Corsair Community

Alienware M17X R3 with cmsx8gx3m2a1600c9

Brave

Just upgraded from 8 gig (4x2)hynix to 16gig 2 sets of 2x8 of corsair cmsx8gx3m2a1600c9 and i'm getting reboots when the system is stressed gaming etc, i have been unable to replicate the issue running multy passes of mem test but can get it to "fail" using intel burn test. It only happens when all 16 gigs of ram are installed though when just a single set are used i have no issues.

the previous modules were 1600 as well hynix part number hmt325s6cfr8c-pb (2gig modules 1600 @ 1.5v)

Any help would be great.

It's never recomended to mix memory like that. Even two kits of the exact same part number and version number can actually be incompatible with each other. Since they all pass memtest, and each kit runs fine on its own , then the memory is fine.

Your best bet would be to return both of your 8gig kits for a single matched 16 gig kit. If possible.

Not mixing have a quick re-read thanks :)

Just for clarification, upgraded from 4x2gig hynix to 4x8gig corsair vengeance 1600

and and getting reboots when when gaming or stress testing

Also don't think corsair do a 16 gig (4x8) kit or i've not found it

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but if you are using two sets of modules (Even two sets with the same part number) then you are indeed mixing memory. We would only only support this with one set of modules purchased and packaged as one set.

Please test the sets one set at a time and be sure to go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults, before you test them with a program like http://www.memtest.org.

@peanutz94 sorry if the post came across bad.

No worries!

Also don't think corsair do a 16 gig (4x8) kit or i've not found it

I haven't found one either. Sorry that was my mistake. I did find one 16 gig kit, but it was a 2x8 config. Do you know if your comp will support 8gig modules. Maybe with a BIOS update. Not very many laptops have more than two DIMM slots so a 4 up kit might not be available yet.

Is there some reason that you need more than 8gig's? Not trying to be nosy , just suggesting that if you use your comp for primarily gaming there isn't a need for more than 8 gigs at this time. But if you do alot video encoding or modeling that uses alot of memory i could understand that.

Not sure,will have to check. But it can be configured with 16 gig at 1600Mhz(4 dimms) it'll be interesting to find what modules they are using.

As it is i use some as a ram drive, and run vmware every now and again.

Was also looking at setting up a ram cache and removing the ram drive though

Archived