Corsair Community

Data consistency problem with F240GB2

abey

Hello all,

I'm having very strong suspicions of data consistency problems with a CSSD-F240GB2 in my MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2009.

After a smooth hardware/software install and one week of use, I've ran into a number of problems.

1) Three days after a clean install of Mac OS X, the OS refuses to boot. Disk Utility reports unrecoverable corruption of the file system. I have to format the drive and reinstall from my Time Machine backup. My file system are Journaled, and should not suffer (too much) corruption even in case of crash. Here, the corruption occurred after a mere reboot.

2) Two days later, iTunes complains on launch of a corrupted library. It reconstruct it somehow loosing all the playlists and stuff. I have to recover the library file from a backup. As if, last time iTunes wrote its library file, corruption occurred.

3) This morning, Photoshop CS5 stall-crash on launch with some obscure error regarding the color calibration. Indeed, System Preferences stall-crash as well when I try to access the color section of the Display preference panel. I've calibrated my displays this week-end and it looks like the profiles have not been stored properly (though they worked for a while).

I've never had these errors before, and needless to say that lacking confidence in the way one's data is stored is a very uncomfortable situation.

Questions are:

- Am I the only one to experience data consistency problems with this drive?

- Is there anything that can be done in the way of a diagnostic -- or ideally a fix -- for this problem?

Thanks you in advance for any help.

Antoine

Mmm. Just checked the drive with Disk Utility, and it reports *again* corruption, even though I did not have a single crash since the last clean install (see (1) in my post above).

This clearly seems to confirm my suspicions...

I dont mean to bump, but minutes after my post above, I was forced to reboot, which failed. The file system is again corrupted beyond any repair. I've now reinstalled from backup on another -- spinning -- drive. I can no longer trust that F240.

Advise is highly desired as to what to do next, if any, beyond inquiring the supplier for refund...

• Corsair Employee
You should have got an email once you submitted the case with the case number right away. Please check the email again not sure if its in the subject line or not but it should have the case number in that email.

Funny you mention, I did also experience lags with my F240 during intense data access. The lag would last ~5s and completely freeze the computer (spinning ball on Mac OS X). Then again, that drive was corrupting my data all over the place and is being replaced, so I'm not sure how relevant my experience is...

• Corsair Employee
Funny you mention, I did also experience lags with my F240 during intense data access. The lag would last ~5s and completely freeze the computer (spinning ball on Mac OS X). Then again, that drive was corrupting my data all over the place and is being replaced, so I'm not sure how relevant my experience is...
Please post a screen shot from Crystal Disk Info, and abey if its in a MAC you Will have to install it in a Windows system please. In addtion I would suggest using our Performance series SSD's in any OEM system especially a MAC.

Please post a screen shot from Crystal Disk Info, and abey if its in a MAC you Will have to install it in a Windows system please. In addtion I would suggest using our Performance series SSD's in any OEM system especially a MAC.
I'm afraid buying a windows license is not an option for me for such situation. As for using the Performance series, why? I've read many successes using SF1200 SSD on Macs. Why should I sacrifice performance?

• Corsair Employee
I'm afraid buying a windows license is not an option for me for such situation. As for using the Performance series, why? I've read many successes using SF1200 SSD on Macs. Why should I sacrifice performance?
Performance Series SSD's are Samsung Controller and flash and have a proven track record of stability with OEM systems especially MAC's.

But yes I agree there are many using Extreme and Force series drives and have no issues at all.

I'm in Parted right now. I could get this information. Useful?

root@PartedMagic:~# smartctl --all /dev/sdb
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     Corsair CSSD-F240GB2
Serial Number:    10226507770000000011
Firmware Version: 1.0
User Capacity:    240,057,409,536 bytes
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 6
Local Time is:    Tue Jul 27 20:30:25 2010 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
				was never started.
				Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				without error or no self-test has ever 
				been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		 (   0) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x7f) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
				Abort Offline collection upon new
				command.
				Offline surface scan supported.
				Self-test supported.
				Conveyance Self-test supported.
				Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
				power-saving mode.
				Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
				General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (  48) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x003d)	SCT Status supported.
				SCT Feature Control supported.
				SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   120   120   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   084   084   003    Pre-fail  Always       -       5376
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       48000554500188
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       63
171 Unknown_Attribute       0x0000   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
172 Unknown_Attribute       0x0000   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
174 Unknown_Attribute       0x0030   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       59
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0000   000   000   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  0x0000   000   000   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  0x0000   000   000   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
187 Reported_Uncorrect      <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   ---    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
194 Temperature_Celsius     <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   036   044   ---    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Lifetime Min/Max 0/44)
194 Temperature_Celsius     <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001c   120   120   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
196 Reallocated_Event_Count <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0033   100   100   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
231 Temperature_Celsius     <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
231 Temperature_Celsius     0x0013   077   077   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       1
231 Temperature_Celsius     <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0000   000   000   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       832
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
234 Unknown_Attribute       <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
234 Unknown_Attribute       0x0000   000   000   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       1024
234 Unknown_Attribute       <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
241 Total_LBAs_Written      <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   000   000   ---    Old_age   Always       -       1024
241 Total_LBAs_Written      <== Data Page      |  WARNING: PREVIOUS ATTRIBUTE HAS TWO
242 Total_LBAs_Read         <== Threshold Page |  INCONSISTENT IDENTITIES IN THE DATA
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0032   000   000   ---    Old_age   Always       -       640

Error SMART Error Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: SMART Error Log Read Failed
Error SMART Error Self-Test Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: SMART Self Test Log Read Failed
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
   1        0        0  Not_testing
   2        0        0  Not_testing
   3        0        0  Not_testing
   4        0        0  Not_testing
   5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
 After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Ok, but now that I could get some information on that drive (see my posts above), could you please clarify:

1) Whether or not the information above is useful?

2) What should I do now with regard to the return, given that I already filled the RMA form 3x (without receiving any confirmation email) and sent you an email with the information, as per your instructions?

Archived