Corsair Community

A8V and RAM problems....

FireWorm71

So to my dismay, I buy an ASUS A8V mobo, FX-53, and twinx 1024 (2X 512's) XMS PC3200C2. Problem is when I put them in slot 1 or 2, I can't post, but oddly 3 and 4 post just fine. I put both in and bam. Works almost with no hitches, except when I'm away from my computer and the monitor turns off Windows crashes, and I have to go into BIOS because my CPU is "overclocked" and "overclocking has failed". :(: It's too late for me to RMA them from zipzoomfly.com (15 days for memory), so it seems like I'm out $340 :eek: for some RAM that could be preforming better and not crashing Windows :evil: . All settings in BIOS for RAM are auto.

dual channel memory slots for the A8V deluxe are the blue ones. Put your memory in those slots - which is 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. And test your RAM one at a time. Put your a 512 stick in slot 3 (counting from left to right away from the cpu fan) and run memtest86+. Do 5 passes, shut down and try the other stick. Make sure its not the ram that has problems. AFter testing both sticks, put both sticks in the blue sockets and you should be fine.

:mad: :mad: :mad: AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! So I tried to run the memtest86. And it's a no go. I see what looks to be memtest86 flash up on my screen for a split second, then I'm tossed into a reboot. So. I tried the memory one stick at a time. Now either stick of Corsair won't boot in ANY of the slots. 1 or 2 (with either stick or my Kingston 512 mb pc2200), and b****ing Betty tells me "System failed due to CPU overclocking". Reset CMOS (cuz I was overclocking a little) and same. 3 or 4 with the either Corsair and nothing. No pic, no Betty, no nothing! Seems to boot up fine on the Kingston (which I'm using right now). So I look at one of the sticks. Just to be sure. And I find that two of the gold contacts are looking like they burnt out! :[pouts: The other stick is as clean as a whistle. :sigh!: BTW, I'm running BIOS 1002, so I'm gonna try to update BIOS, see if that's not the problem..... (update).....hmm I just noticed my power supply, a RAIDMAX (came with the case), provides 420w; BUT on the 12v rail, it's only got 13 amps. Perhaps this is the cause..... (update) Updated BIOS and tried a 400w with a 25 amps on the 12v and again, Betty tells me "System failed due to CPU overclocking" when anything is inserted into 1 or 2; and I ran memtest86 fine on the Kingston in slot 3. Corsair in 3 and 4 got me nothing.

:!: I just remembered, when I got these sticks, I stuck one in my a7n8v, and it didn't post!....I thought it was just the mobo (as these sticks are for 64-bit processors), but thinking about it, it should've at least posted on the default settings for that mobo.

:o: oops....don't I feel stupid :bigeyes: ....it says right here on the package "registered memory"....ack and a8v's (and for that matter most mobos) only work w/ UNregistered memory....no wonder....man I feel dumb.....such a n00b mistake...I dont suppose I could exchange them on my already authorized RMA could I? Please? Oh and it's CMX512R-3200C2.

[quote name='FireWorm71']:o: oops....don't I feel stupid :bigeyes: ....it says right here on the package "registered memory"....ack and a8v's (and for that matter most mobos) only work w/ UNregistered memory....no wonder....man I feel dumb.....such a n00b mistake...I dont suppose I could exchange them on my already authorized RMA could I? Please? Oh and it's CMX512R-3200C2.[/QUOTE] And you traded it for a Gigashyte? :eek: :(:

[quote name='FireWorm71']:o: oops....don't I feel stupid :bigeyes: ....it says right here on the package "registered memory"....ack and a8v's (and for that matter most mobos) only work w/ UNregistered memory....no wonder....man I feel dumb.....such a n00b mistake...I dont suppose I could exchange them on my already authorized RMA could I? Please? Oh and it's CMX512R-3200C2.[/QUOTE] Sorry, but RMAs are only for direct part swaps!

[quote name='FireWorm71'].....actually I'm still staring at the boxed up A8V, wondering.....maybe, just maybe, if I can get away without restocking fees.....and keeping one board.... :[pouts: :[pouts: kill me, now....I feel like such an idiot..... :[pouts:[/QUOTE] I'm no fanboy by any means, but the A8V is the better board. Gigabyte=expensive and offers nothing in terms of "better performance". RMA the memory and get 3200XL modules, couple that with either board, again, my preference is the A8V, and you'll be SSsssMMmmmookkkin! ;): [quote name='Wired']Sorry, but RMAs are only for direct part swaps![/quote] WT?? :eek: ....you mean he's out of all that $$$ cause he bought the wrong memory??.... :eek: :eek:.....I'd get R.D Mercer on someone. :D:

:(: ...I sent an email to zzf seeing if I could swap 'em out, (hey maybe they're nice guys) no responce yet (hey it's like midnight, so I'll give 'em a break), but other than that, I guess E-Bay is the only way to get these "special" rams off my hands....

