Corsair Community

sli msi 980 ti seahawks

nathanmaddux

saying as this is a corsair msi product i figured i would ask the experts on the cooling end. i want to sli two 980ti seahawk. my question was since these tubes dont go far, i was wondering if it would be possible to stack the rads and fans of both video cards on the backside of the case. will this create a major imbalance in cooling performance. is it recommended. not recommended. what are my solutions if this is a problem. after seeing the benchmarks of this card i would really like to keep both cards in sli liquid cooled. i called msi and they said it wouldn't be a problem. they didn't really have much to say on the subject and i cannot find any forums online talking about this since the card is so new. pretty much i want to guarantee good performance on a 20:9 1440 monitor for years to come.

saying as this is a corsair msi product i figured i would ask the experts on the cooling end. i want to sli two 980ti seahawk. my question was since these tubes dont go far, i was wondering if it would be possible to stack the rads and fans of both video cards on the backside of the case. will this create a major imbalance in cooling performance. is it recommended. not recommended. what are my solutions if this is a problem. after seeing the benchmarks of this card i would really like to keep both cards in sli liquid cooled. i called msi and they said it wouldn't be a problem. they didn't really have much to say on the subject and i cannot find any forums online talking about this since the card is so new. pretty much i want to guarantee good performance on a 20:9 1440 monitor for years to come.

I want to know the answer to this as well, as I am thinking of doing the same thing.

P.S. MSI Seahawk 980 TI SLI is WAY overkill for a 1440p monitor, you should get a 4k monitor. I checked the benchmarks and SLI 980 TI will be easily getting 80+ FPS on all games at ultra settings 4k.

well my entire reason for choosing 1440 was so that i would have it for longer before i would be forced to upgrade my gpus or lower game graphics for newer games at the time. the other concern with this is i plan on getting the corsair h110i gt and i hope that wouldnt interfere with the stacked gpu rads and fans in my nzxt noctris 450 case.

rest of my build:

msi x99s sli plus

i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6core

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

antec HCP platinum 1000w psu

Acer Predator XR341CK 75Hz 34.0" Monitor

well my entire reason for choosing 1440 was so that i would have it for longer before i would be forced to upgrade my gpus or lower game graphics for newer games at the time. the other concern with this is i plan on getting the corsair h110i gt and i hope that wouldnt interfere with the stacked gpu rads and fans in my nzxt noctris 450 case.

rest of my build:

msi x99s sli plus

i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6core

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Antec HCP platinum 1000w psu

Acer Predator XR341CK 75Hz 34.0" Monitor

I was looking at nearly identical specs, including the h110i gt watercooler. However, I would strongly suggest not getting that monitor. The Acer Predator series to me is a huge letdown, the 34'' is overpriced and has a whopping 4 ms response time which sucks for a gaming monitor. (Basically the other guy will see you first when coming around corners in shooter games). MSI 980 TI SLI is PLENTY future-proof for 4k and I would definitely recommend going that route.

Yeah your right about the 4ms. But I have always used a monitor which is 4 and I get by. And it has always been 1080p. The first use on the monitor is for workflow purpose so. Gaming benefits will have to come second to that work flow priority. And it's actually really nice compared to most 21:9 monitor. That ratio and pixel count is crucial for this build. It will be good enough for gaming in my opinion. My biggest concerns are rad stacking for gpu and it possibly getting in the way of the cup rad on top.

so to answer my own question, the msi seahawks cooling tubes to the rad will reach to the front of the case with ease. from peoples comments before i bought the gpu, i was worried a second one wasnt going to work. seems like corsair and msi strategically placed the tubes in the right spot and has a great reach. as for a full atx case, that may not be the case. but for the noctris 450 it was perfect. i plan on having the first card mounted to the back. and the second card mounted to the front of the case bec the lower graphics card is usually cooler since its further away from the cpu? (i havent actually tested that just a thought)

so to answer my own question, the msi seahawks cooling tubes to the rad will reach to the front of the case with ease. from peoples comments before i bought the gpu, i was worried a second one wasnt going to work. seems like corsair and msi strategically placed the tubes in the right spot and has a great reach. as for a full atx case, that may not be the case. but for the noctris 450 it was perfect. i plan on having the first card mounted to the back. and the second card mounted to the front of the case bec the lower graphics card is usually cooler since its further away from the cpu? (i havent actually tested that just a thought)

You answered my question as well, sounds good then.

Archived