Corsair Community

A8N-SLI w/ Thermalright XP-120 & proseries ram?

Frank The Tank

Has anyone tried the XP-120 with an Asus A8N-SLI and a TwinX 3200XL pro series? Thermalright claims it works with this MOBO, but the pro series ram might pose a problem with it's extra height.

System:

A8N-SLI Deluxe

1024mb 3200XL pro series (works flawless BTW)

(1) BFG 6800GT w/ one more on the way...

(2) 74GB Raptors

(1) 250GB WD SATA

Enermax 651

SB Audigy2

Coolermaster

Thermalright XP-120 (tomorrow hopefully....)

I have a similar configuration :

a8n sli deluxe (bios 1002)

corsair pc 3200 twinx 1024 xl pro...

but no thermalright....so i can't answer your question...

but i can't get those twinx working at 2 2 2 5 without errors under memtest... with both module.... even at 2.90v...

even after exchanging...

so my questions :

Do you have twinx or a single module ?

Which bios version do you have ?

Did you do some particular configuration in it ?

TwinX matched pair, Bios 1002, 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8v

I actually tested the memory in my P4C800-E prior to building the SLI system so I know my memory was fine. Does the memory work at relaxed settings?

I have a feeling that your problem may be elsewhere. PSU could be under powered. Did you use slots 1 & 3? Could be the CPU, since the memory controller is on-die.

The chances of getting bad corsair ram twice is almost impossible, especially the XL series with the Samsung ICs. I would start testing the components in other machines if possible.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for helping me.

I tried my system with other modules : samsung original and it worked... at 3 3 3 8. (dual 512 MB)

yes i used slot 3 and 1...

I tryed not for long time the corsair at 3 3 3 8 and seemed to work well... (about 2 passes in memtest).

Now i'm trying each module separately to see if they work at least alone... (the first one seemed ok for at least 2 passes (then i had to go to work and it's still testing ;-))...

I would be really disapointed if it was my psu because it's an antec 480 W... so maybe my config is to hungry for power ?

Anyway thank you for you fast reply Frank The tank....

I found a guy who have a a8n sli and a thermaltake 120 on a forum but no corsair ... (just 2 X MDT 512 PC3200 don't know what it is...seems to be noname)

The Antec 480 is a good PSU. Now I would move onto the CPU and MOBO. Asus has BIOS rev. 1003 for download, it doesn't look like it fixes any memory issues but you never know.

I recently built someone a system with a MSI K8T and the system wouldn't work in dual-channel, I left everything the same and swapped out CPU's and then it worked flawlessly. The MSI tech forum kept saying it was the PSU and the ram's fault, but I knew that was bogus. It seems like we're all taking shots in the dark when something doesn't work right on an AMD64, because it could be a number of things. The next guy with an identical system to yours may not have any issues, there's no real consistency to what combo's are guaranteed to work. However, on the 30+ systems I've built for friends and family I never had an issue with Corsair, that's the only part I know won't be bad.

yoohoo a good news...

i tested the first module : no errors after 41 passes of memtest...

i tested the second module : 2 passes and already 54 errors for test 5...

By the way my system is just working fine with my two samsung original module so i think the other parts are ok...

It looks like it will fit, but there's going to be heat issues :eek: That heatsink & fan are right on top of the memory on that slot, but if you plan on only using 2 or 3 of the slots than thats not an issue. :idea: Of course you could go with a thermaltake 103, which is based on heigth and you wont have that issue.

Just got it in. The only way it works is with the heatpipes opposite of the ram, and the bottom of the heatfins does interfere with the taller pro series ram. I had to use a dremel and remove about 3/16" of material from the first four fins in 2 places. I think it would clear the normal XMS ram, because there's about 1/4" of difference (between XMS and pro series). You could probably forget about the expert series clearing the XP-120, you're better off with the smaller XP-90 for that ram.

I'm using a SilenX 120mm fan that is a 14db model, you can't even hear it and it hasn't gone over 31 degrees C yet! If you don't mind a little work, this thing is incredible.

Hmm that's odd. The heatfins do in fact interfere with the pro series ram but when I switched it so the heatpipes were towards the memory slots everything worked fine. Definitely not going to be enough room for the new XPERT stuff but I'm able to use the board and memory normally.

A8N-SLI and 3200XLPro with the XP-120

• 2 weeks later...
I dont really wanna dig up this old thread but this is the only place i could find where i share the same problem. My XP-120 has the heat pipes facing the RAM slots, but one of the heat pipes is going to be nudging my ram in A1 they were touch but i dint want to force it. I haven't got the rest of my system so i can test the ram yet, but wud it be safe for the heat pipe to touch the RAM? or in that case even nudge it? i can take pictures if u like. Is there anyway to remove the black casing on the DIMMs? or is it safe to shave a bit off? Is it possible to use the memory in the Black Slots A2 and B2? any help would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in Advance Black Jack

but wud it be safe for the heat pipe to touch the RAM? or in that case even nudge it? i can take pictures if u like.

Doubtful, but pics would help.

Is there anyway to remove the black casing on the DIMMs? or is it safe to shave a bit off?

Both would void your warranty.

Is it possible to use the memory in the Black Slots A2 and B2?

Per the A8N-SLI manual, nope.

These aren't my pictures, but investigating this topic I came across these:

http://www.geocities.com/wildslik/index.html

I am not an expert and my opinion means nothing, but it looks like this combination isn't a problem as long as you turn the heatpipes to the ram. Even if the heatpipe barely touches the ram, I don't think it would ever cause any damage to the ram or cause any issues because the heatpipes do not get hot enough.

But that is my totally un-expert opinion and I'm sure others in this forum may have a more valid opinion on this topic

Archived