Corsair Community

Do I need to update?

lukehoare

I recommend checking the firmware version with CrystalDiskInfo, if it is below 1.3 then update it before you use the drive.

It is better to update now before your data is on it then to put data on it and run into problems down the road.

I recommend checking the firmware version with CrystalDiskInfo, if it is below 1.3 then update it before you use the drive.

It is better to update now before your data is on it then to put data on it and run into problems down the road.

Corsair recommends only updating the Firmware if the drive is having problems, if stable it is to be left alone.

Also 1.3 will not be the last firmware update as many users are still unstable, so updating now to avoid updating later would be pointless as you will have to update later if you wish to keep your firmware up to date.

I was in the same position and updated to 1.3. I seem no point in delaying updating now. The only reason why I see Corsair saying not to update firmware is they have no confidence in their firmware releases, and if that is the case we probably all should be very worried and shopping elsewhere.

I was in the same position and updated to 1.3. I seem no point in delaying updating now. The only reason why I see Corsair saying not to update firmware is they have no confidence in their firmware releases, and if that is the case we probably all should be very worried and shopping elsewhere.

SandForce probably told them to tell their users not to update unless they are having issues.

The reason is probably because they do not know how the firmware will affect every system and could make a stable drive unstable, and for Corsair that is a problem as there currently is no way to flash back to 1.2, and given how buggy the controller is I really wouldn't take a chance unless my system was already unstable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But it is broken. If the brakes on a model of car have serious issues, a factory recall is issued and you fix every car of that model, you don't just leave the cars on the road for the cars brakes to fail.

I'm sorry if the parts(controller) that corsair used are so poor then, they shouldn't have made the drives available to the public. I have always associated Corsair with quality, these drives are definitely changing my opinion of them, and I will be less likely to buy Corsair products in the future.

But it is broken. If the brakes on a model of car have serious issues, a factory recall is issued and you fix every car of that model, you don't just leave the cars on the road for the cars brakes to fail.

I'm sorry if the parts(controller) that corsair used are so poor then, they shouldn't have made the drives available to the public. I have always associated Corsair with quality, these drives are definitely changing my opinion of them, and I will be less likely to buy Corsair products in the future.

Not everyone is having problems with the drives, and they are advised not to upgrade.

Not everyone is having problems with the drives

Or not everyone is noticing they have problems. If the drive happens to freeze for 30 seconds while you're not near your computer (or when you're doing something that doesn't involve disk access), you won't notice it. Even if you notice it, you won't automatically know it was caused by the SSD.

I know three people who bought these drives, and all of them had problems. One kept bluescreening, the other froze the system every few minutes (both those people returned theirs). Mine seemed to be fine, but then I noticed I was getting freezes too, and yesterday I got my fist BSOD, and the drive wouldn't even be recognized by the BIOS after that (had to do a cold boot).

For all I know, several of the files on my hard drive might now be corrupted beyond repair. Obviously I can't use this system for anything important, and I can't afford to reinstall and reconfigure Windows and all my software every time Corsair releases a new firmware (where they don't even include a changelog or some description of what is supposed to be fixed). It's $3k of hardware plus well over $5k of software rendered useless by a POS SSD.

I seriously doubt these drives are 100% reliable on any system. Some systems just seem to deal with the errors better than others (i.e., by freezing and then recovering, instead of crashing). You simply can't trust them. It looks like Corsair tested these drives for 10 minutes before shipping them out to stores. There's already been one recall and one firmware update, and they're still freezing and crashing.

If Corsair had any shame, they would have suspended sales of these drives as soon as the error reports started flooding in, instead of telling people "we had some problems but it's all fixed now", when they know it isn't.

This is pure speculation and it is incorrect.

Notice the "or" in that sentence? Unless people sit in front of their PC 24/7 copying files around, they can't really know if there has been a freeze or not, can they?

I didn't notice any problems for several days, and even after I noticed them, I had no idea it was the SSD causing them. Most people will blame their CPU, RAM, MB or graphics card when the system becomes unresponsive. Took me over one week to trace it to the SSD.

What is certainly not speculation is that Corsair says in its support FAQ (which I read before ordering my drive) that "there are no known issues with any controllers", when in fact there are plenty of known issues with (almost?) every controller, as this forum (and pretty much any hardware forum on the net) proves.

Deleting people's posts and censoring references to other manufacturers isn't going to change that.

If you can't even tell us what the new firmware is supposed to do (several people seem to have more problems after the update), simply let us return the drive (with proof of purchase, naturally) for a full refund.

That should limit the number of angry customers posting here (and elsewhere), and limit the damage to your reputation.

I am working with the issues and angry customers. You have made several incorrect observations in your post so I wanted to be clear to other end users that your are not correct since I am responsible for the accuracy of the information on this forum.

As far as "known issues", if you can find any official documentation from any controller manufacturer outlining "known issues" I'll be happy to include that information.

As far as a refund goes, tech support does not handle those. You'd need to contact customer service or your retailer.

FYI the forum filter has been around for 8 years or so.

My problem wasn't with the age of the filter, it was with its purpose. And it wasn't "the filter" that deleted entire posts that were here yesterday, but gone today.

I am working with the issues and angry customers. You have made several incorrect observations in your post

What "several incorrect observations"? I merely pointed out that there is no way to tell if a system has "no problems", because most people don't monitor their systems permanently. It's very easy for a SDD freeze to go unnoticed, or for a crash to be blamed on something else. Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

There are lots of posts here of people saying "the update fixed my drive, no errors so far", only to post, three or four days later, "I spoke too soon, my system has just crashed / frozen again".

I probably wouldn't have been 100% sure that my system's problems were caused by the Corsair SSD if it hadn't started crashing and restarting with the SSD "missing" during POST. I replaced it (because the problems it caused were costing me time and money) and my system hasn't had a single problem since. Now it's just a very expensive paperweight. Actually, not even very good at that.

As far as "known issues", if you can find any official documentation from any controller manufacturer outlining "known issues" I'll be happy to include that information.

Excuse me...? So you're saying that it's up to the chipset manufacturers to post about the problems that your drives have on their sites, while Corsair continues to say "there are no known problems with our drives"...?

Seriously? Are you telling me that you, personally, are unaware of any problems with Corsair SSDs on any controllers? Because that's what your support FAQ says. Maybe you should tell whoever is responsible for the "support" section to update it. Beyond a certain point, that kind of attitude stops being merely dishonest and starts being delusional.

As far as a refund goes, tech support does not handle those. You'd need to contact customer service or your retailer.

Retailers won't refund drives that have already been RMA'd. The Customer Service contact form in Corsair's website doesn't work (I tried 3 different browsers, including MSIE). I tried to report that problem, but the webmaster contact form doesn't work, either. I've already sent Corsair (tech) support a message but haven't received a reply. If you have a direct e-mail to Corsair's customer service, please post it here. Thanks.

Archived