Corsair Community

Replacing top fan on Corsair 650D need help

Aye

Planning on replacing the 200mm fan on the top of my Corsair 650D with 2x 140mm Noctua's.

Question is, do I need any special screws, washers/grommets to make this work or can I use the rubber pegs that come with Noctua fans?

Thanks.

Just got done mounting 2x 140mm Noctua's on top. Here's what I learned (in case this helps someone):

Regardless of whether you use the rubber pegs or screws, you MUST insert rubber grommets into the fan mount holes first. If you don't have rubber grommets, you either need to order them from Corsair or improvise at a hardware store. If you do not use the rubber grommets, the fan screws will fall through the hole. You can use the rubber pegs only but the fan will be really lose.

After installing the fans I noticed my whole desk was vibrating, causing my monitor to shake. Took the 140mm's out and the 200mm back in and no more vibrations.

I don't know if the 140's were too much RPM for my case to handle or if the screws/grommets were not making good contact with the case. I have a feeling it's the screws. Not sure where to go from here and could use some help from an expert.

Those Noctua fans should've included rubber vibration-dampening mounts, did you try using those instead?

If your talking about the rubber pegs then yes, I tried using those. The fans were way too loose. I had to improvise and use half rubber pegs, half grommet and screw. Seemed stable enough until I turned the computer on and the whole thing started shaking.

I think what I need are some of these http://i.imgur.com/LlvbdF0.jpg but they are impossible to find. I tried opening a ticket with Corsair and they told me my case has been discontinued "for a while" and is "no longer supported".

Unfortunately that's true. The 650D is, I think, the fourth case we ever shipped. It's oooolllld so spare parts are hard to come by.

I'm going to ask the obvious question here: does the 750D, 800D, etc. use the same washers and screws? If so, it would be a lot easier to get my hands on them because they're still in production.

Archived