Corsair Community

Re-Pin Type 4 Cables to work with AX1200i

politbureau

Hey All,

I have an AX1200i and was recently gifted a set of Type 4 cables for a new build. All the cables appear compatible, save for the ATX cable, which has a different set of connectors at the PSU end.

Is it possible to repin this cable to work with the AX1200i, or should I just grab an individual ATX cable from corsair.com?

I have the OE connector from the 1200i that I could use to repin into.

Thanks!

The capacitors and proper sleeving (no heatshrink) are the primary reason I want to keep the cable...

After reviewing the pinout connections on the SF600 and AX1200i, it actually looks like a VERY simple task.

Corsair appears to have kept the basic pinout the same, and only the additional 4 pins on the 28-pin need to be removed - ie 8, 9, 17, 18. The socket types are also the same. It may even be possible to cut the additional 4 pins off the connector.

As this cable is essentially useless to me, I plan to remove the pins, coat with liquid electrical tape and cap and then cut the connector in order to test in my ATX power supply tester.

Will post back when done.

I can confirm all other cables in this kit work with the 1200i. As a note, I did have an issue using the EVGA Powerlink in combination with the Type 4 cables - likely an issue of too many capacitors on the line. The 'P' would flash at startup and I would not get a signal from the card when using the cables in combination with the PowerLink.

As an update, I cut the PSU side connector last night with a very sharp OLFA with LBB blades, and the result after some minor sanding of the connector was a near stock appearance, as I retained the side wall of the main 14P connector. The extraneous 4-pin block now has pin 8 & 9 exposed, so I coated with some liquid electrical tape to prevent shorting, though I will likely either remove these cables entirely or heatshrink the adapter for safety.

I confirmed that all 3 connectors on the now separated 4-pin block lead back to double wired connectors on the ATX 24-pin, and also confirmed they are wired to 3.3, 5 and 12V supply connectors, supporting the conclusion that these are sense wires.

I also confirmed fitment into my AX1200i, although the retaining clip is now in the wrong location to mate with the PSU and I had to remove it.

I realized that I have lent my ATX tester to a friend, so won't be able to confirm final functionality until later this week, and still want to confirm before plugging into my system.

More soon!

Archived