case. Of the two, the latter makes the most sense to me.

• Corsair Employee
What fan should I use. If I get a corsair H80i will that do the trick?

Well, any fan, whether it's just a fan like the AF120 or a fan as part of a closed loop cooling system like the H80i, will help.

Yes, adding a CPU radiator/fan, like the H80i, to your chassis is going to double as an exhaust for your entire system. As long as you have the radiator installed so it's blowing out of the case (I know that sounds obvious at this point, but just want to make sure it's clear).

• Corsair Employee
So if I get a fan my PSU will not run that hot.

Before my pc dident run that Hot the CPU was max 70-80. My case was not hot to touch.

If you get a fan your COMPUTER will not run so hot.

The PSU is fine.

That's an option.

You can't have a PC run without ZERO means of evacuating heat out of your case. The air isn't going to magically go from the inside to the outside. Your last build, your PSU happened to act as an exhaust fan. Now, you don't have that option so you need a real fan.

Archived