Lidocaine Hardware Junkie ... what's the name brand on your power supply? I feel so disapointment right now?! :mad: I have a 420 watts here's my spec. A8v deluxe 939 fx 53 2.4 corsair value ram 1 gig 9800 pro ati. :evil: do I need to changed my power supply may be it's old>? :confused: I play games with no problem... but when I go online after 3 minutes it reboot it self? I don't get it. the wires or power are in place. they have there own power supply? did you update the bios on your a8v? lidocaine? :eek: I even changed the memory before for it was LLPt. now it's corsair value ram still same ****?!!! can somebody help me. again. do you think it's the video card? I really good on fixing it but this motherboard it's not doing well for me?

Lidocaine Hardware Junkie is that bfg 6800 ultra your using? or just 128mb cuz the ultra only take's 480 watts. it look's like it's a 128mb anyway I'm a little disapointment for now. I have not figure it. out YET :confused: :evil: :mad: :mad: :eek:

• Corsair Employee
FireWorm71 I am sorry but we do not sell direct and do not have a way to change to another part #! I would try your reseller and if they refuse to help you, then you can make the request to our customer service and they may be able to swap them for you, but please try your reseller first! wolf616 Please start your own thread and list your specs and what problem you are getting and we will be happy to try and help you!

Well, zzf replied and said I could return them for 20% restocking all-in-all I would get $272 back, :D: better than ebay..... They couldn't exchange them as they don't have an exchange policy. Anyway, I shopped around and found some nice memory for $299 (OCZ 3500 platnium 1024 Mbs dual). Nothing against Corsair, but OCZ's warranty policy covers OCing. It's rated at 2.5-3-2-8 (I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 2-2-2-5). So I'm gonna give OCZ a try. (There may still be a Corsair buyer in me; we'll just find out ;): )

[quote name='wolf616']Lidocaine Hardware Junkie ... what's the name brand on your power supply? I feel so disapointment right now?! :mad: I have a 420 watts here's my spec. A8v deluxe 939 fx 53 2.4 corsair value ram 1 gig 9800 pro ati. :evil: do I need to changed my power supply may be it's old>? :confused: I play games with no problem... but when I go online after 3 minutes it reboot it self? I don't get it. the wires or power are in place. they have there own power supply? did you update the bios on your a8v? lidocaine? :eek: I even changed the memory before for it was LLPt. now it's corsair value ram still same ****?!!! can somebody help me. again. do you think it's the video card? I really good on fixing it but this motherboard it's not doing well for me?[/QUOTE] [b]Wolf616[/b] I'm using an Antec 450W power supply........My first one that came with my case was bad, and my system kept rebooting, now I'm not saying that is your problem, but your problem does sound familiar to me......mine was overvolting on my 12v rail. First, if you are not already using bios 1006, I suggest you flash to it. Second, since you are using Value ram, I suggest you leave the Memory Configuration's to [AUTO] until you get your system stable and then you can "tweak" the memory a bit. This mobo is not hard to use, it just has to be set up right, unless you by chance got a bad one, which CAN happen, but most problems with this mobo are USER ERROR. I will be happy to go over some bios settings if you would like, but make sure that ram you are using is compatible with this mobo, if so start a new thread so we don't hijack this one and we'll proceed. :D: Lastly, make sure that your 9800 pro vid card is on its own power lead(molex connector).....nothing else jacklegged from it or to it......1 power lead to vid card only. [quote name='wolf616']is that bfg 6800 ultra your using? or just 128mb cuz the ultra only take's 480 watts. it look's like it's a 128mb anyway I'm a little disapointment for now. I have not figure it. out YET[/quote] I have the 256mb BFG 6800 GT OC......default for this card is 370/1000 :biggrin:

[quote name='FireWorm71']Well, zzf replied and said I could return them for 20% restocking all-in-all I would get $272 back, :D: better than ebay..... They couldn't exchange them as they don't have an exchange policy. Anyway, I shopped around and found some nice memory for $299 (OCZ 3500 platnium 1024 Mbs dual). Nothing against Corsair, but OCZ's warranty policy covers OCing. It's rated at 2.5-3-2-8 (I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 2-2-2-5). So I'm gonna give OCZ a try. (There may still be a Corsair buyer in me; we'll just find out ;): )[/QUOTE] Get the XMS 3200XL if you go back to Corsair. ;):

Archived