Corsair Community

Will Dominator DD3 for AMD work in Intel based system?

Herminator

I was looking for 2x2GB fast DDR3 memory for my intel based system; found Dominator 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMD8GX3M4A1333C7) at a dutch reseller. The reseller however failed to mention on his site the memory is specific for AMD Phenom and Phenom II Processors and I failed to check corsair and thus bought this memory.

Only when the memory arrived I noticed it was specific to AMD Procs.

I did some reseach on the internet to determine if there's a chance this memory could work with my system before opening and installing it.

Found out (correct me if I'm wrong) it's to do with a AMD specific memory overclocking profile (BEPM), which my MoBo obviously does not support.

I did find the thread 'CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 AMD kit on Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6' where a user confirmes the memory would work with the X48T chipset.

My question: will this memory work in X38T MoBo (using the memory's SPD profile?) and doing overclocking manually?

Or should I return the memory to swap it for a appropriate kit. In the latter case what do you suggest; my Mobo, nor chipset is mentioned in the memory finder.

Thanx a zillion!

PS: I'm aware of the fact this post resides in the wrong forum, but I seem to be unable to move it to the correct one; memory compatability.

Yes they will work great on any MB using DDR3 with memory made for AMD you would just need to set the manually is the only thing. They will not have an XMP profile for Intel is about the only difference..
RG , you need a secretary, a vacation or both!

Herminator, AMD would not have the XMP profile. That is intel only. And AMD you would have to set manually. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello Herminator,

Did you happen to buy your memory at Azerty.nl? The same happened to me 2 years ago. I bought this kit: http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/?ID=251242. They even mention the XMP profiles but only when it arrived I noticed it was for AMD.

I've installed it anyway on a Asus Striker II Extreme mobo with nForce 790i Ultra SLI chipset and it worked. It was recognized as 1333MHz memory with a latency of 9-9-9-24 I believe. Never changed any of the settings. I've always been wondering if I should though and what actually is the difference with other memory.

Archived