Corsair Community

Is Corsair H80i compatible with socket 2011-3

fifo

Could someone please tell me Is Corsair H80i compatible with socket 2011-3.

I can see references to socket 2011 but not the newer 2011-3 socket. Could someone please confirm this?

Secondly if it is is there a backplate included for the socket or does the cpu block fit directly on the socket on the motherboard with the need to fit a back plate? I have read many reviews of people having issues of which way to align the back plate notch etc. and the user guid not being helpful. One person aligned it incorrectly and got higher than normal temperatures thus could someone please confirm this instructions of mounting this cooler to a 2011-3 socket. Secondly the user guide says the fan connected plugs into the CPU Fan header on the motherboard. But i thought it connects to the H80i block and it is the h80i block that controls the fan speed? Could some one confirm this aswell?

Thanks!

Yes, it will work with 2011-v3.

For 2011, you do not need the backplate as the cooler will mount on to the CPU plate.

The 3-pin coming from the H80i is the RPM speed of the pump, it's not a fan. It is there to prevent the CPU_FAN error after POST and can also used to notify you if there may be a issue with the pump. The plugs coming from the fan will plug into the Y-splitter cable which will be attached to the H80i unit.

This blog post should help, there are also installation videos you can search for which too, should help as well.

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler

What motherboard are you going to mount the H80i on?

Thanks for the quick response toasted,

right i was going to go for the gigabyte x99-G1 but have seen bad reviews on that also have heard the m2 speeds are slower on the G1 so now i am considering the Asus X99 Deluxe or the Asus x99 - E- WS (work station motherboard) Now i have never used a workstation motherboard before. I don't if any of you guys know about this Asus X99 - E-WS if so does it have more functionality or more powerful than the deluxe or rampage 5?

I have heard the workstation motherboard runs cool which seems like a plus.

Also need to make sure the Asus x99-ws will fit in my x-dreamer 4 mid tower case.

Each motherboard has its own unique features. Having a look at the product page and reviews should help you consider which motherboard you would want.

I'm not sure about the Rampage 5 Extreme's mounting. It looks like 2011 but i'm not 100% sure. Other than that, the H80i should mount without issues on the three ASUS motherboards you have listed.

thanks,

I am thinking about whether to go for the intel xeon 1650 V3 3.5Ghz 6 cores

which costs about the same as the core i7 5930k extreme 3.5 Ghz 6 cores. Now i am not sure whether the xeon will be even better as it is a Server/workstation processor, or whether it will be better than the i7. but will the H80i be suitable for the xeon which has TDP of 140.

yes It seems like it even when you look at the bench marks the performance looks about the same as far as I can see from the link below except xeon includes f16c intructions not extensively used by appkications yet but this should improve infuture programs.

the core i7 5930k is unlocked and avx2 instructions enabled which are not broadley used by software applications however their support should improve in future applications.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/496/Intel_Core_i7_i7-5930K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E5-1650_v2.html

now regarding the h80I cooler I understand that you can swap the fans with the corsair sp120 quiet edition which has which has

airflow 37.85 cfm.

static pressure 1.29mm h20

sound 23 db

now I was considering this til I came across the akasa apache black ak-fn058 which has a

max airflow of 57.53 cfm at 1300 rpm due to its s flow blade design

max static pressure of 2.64mm h20

noise at full speed is 16.05 db

http://www.akasa.co.uk/search.php?seed=AK-FN058

thus do yiu agree that the akasa seems to be the better choise for static pressure and noise compared to the sp120 quiet edition for the h80i?

This is the Corsair forums so most of the talk and suggestions will be based off what Corsair provides.

Choosing which fan to get is 100% your decision.

well of course;):

Corsair fans and hydro's work quite well together but do lack somewhat in design/color varieties of other fans and it comes down to users particular tastes...

thanks guys the fan roundup was quite interesting the some of the fans were a lot louder than the specifications. I finally went for the corsair air series 120 pwm quiet edition -High static pressure as I think a fan mounted to a radiator needs high static pressure. also it has over 200 good reviews, so they must be good and adequate with the h100i, h80i, h60. I also like the rubber mounts in the corners which should help cut the noise. just hope the screw fed through the rubber mounts holds the fan and radiator. its a pitty I can't use the h100i in my x dreamer 4 case. I gues I will have to make do with the h80i.

ok,

so I don't have to wipe the new cpu, I just place it in the socket apply the retaining clips and mount the cpu block straight on top twisting it a little and tighten the thumb screws. correct?

what I could do with is some diagrams or pictures that show which way you align the block on to the cpu socket with pointers yo any notches your supposed to align with. cause I have read reviews of people who have got it wrong and the cpu is running 15 degrees hotter.

Some have used the backplate before when the (X79?) motherboards also had 1150 mounting holes not knowing to use the CPU plate instead. That should not be a problem now as i haven't seen a X99 motherboard with the 1150 mounting holes.

There are plenty of videos and guides on installing the cooler on to a 2011 socket they should help. The H80i does come with a set of instructions and diagrams as well.(Quick Start Guide)

If the heatspreader of the CPU is dirty or you have touched it, i'd give it a wipe incase it affects temperatures.

thanks,

now what is the best way to install tge cooler. ie mount the cpu block on to the motherboard, then fit the motherboard in the case followed by fitting the radiator and fans?

or first fit the motherboard, then fit the radiator and fans to the case, then the cpu block onto the motherboard? What is the best order to avoid difficulties?

ok,

secondly I see its supplied with thumb screws with Philips head to tighten the cpu block. so this may be a daft question but would it be sufficient to hand tight the thunb screws or you need to use a screw driver? which would defeat the object of having thumb screws.

I take it the cpu block just needs to make contact with the cpu heatspreader not squeezed against it. I will try to hand tight the screw. another thing I read was that the rad should be positioned such that the pipes are coming out from the bottom of the radiator if the pc is upright as recommended. does this make quite a difference to the cooling?

The block needs good contact with the heatspreader and hand tightening the screws will do that.

If the rad was to be positioned upright and the tubing is connected at the bottom, The air will stay at the other end (top). Does it make a difference? Possibly, probably minimal improvements or reduce noise?. I have not tested this so you can give it a go if you want.

Archived