Corsair Community

Memory Help!

Jackman

Hello,

I could use a little help here. I have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen2 (i875P P4 3.0Ghz), when I use the memory configuration tool and it gives me this part #CMSS512MB-400.

I am currently using 4x256 of PC 3200 ddr Dual channel, one dimm went bad, so i removed the pair and was going to replace it with #VS1GBKIT400 now I am not sure if it will work. Will it work?

What is the difference between the two part numbers, besides the first being a single stick and the second being a kit of two?

any help much appreciated,

thanks

Jackman

CMSS (Corsair Memory System Select) are guaranteed to work with OEM systems and the memory they come with, whereas VS aren't. CMSS do cost more, but there's a reason why:

CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

Either way, don't bother buying new memory. just RMA the CMSS.

My bad memory isn't Corsair, it is memory I bought from Dell, the machine came with 2x256 and I added two more sticks of 256 total of 4x256 ddr dual channel. The #VS1GBKIT400 could work with no problems thought right?

The CMSS does cost about double of the VS, but with this Dell, you cannot adjust any voltages or anything, the Bios is locked down.

All I need from this #VS1GBKIT400 is for it to run at 400Mhz, and operate at dual channel, and I will be a happy camper.

Really appreciate your opinion and quick response.

regards,

Jackman

Archived