Corsair Community

Watercooler Corsair H110 - Intake or Exhaust?

LeCobain

I´ve installed my water cooler at the top of my CM Storm Stryker.

According to Corsair manual, coolers should throw air inside the case (intake). Is that correct? My i7 5820k is heating up more with this watercooler H110 than with my old seidon 120V!

Thanks..

Use it as exhaust. Unless your system is primarily for number crunching with minimal GPU or chip based graphics, most people are better served using it as exhaust. Even then, with your case and it's plentiful intake options, it still makes more sense to dump the CPU waste heat directly out of the case.

That little phrase sends a lot of people in the wrong direction. It a controlled setting, moving cooler air through the radiator will lead to better temperatures than using warmer air. However... 1) the difference typically is mild - maybe 3-4C on a core; and 2) it makes the assumption your internal air is markedly warmer than your external air. This isn't always the case, particularly if other environmental variables are in play, like walls, desks, heating/cooling vents, etc. Finally, dumping all that warm air into the case tends to be equally problematic unless you have a consistent way to remove it. It leads to an increase in water temperature (CPU baseline temperature) and those 3-4C gained quickly disappear after 5-10 minutes. If you start mixing GPU heat in as well, results may be considerably worse. I suspect this is the problem you are encountering now.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

As soon as can I will make the inversion of fans.

My question now is whether to put the fans below or on top of the radiator:

Air From Case >> Fans >> Radiator >> Air Environment

or

Air From Case >> Radiator >> Fans >> Air Environment

Thanks again!

Below is probably better, that said, in my experience the difference is only 1 or 2 degrees warmer if you put the fans on top. It also makes the radiator easier to clean, as the dust will be on the bottom of the rad and you won't need to take the fans off to clean it. I'm just about to swap my radiator fans and I'm torn about where to put them.

If there are no other considerations, put them below the radiator blowing up and out (push). This is typically the better performing position, but you might need another 8 x 6-32 screws to set this up. Any 6-32 screw from your local hardware store will do. Specialty screws are not required, but ones with big, fat heads are out there if you want them.

You can use them above the radiator in the "pull" position if it is necessary for mounting or if you simply prefer the look of the radiator in the window, as compared to the fans. There are a few potential drawbacks to this position. With the fan hub closer to the fins, the blades will move slightly less air. This may show up as a 2-3C increase in core temps on a full CPU stress test. That's not a big deal unless you are near your limit. The second consequence is noise. Moving those blades closer to the fins will also alter the pitch of the sound profile for the fan --- and not likely in a good way. It tends to make things "buzzier". However, if you really want it this way, a pair of thicker 5-10mm rubber gaskets will move the fan those few more millimeters away from the fins, bring the pitch back to normal and likely make temperatures differences inconsequential as well.

I do not care about the look, I prefer to stay in the best performance and durability of the parts, so I will reinstall the watercooler with the fans below the radiator functioning as exhaust (push). As soon as I make changes I come back to post the results.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Archived