Corsair Community

Noctua 120mm x 15mm fan on a H100 V2 radiator?

merrick97

Since I can't fit my H100 V2 radiator on the top of my Carbide 400C case as it can't clear my RAM sticks I was wondering if I could replace the corsair-supplied fans with the Noctua Slim 120 x 15mm fans

Specifically this one.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x15-pwm.html

I would then use these screws as they are about 19mm.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-12-Count-6-32-x-3-4-in-Pan-Head-Stainless-Steel-Standard-SAE-Machine-Screws/3816087

Will this work? Is there anything else to be aware of?

Assuming it fits, the fan should physically work the cooler’s PWM controller. However, you are probably giving up some measure of cooling performance with any 15mm fan. The thickness usually has a measured effect on pressure. The best 15mm fan may be even with the worst 120mm fans for radiator duty. However, that does not mean it won’t work. You just may run 2-3C more than the other guy.

The alternative might be to front mount the radiator. On a 400 I might go push pull with that as the only intake. There isn’t really a clear choice without considering other hardware and usage.

It should work. It may not perform as well as the stock fans but I don't think it'll be a radical difference.

The screws should work ... they are #6/32.

Seriously though ... front mounting should be good. The air that it blows into the case will be warmer but it'll still be a good deal cooler than the GPU. The challenge with an exhaust radiator is that its own intake is warmed up by the GPU. With the fitting that tight, you'll have a hard time managing the temperature of the radiator intake, which will significantly impact the cooling performance and give you higher coolant temperatures.

Just a thought ...

Well I don’t plan on doing much (if any) overclocking so I am not to worried about losing cooling.

I currently have my radiator front mounted and I am not liking the fact that warmer air is hitting my GPU since I have s blower style cooler on my Asus 1070 turbo.

Archived