Corsair Community

Corsair One Future Upgrade? Trade-In?

Waterman

As everyone know, every PC or Mac at some point will get outdated and it is time to upgrade. In a few years time when the 3080TI or the 12th generation Intel Core i7 is out, the current specification will be clearly outdated.

With Apple products, it is very easy to trade in, Apple even has recommendation on their website who to trade-in with. This is partly to help off-set cost and also more environmental friendly, otherwise old PC is either in trash or sitting at home doing nothing, neither of which is helpful to the environment.

To Corsair:

The Corsair One is clearly very well designed, many component in this PC can last for many years to come, but the CPU, GPU and motherboard probably may not. When it comes to time to upgrade or buy a new gaming PC, leaving this beautiful machine at home doing nothing is a really a waste. Many of the components can easily be recycled and reused or repurposed.

Does Corsair have plan to create a recycling/trade-in program for current users who like to upgrade in the future? If Corsair currently has no such plan. I think it is in the interest of both Corsair and its customer to create such a plan, because right now I really don't know where to dispose my Corsair One should I need an upgrade one day.

If I cannot dispose my old Corsair One to get a new one. It will seriously make me think twice before getting another Corsair One. This is in contrast with an iMac or MacBook Pro, if I need to upgrade, I never need to worry what to do with my old ones, I know there are multiple trade-in options.

I don't want to answer for Corsair, but traditionally, the PC market is very different than the Mac market, and particularly the PC gaming market

PC gaming users usually want the best rigs, so trade-ins and hand-me-downs don't make much sense. Plus many of us would never, ever trust a second hand computer, for security issues, for once, and component wear, etc.

The Mac market, in my opinion, is much less "hardcore" because you have less "power users" and plenty that are looking for deals, and not the latest specs. So that market is much more favorable to trade-ins.

Of course, I may be wrong, but from my standpoint, I think that's why no PC builder I can think of has a trade-in policy.

I don't want to answer for Corsair, but traditionally, the PC market is very different than the Mac market, and particularly the PC gaming market

PC gaming users usually want the best rigs, so trade-ins and hand-me-downs don't make much sense. Plus many of us would never, ever trust a second hand computer, for security issues, for once, and component wear, etc.

The Mac market, in my opinion, is much less "hardcore" because you have less "power users" and plenty that are looking for deals, and not the latest specs. So that market is much more favorable to trade-ins.

Of course, I may be wrong, but from my standpoint, I think that's why no PC builder I can think of has a trade-in policy.

In this case what do everyone suggest I do with an old Corsair One machine if I want to get a new one in a few years time? I believe the current specification of 7700K and 1080TI can last for a minimum of at least 3 years before being considered outdated. I hate to see a machine like to seating at home collecting dust.

• Corsair Employee
That is ultimately up to you, some users give the system as hand me downs to others. Others repurpose it into general work stations. HTPC probably. I'm waiting for people to start reusing the chassis or modify their unit once warranty period is over. :D

That is ultimately up to you, some users give the system as hand me downs to others. Others repurpose it into general work stations. HTPC probably. I'm waiting for people to start reusing the chassis or modify their unit once warranty period is over. :D

The problem is I use my iMac for all my work. That is because I don't like using Windows to work. I am only using the Corsair One to play game.

If one day the Corsair One is underperforming and need new upgrades, I really don't know what to do with it.

Has Corsair consider upgrading program for existing customer? I don't mind to pay the upgrade fee in addition to the new component fees.

You’re overthinking it. Use it for three-ish or four years. If you can upgrade relevant parts of it then, great. If not, sell it for a little bit or give it to a family member or friend (or kid), and buy another. You’re in $500ish per year or $40ish per month.

Archived