Corsair Community

CUE 2.10.71 CPU Speed Stepping problem

vram74

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet or if it existed in previous versions of CUE 2x, but when I have CUE enabled, my CPU will not speed step. I'll have near 0% CPU utilization and my i5 6500 is running past 3.2GHz so not only is it preventing my CPU from slowing down, its actually causing it to turbo near 3.6Ghz. To be clear, its not hogging the CPU, just not allowing it to slow down when idle.

It's 100% reproducible on my end. All I got to do is kill CUE and the CPU immediately throttles down to the 1GHz range. Re enable CUE and it shoots back up and stays there.

Windows 10 Pro

i5 6500 (not OC'd)

ASRock Z170m Extreme4

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4

Sapphire Nitro RX480 4GB

1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

K65 LUX Keyboard

CUE_Bug1.png.ce23d83e7f015a5c964fed85fb4456ac.png

CUE_Bug2.png.dd35403f1824590cb25f24ddddcea648.png

Hey,

speed step works on my end with CUE 2.10.71

i7-3820 (works for both, OC'd and not OC'd)

But if you just fly through the thread discussing the newest release of CUE it looks like it is quite buggy. Have you tried using another (older) version of CUE?

Would be great if someone with a CPU "closer" to the i5-6500 would report if theirs is working correctly.

I'm sorry I can't help you. But looks like you got a little frustrated about nobody answering so I thought it might help you knowing that it isn't a problem with speed step X CUE in general.

Hi

It used Task Manager my CPU is also doing it.

I disabled CUE 2 and Corsair Link program. Still Doing it. Not slowing down.

The only difference I have done was downloaded a New Bios. I will test it tomorrow when I download different Bios.

I loaded a Beta Bios this morning and it is still doing it. Overclocking my 4.2GHz CPU t o 5.5GHz.

I will uninstall CUE 2 to see if there is any difference. Tonight I will do it, 8hrs time.

1) Uninstalled CUE2 and Corsair Link latest. Cleaned

with CCleaner. Problem still as per attached Pic.

2) Installed 3 different Bios files, still as per attached Pic.

Compared results also with CPUZ 64 same as per attached pic.

Run out of options?

My problem is not the same as @vram74

CPU.thumb.jpg.53ef728dbd46ff93b26af3160ea2ca6d.jpg

• Corsair Employee

We had seen this issue before but it was resolved by GPU driver updates.

However, please note that CUE does use GPU acceleration due to the interactive UI elements. You will decrease the resources the software uses by minimizing it to the taskbar but as long as there is lighting playing, it'll consume some system resources (at most 1-3% ideally).

We had seen this issue before but it was resolved by GPU driver updates.

So basically wait for AMD to fix Corsair's problem?

I really like Corsair products, but buying one of your keyboards has left me with a serious case of regret.

Anyone interested in a k65 lux, lightly used? Overclocks your CPU OOTB!

• Corsair Employee
So basically wait for AMD to fix Corsair's problem?

I really like Corsair products, but buying one of your keyboards has left me with a serious case of regret.

Anyone interested in a k65 lux, lightly used? Overclocks your CPU OOTB!

It's not a Corsair problem if AMD has to fix it. I thought that'd be obvious...

It's not a Corsair problem if AMD has to fix it. I thought that'd be obvious...

I was being sarcastic. Exactly how is it an AMD issue when the only time it happens is when your software is running? Also note that it's not my GPU that's the problem, it's my Intel CPU that's not throttling down when idle.

So It's an AsRock or Intel problem, then?

• Corsair Employee
I was being sarcastic. Exactly how is it an AMD issue when the only time it happens is when your software is running? Also note that it's not my GPU that's the problem, it's my Intel CPU that's not throttling down when idle.

So It's an AsRock or Intel problem, then?

You were the one who mentioned AMD, I merely replied to your sarcasm.

CUE uses CPU resources to drive RGB data. Whenever CUE is active, and you have lighting active, then software is sending bits of data in real time constantly to the keyboard so the LED controller knows what to visually display. If you quit CUE, then there is no data being sent and hence no resource drainage on the CPU.

Now speedstep can work in a variety of ways that is typically controlled by your Power Settings. CUE doesn't use very much CPU power but it will use something as long as its active. If your screenshots are active, then it looks like its about 5% (which should be lower if you minimize the screen). This isn't enough to trigger full speed so if the CPU is doing it, then either your system deems its required (unlikely) or that its a false positive to require full power on the CPU and hence Intel will need to resolve it. We can't control how the CPU works nor can we control your power options. This is strictly a hardware configuration issue.

You were the one who mentioned AMD, I merely replied to your sarcasm.

CUE uses CPU resources to drive RGB data. Whenever CUE is active, and you have lighting active, then software is sending bits of data in real time constantly to the keyboard so the LED controller knows what to visually display. If you quit CUE, then there is no data being sent and hence no resource drainage on the CPU.

I brought up AMD because you brought up the GPU being the issue in an earlier post.

These are animations. Instead of streaming the animation to the keyboard, why can't the software transmit the profile to the keyboard, the keyboard then stores and executes the profile?

Archived