Corsair Community

upgrade psu in dell studio 540 - no post/boot

fixitagaindad

upgrading psu to accomodate new gpu - purchased enthusiast series tx650 v2 from amazon. After install - on button stays steady amber - all fans spin- hardrive sounds like it spins up but no post beeps then the only case fan ( in back connected to mother board) cuts off but all others remain on. paper clip test checked good sent back to amazon just in case it was a bad psu - new psu exhibits same exact problems. Disconnected everything off the mother board (usb plugs into headers,gpu , creative labs pci card two dvd rom drives and hardrive and the two sticks of ram -4 gig total) restart - no change. tried disconnecting power button from header and arching start pins - no change/ same symptoms. only difference i can see is old psu had the brown sensing wire connected at the #13 +3.3v pin of the 24pin mother board connector. Dell forums say this the studio 540 use non - proprietary standard atx psu connection and even suggest corsair power supplies as good psu upgrade. the tx650 description says it is 2.01 backwards compatible and keeps the input voltage @ the standard set by atx 2.01 so............my question is does my mother board need a psu with the voltage sensing wire on the 13 pin to work? and is there a corsair product that would fix the issue. I saw some ax850 post that showed the pinout had the brown sensing wire on that one ...........sure could use some help on this one thanx .....ugh 2 other things i forgot - computer wont shut off evan holding the start button in so have to use the tx650's i/o button and when i install the old psu back everything works fine.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but it may not be compatible our PSU is made to the ATX 2.3 specification and is backwards compatible to ATX 2.1 Spec, your system may take a slightly different specification

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 Features:

Conforms to the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

A dedicated single +12V rail offers simple configuration and maximum compatibility with the latest graphics cards and other components

An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature

Complies with the European Union ErP Directive (2009/125/EC) so the power consumption of

???? COPIED AND PASTED from corsair product description on your website oO

anyways i can use the psu in a new build i am planning for myself but for my daughters computer .......can u answer whether or not a psu with the sensing wire present on the 13 pin of the 24 pin plug is REQUIRED if the old psu had this feature ? i've noted some of your power supplies are made with this wire ----- thanks ram guy ---- ( i know its dell junk but both our computers are outdated and i cant afford two builds right now)

pulled old power unit out - install the enthusiast series tx650 v2 and the computer shows steady amber light from power button - all fans spin - cpu fan spins - hardrive spins up but then rear case fan cuts off . tried all the checks - paper clip - stripping board down and repowering - repowering with one stick of ram - nothing works .........no post and no boot .........reinstall old psu and everything is normal again. computer is atx 2.01 standard for psu - tx650's description states it is backward 2.01 compatible ..........dell states all computers past old pentiums featuring atx12v standard should use standard atx psu ............what can i try OR suggest a quality corsair psu that would make this freaking thing happy:confused:

This is a common issue with older DELLS. You can find quite a few posts here with the same issue. Your was made around the time ATX spec was changing and even though it states it SHOULD be compatible some were still made to the older ATX spec.

I have a feeling it will still use an older ATX spec. They also used a lot of proprietary PSU's Your MB may be one that is in that group.

I'm not sure you have any better luck with any other modern PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

FOR ANY POOR SOULS scouring the internet for an answer to this question here is relief!!

After searching Dells forums i found this:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19339379/19723180.aspx#19723180 showing a pic of a Dell studio 540 desktop (mini tower) with a CORSAIR HX620W power supply successfully installed. When i went to amazon i found it was no longer made but a ' NEWER VERSION OF THIS ITEM' tag was there pointing to this http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/hx-series-power-supply-units/professional-series-hx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-power-supply.html ..........i also searched Dell's website for computer power units and found they sell the the 750 and 850 hx series on their site so my confidence that it would be compatible was boosted. Got the new hx650 - installed and aaaaaahhhhh yes - sweet success plus its modular - a definite plus considering the the lack of space in the 540's case. hope this helps somebody out there.

p.s. thanks for trying peanutz - maybe you can save this one for future reference =)

................one more thing (i want to be thorough) this post on the dell website is what started me on this quest to update my daughters computer :http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19428781/20019233.aspx#20019233 >> I bought the CORSAIR enthusiast series tx650 v2 -THIS POWER UNIT WAS NOT COMPATIBLE with the 540 as stated above - note that the original author states "NOT SURE IF THE V3 VERSION OF THESE PSU'S WILL WORK SO BE AWARE OF THAT" ... well now we know they dont LOL. I did however take his advice and installed the upgraded Gpu he suggested and it works and fits perfectly - i just moved the hard drive ata cable to the next slot on right on the mother board to allow room for the cards length. EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 1024 MB part # O1G-P3-1463-KR good luck with your upgrades and have fun!!

Archived