Corsair Community

MSI K9N NEO v1 + 8gb Corsair RAM

nikolaj

Hi guys,

I just recently purchased 2 brand new (that being stated by respected ebay-seller) twin packs of 4GB DDR2 800MHz for my a bit oldish PC. Also I recently bought new (used) procesor, max my mobo can take, 6000+ Athlon (125W). The computer worked 2 weeks using that CPU, and it never had any problems.

Today, when I unpacked my RAM and plugged it in my PC, I got a lot of problems.

First of all, my last shutdown was not actually a shutdown, but a hybernate since there was a lenghty virus scan, and it got to 50%. So I paused it and hybernated.

During boot-up, Windows 7 asked me to reinstall my old RAM modules so it can un-hybernate, or to continue to "new" boot with this configuration.

I decided to continue, and Windows started booting up. After 30 seconds I got first of many BSOD-s.

Then I got to this web page and read alot of info on setting up of the BIOS to make the comp run. I found that for my mobo, correct timings are 5-5-5-18, and set it acordingly. Also I raised module voltage to 2.0 V. None of this settings had major impact on the system stability.

I got most stable system in one run where I disabled page file, but ATI CC kept crashing, and after few crashes I got another BSOD.

I have allready updated BIOS for processor change weeks ago, so that cant be the problem.

I tryed Windows Memory Diagnostic, wich didnt find any problems with the RAM modules.

On entering BIOS setup, I noticed that I got a lot of new options after BIOS update, and I'm afraid lots of that stuff is to abrevated or random to me.

Is there any more BIOS changes that I should do to put my PC in steady and stabile mode?

Just minutes ago, I got back to my PC wich I left while Win were booting, and got an "Unknown HDD error", so I started HDD Regenerator run.

I will test each RAM module if HDD is OK, but I would appriciate any suggestions from you guys!

Also, I will test it on 650W Corsair PSU tomorrow, to eliminate that possability too.

Thanks in advance!

only 1 single package of ram per motherboard is supported, please read the docs linked in my sig below.

you can try 1 set first, reset the bios then set the speed to 667 and install the other kit, raise the NB voltage by .2 and see what happens. the two sets you have may not be from the same lot or just incompatible. they were just never tested together on the same board so Corsair cannot support untested configurations.

good luck:):

I have tested the memory with Memtest in many combinations, and it stated no errors.

As long as I dont plug in 4th card in the slot, everything works just fine.

But even when I have 3 slots filled with RAM, my NB heats up real fine, its barely touchable... I havent had that problems with my earlier RAM, while I also had 4 slots filled...

It is not a real problem, I'm more than satisfyed with 6GB of RAM, so ill just sell the 4th brick, only I would love to make it all workable...

Archived