Corsair Community

EVGA nForce 780i SLI 775 A1 & TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF running @ 1250Mhz problem ?

xxxRedEyexxx

I have just purchased and setup an EVGA nForce 780i SLI 775 (132-CK-NF78-A1), BFG 8800 UltraOCE Tri-Sli and TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF.

Upon installing the new memory received today I encountered some form of incompatability with this motherboard.

The memory performs superbly running at stock 800Mhz speeds and passes Memtest+ without a single glitch. Upon enabling the SLI-Ready memory settings in the BIOS, the system freezes upon reboot when trying to perform the memory test. Upon rebooting a second time the returned error message is 'CMOS checksum error' and it tries to reload the BIOS settings from the A: drive. This will repeat until I clear the CMOS and restart with fresh BIOS settings.

The EPP profile as I understand from the Corsair website identifies 5-5-5-18-2T @ 2.4v as the recommended setting to run the memory at 1250mhz. This is what is automatically selected in the BIOS when SLI-Ready memory is enabled and 'Optimal' automatic memory timings are selected, so the BIOS does not seem to have a problem in detecting the EPP profile of the ram. I have set the memory voltage in the BIOS to 2.4v manually and also tried leaving it on the AUTO setting. Unfortunately, same result either way.

I have had 2 sets of TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF (total of 4Gb) running in the system for over a week since I first setup this PC running at 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2T (2.2v) without a single hitch on Memtest+, or on daily PC usage, so I do not believe it to be any other component in the PC. I have reverted back to the PC8500 and all is running smoothly.

Now tell me, what am I missing here ? The EVGA website lists this Ram in their compatibility chart for this motherboard, so I would have thought all would work well. Many Forums have also reported this ram to run Uber-stable at 1250Mhz and higher.

Anyone in the know, your help will be most welcome.

:damnit:

OK. Removed the the ram out of the EVGA 780i SLI and installed it in my

other Asus Striker Extreme mobo. VOILA!!!! INSTANT SUCCESS!!!

I enabled the SLI-Ready setting in the BIOS and set it to MAXOC.

FSB 1111mhz with 1250mhz Ram 5-5-5-18 2T @ 2.4v.

Runs like a dream. SO, there must be some compatibiity problem between this Ram and the EVGA 780i. :rolleyes:

I have messaged EVGA's Tech support but have not heard back as yet.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE IN WEBLAND HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT MAY BE ?

Hey Wired. Not sure which memory your referring to so here's both:

RAM WHICH WORKS GREAT:

TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF

1066 Mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2T (2.2v)

Also works great with 4Gb (ie/ two of the above sets).

RAM WHICH WON'T RUN AS RECOMMENDED:

TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF

5-5-5-18-2T @ 2.4v 1250mhz

Processor: QX6580

M/B: EVGA 780i SLI

GFX CARDS: 3 x BFG 8800 Ultra OCE running in Tri-SLI

3 x WD RAPTORS 150GB

KOOLANCE 1200W WATER COOLED PSU

Bios settings all set to AUTO apart from the ram voltage and enabling of SLI-Ready Memory with 'Optimal' timing setting.

EVGA Tech. Support replied and asked me to try and disable the SLI-Ready settings and enter timings and voltage manually. I tried exactly as specified but unfortunately ended up with the same result.

Maybe a nice little Bios update from EVGA may be in order to correct this.

Let me know if you need more info. for analysis Wired....I appreciate the help.

• Corsair Employee
That MB is still very new and I am not sure that we have enough data on that MB to know if it will over clock to that setting for the 10000 modules yet. But it may be the CPU will run at the settings needed I would try an E6600 CPU and see if runs better.

• 3 weeks later...
hey red i had the same problem but with my 680i board.... it was stable at 800mhz andything above that it crapped itself.. it the ram itself thats why they dont promote it anymore... i heaps pissed with corsair cause when i bought the ram it was over $1000 for 2Gb and corsair themselves couldnt help me... i just bought a 780i board but my 10000C5DF died (dosent suprise me) as this will be the 3rd lot of ram ill be getting 2 died (1 module each time) then on 1 occasion i was pushing the ram in just after i picked it up and the HEATSINKS fell off 1 module.... NOT HAPPY JAN!! is all i can say.... its left a sour taste in my mouth!!! so ive given up on that ram n just run it at 800Mhz until 1 day maybe corsair are willing to help!!! specially to the guys that did not even blink at the price tag that came with it...

I also have found problems with EVGA 780i and the 10000. They worked with the Striker II board but not with the EVGA board. I ended up installing 8500C5's in the EVGA and clocked them up to 1150Mhz. These same modules work fine in my P5K-Premium.

Archived