Corsair Community

Memory issue with ASUS M3A78

MkDk

This is the second kit that I try to install with the same results:

The KIT is TWIN2X4096-6400C5 and the motheboard is a ASUS M3A78

I install the kit in the slot DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 but the system and BIOS doesn't start.

Black screen. But with only one of the two module the system starts.

The second module doesn't starts either in single neither in double with the other module. This is very strange. I always used Corsair but without this problems.

Today I try to start again with the two modules and the system starts.

I test the RAM with memtest, and the test is complete with no errors. But the system after few minutes, go into crash , I try to restart but again system go to crash.

I use also CPU-Z and I discovered a strange result: Seems there are two different module type.

I post the results below.

Can you help me ???

I just replace once the kit, and I want to remark that this kit module is in the QV list of ASUS.

memory-1205.bmp

spd-1.bmp

spd-2.bmp

If the modules pass singly but not together, then I advise you to contact your motherboard manufacturer for purposes of RMA. You can test the memory in another machine to be certain.

DHX is the form factor. Not the memory.

6400C5 version x.xxx and 6400C5DHX version x.xxx are the same memories. This is just a misprint. If the formfactor is DHX, then they are the same.

http://www.corsair.com/products/xms2dhx/default.aspx

All ok, i resolve the problem...

was the bios settings...

I set manually CAS 5 RCD 5 RP 5 RAS 18 and the voltage to 1,85...:cool:

the voltage was the problem.. in fact at "AUTO" or 1,9v the system don't boot.:mad:

THANKS TO ALL... CORSAIR IS SIMPLY THE BEST !!!! :D:

Good on you. I can't see why 1.85 works and 1.9 doesn't though.

All ok, i resolve the problem...

was the bios settings...

I set manually CAS 5 RCD 5 RP 5 RAS 18 and the voltage to 1,85...:cool:

the voltage was the problem.. in fact at "AUTO" or 1,9v the system don't boot.:mad:

THANKS TO ALL... CORSAIR IS SIMPLY THE BEST !!!! :D:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is no definitive resolved, in fact every morning i start my PC and the system don't boot immediatly, but i try two o three times, than the system starts and work fine during all day, and after many hours.

I read in the asus forum and the problems is the dual channel, in fact in this mode the system have a problem.

I want to be set on manual all value of the memory

any suggestions of bios settings more than the classic 5-5-5-18 ???

volt 1,85

As TrRD, TRC TNR ???

THX.

I mentioned before that it sure seems you have a mainboard issue. You refused to accept this view so I doubt if I can offer you more advice.

No extended timings on this system and that memory should be necessary for stabilty if the issue was memory related. You pass memtest but have issues that seem to be either BIOS or memory controller related.

My repeated advice?

RMA the mainboard.

Dito DereckT's advise. There's something wrong with that motherboard or the memory controller on that Phenom. As to the other RAM settings unless you're into extreme overclocking most of the time manually inputing values will net you nothing, so it's usually best to leave them on Auto.

Archived