Corsair Community

Force Series 3 180 GB - Mac Pro - Will not format Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

i just bought a Corsair Force Series 3 180GB SSD from Tiger Direct with the intention of installing it as my boot disk in a Mac Pro, Mid 2010 model.

The drive physically installed perfectly. It appeared in my device tree but would not mount.

It turns out that it can be formatted in FAT32 FAT64 or ExFAT, and when it is it mounts fine and can be used as a giant unejectable thumb drive. However, in order to boot from a device in OS X it needs to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the SSD is not allowing that to happen.

Even booting from an install volume I get the same, the Corsair is 100% fine EXCEPT it will not partition or format in Mac OS Extended format of any kind.

I simply have no use for this drive if I cannot make it my boot drive. Id this a bad part, firmware update, or the product developers never engineered it to accept Mac OS Extended formatting in the first place?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Corsair Employee
Please use Parted Magic and secure erase the SSD then you should be able to do a fresh install of the O.S. or use Super Duper Disk Copy to clone your original HDD. That is assuming that you have an Intel Based MAC.

No such luck. Parted Magic does not exist for OS X either.

I am also attempting to use Terminal, which is more powerful, and am getting the same (or similar) error message there:

ETA:

I managed to get the Corsair 180 to format HFS+ with Terminal, using the following command:

diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT HFS+ SSD180 100% Free\ Space volX 0%

Now all I have to do is enable journaling and we should be good to go... Will update thread. i am sure other Mac owners will have this issue and it will be good for folks to know how

I have gotten everything EXCEPT the OS Install which I will try next. Unfortunately, Wired, that process doesn't work for me since I to not have a spare Windows PC and other such laying around. HOWEVER, it seems you can use diskutil from the Terminal and make it work:

[COMMAND] diskutil list

(returns a list of all devices in the SATA tree -- be careful to pick the right device)

Glen-Bradleys-Mac-Pro:~ glenbradley$ diskutil list

/dev/disk1
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *180.0 GB   disk1
  1:               Windows_NTFS Corsair180              180.0 GB   disk1s1

[COMMAND] diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT HFS+ SSD180 100% Free\ Space volX 0%

Glen-Bradleys-Mac-Pro:~ glenbradley$ diskutil partitionDisk disk1 GPT HFS+ SSD180 100% Free\ Space volX 0%
Started partitioning on disk1
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Waiting for the disks to reappear
Formatting disk1s2 as Mac OS Extended with name SSD180
Initialized /dev/rdisk1s2 as a 167 GB HFS Plus volume
Mounting disk
Finished partitioning on disk1
/dev/disk1
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *180.0 GB   disk1
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS SSD180                  179.7 GB   disk1s2

[COMMAND] diskutil enableJournal disk1s2

Glen-Bradleys-Mac-Pro:~ glenbradley$ diskutil enableJournal disk1s2
Journaling has been enabled for volume SSD180 on disk1s2
Glen-Bradleys-Mac-Pro:~ glenbradley$

Verified with Disk Utility (GUI) that SD180 is now formatted HFS+ (Journaled) so everything SHOULD be good to go. I will now try installing the OS and booting from it, so we will see....

Everything appears to be working on the install. It's taking especially long because I'm porting all my applications etc over to the new OS. Before I can relink my userspace and music library I will have to symlink them back to the original HDD but that's no problem. In another 10 minutes I will know whether the OS is able to actually boot and operate from the SSD. I will update via ETA in this message.

ETA: I am fully installed, booted, and operating on SSD180. It IS possible to make it work on OS X 10.8, but you have to use the command line to do it. It would probably be very easy to write a quick GUI that invokes the commandline for customers not as comfortable with it as I am.

• Corsair Employee
You do not use OS X at all only to create the Boot able CD from Parted Magic and you boot the system with the Parted Magic CD and it will boot to a Linux desktop then under System Tolls select erase, selct your SSD and select Secure erase its that simple. The just do a fresh install or copy of your old HDD. Check your documentation for the Key stroke at Post to make the MAC boot from a CD.

Archived